Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
hence why i wrote about the replacements for the players sold, as i feel that’s where the major issue was. dahoud and baleba for roughly £150M talent was nowhere near enough. i may be contradicting myself here, as i previously said we don’t really spend what they do, and we don’t, but look at what west ham did with rice. brought in alvarez, nowhere near as well rounded and a bit older than we’d buy, but was ready to come in and do what rice’s main job was, which was to provide solidarity at that midfield base. and consequently they haven’t really suffered his departure. exactly what we didn’t do

i don’t think selling players like pervis, who would have done two years and well and truly proven his quality is where the issue is. it’s about not being able to keep the likes of caicedo for even two years.
But how do you keep a player who is wanted by a bigger club?
I just don't think it's realistic in the modern agent/player favoured game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
hence why i wrote about the replacements for the players sold, as i feel that’s where the major issue was. dahoud and baleba for roughly £150M talent was nowhere near enough. i may be contradicting myself here, as i previously said we don’t really spend what they do, and we don’t, but look at what west ham did with rice. brought in alvarez, nowhere near as well rounded and a bit older than we’d buy, but was ready to come in and do what rice’s main job was, which was to provide solidarity at that midfield base. and consequently they haven’t really suffered his departure. exactly what we didn’t do

i don’t think selling players like pervis, who would have done two years and well and truly proven his quality is where the issue is. it’s about not being able to keep the likes of caicedo for even two years.
Far easier to keep players of the right quality, than try and buy in oven-ready replacements.
The salary model gets in the way of that approach.

Also it isn't just about the level of the replacements.
De Zerbi has drilled these players for a couple of seasons too.
Any like for like replacement needs sto get up to speed, which might not even happen (Dahoud)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
De Zerbi has said he understands the Policy.
That doesn't necessarily mean that he is happy with it.

His career will be measured by his development season by season.
Continually having to rebuild a competitive squad every season, isn't going to allow him to prove himself at the next level.

Emery has been allowed to push on from an impressive first season at Villa, and continue to develop the team.
De Zerbi was cut off at the knees.
Whilst I'm sure he understands why, he hasn't stopped reminding people that we lost 3 important players from last season.
RDZ spent pretty well every interview late last season selling Caicedo and Ali Mac though: :lolol:

He has clearly bought into the club’s recruitment policy by saying he’d never heard of Pedro, the jewel in our crown, before we signed him :wink:

The one player RDZ talked the club into signing, Dahoud, has been a flop

I think he trusts the process now.

There is an inordinate amount of knicker wetting about what will happen to our star players next Summer on this thread!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I totally agree. He's coming as someone who can cover Pervis and contribute down the left but he could end up anywhere. All the analysis I've read and all the videos I've watched indicate a versatile attacking player. Thing is it's the left footed thing. As a left footed myself I notice it a lot- for some reason we all think anyone left footed should play wide. And I accept he has played wide so far in his career. But if he was right footed, like TAA or even Hinsh, we'd think he could play anywhere. Maybe I'm overstating that but I do think it's a 'thing'.
It's not unreasonable. My own observation of lefties is that they miss penalties more than righties. I'd never choose a lefties to take penalties for my team (apart from Stewart Pearce). Or Solly March. Sorry Solly. But my observation of pen shootouts has drawn me to unscientifically conclude that lefties are more likely to fail from the spot than righties.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's not unreasonable. My own observation of lefties is that they miss penalties more than righties. I'd never choose a lefties to take penalties for my team (apart from Stewart Pearce). Or Solly March. Sorry Solly. But my observation of pen shootouts has drawn me to unscientifically conclude that lefties are more likely to fail from the spot than righties.
*cough* Erling Haaland

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
*cough* Erling Haaland
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There is an inordinate amount of knicker wetting about what will happen to our star players next Summer on this thread!
I don't agree. I think the vast majority of supporters have bought into the Tony Bloom process and accept that we are a club that develops players and then sells when the time is right.

Any 'bed-wetting' has reduced immeasurably due to the way the club has demonstrated how successful our transfer policy is.
The 'few bed-wetters' that do worry about selling top players receive a disproportionate amount of replies from posters trying to explain the need to trust in the process.
This then makes it look like there are far more people kicking back against player sales than there actually is.
n.b. I hate the term bed-wetters/knicker-wetters.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I don't agree. I think the vast majority of supporters have bought into the Tony Bloom process and accept that we are a club that develops players and then sells when the time is right.

Any 'bed-wetting' has reduced immeasurably due to the way the club has demonstrated how successful our transfer policy is.
The 'few bed-wetters' that do worry about selling top players receive a disproportionate amount of replies from posters trying to explain the need to trust in the process.
This then makes it look like there are far more people kicking back against player sales than there actually is.
n.b. I hate the term bed-wetters/knicker-wetters.
Fair enough but what alternative term do you suggest for those that just don’t get how this club operates during the best days we have ever known, and continue to get their knickers in a twist?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's absolutely nothing we can do about players leaving. That's been proven consistently over the last couple of seasons. Unless we can start offering 6 figure salaries and champions league football I'm afraid our best players will always leave. It's just the way it is. RDZ knows that too.

Other than huge transfer fee income, another positive from TB’s ethos is that potential signings are drawn to choose us over rivals who no doubt promise jam today. We don’t ‘imprison’ players ….. Parish, Levy compel regretful players to see out their contracts or thereabouts. Helping to make ours self fulfilling.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Other than huge transfer fee income, another positive from TB’s ethos is that potential signings are drawn to choose us over rivals who no doubt promise jam today. We don’t ‘imprison’ players ….. Parish, Levy compel regretful players to see out their contracts or thereabouts. Helping to make ours self fulfilling.
Plus a sell on percentage is usually included which therefore encourages the player, the agent and the selling club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here