Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uwe Hünemeier signs for Albion on a three-year deal

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmmm not sure. He was captain for a few games under Hyypia last season, and it seemed to coincide with a downturn in his form. Something in my water tells me he isn't captain material, but I could be proved wrong.

Dunk was sensational under Hyypia. He was the ONLY player that Sami improved, bless him.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
There are several caveats to this, but: if he actually signs. If he's not a replacement for Dunk. If he's as good as the online noise suggests. Etc etc. I know he's a centre half, not the mythical-20-goal-a-season-man-everybody-wants-but-isn't-really-available, but I'm going to allow myself to get a little excited about this.

There, I've said it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are several caveats to this, but: if he actually signs. If he's not a replacement for Dunk. If he's as good as the online noise suggests. Etc etc. I know he's a centre half, not the mythical-20-goal-a-season-man-everybody-wants-but-isn't-really-available, but I'm going to allow myself to get a little excited about this.

There, I've said it.

Crikey. Steady on, man.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really can't see us shelling out that kind of money to fill the back-up centre-back slot.

You don't tend to rotate centre-backs around too much, as you may with other positions, as the development of a mutual understanding is key to defensive success.

And, as above, the club are never going to say "Yes, we're flogging Dunk" are they?

If it is believed that Dunk is staying, this chap could put real pressure on Greer's place in the side as dropping Dunk would be akin to putting him on the transfer market.

While simultaneously dropping his price. I now suspect Dunk will be gone this window, for a decent transfer fee. I hope it's to a PL club, and wish him all the best for the future. Happy to be proved wrong on this front.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My limited GCSE German tells me our friends from Paderborn are a bit pissed off with this. Good news for us though!

Vier löose :thumbsup:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It's a lot of money on a replacement for Hughes. He must be closer to the first 11 than that.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
Paderborn had the joint worst goals conceded record (65) in the league last season. Your description far more accurately describes Werder Bremen than Paderborn. ???

A fair point, I just don't seem to remember them leaking goals all over the place, most weeks they seemed solid enough - 15 goals against of those came in 3 games but yes you are statistically correct.

The run of 2 goals scored between December and April was what effectively relegated them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Naylor saying bought to play alongside Dunk and not to replace him...

No he isn't. He doesn't say who is going to play alongside, or whether he's going to play. If he's coming (which looks highly likely), and Dunk stays (which is less likely), that looks like a great CD partnership. There is also the unlikely option that CH experiments with playing three at the back.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A fair point, I just don't seem to remember them leaking goals all over the place, most weeks they seemed solid enough - 15 goals against of those came in 3 games but yes you are statistically correct.

The run of 2 goals scored between December and April was what effectively relegated them.

Should have lent them some of our strikers ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wilkommen, Das Boot.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I don't think you can reasonably compare the standard of striker you meet in the Championship against those in the German top flight, and even if you could you'd still have to think about the whole strength of Paderborn's squad against the established sides in the Bundesliga. The best player in a relegated side could still be a very, very good player; we still had Zamora when we dropped out of the Championship, to use an example at a lower level, injured though he was for part of that season.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Whoever he replaces in the starting XI I'll be sorry to see them on the bench or sold, big fan of both Greer and Dunk.

Sounds a highly promising signing though.

albionite

May 20, 2009
No he isn't. He doesn't say who is going to play alongside, or whether he's going to play. If he's coming (which looks highly likely), and Dunk stays (which is less likely), that looks like a great CD partnership. There is also the unlikely option that CH experiments with playing three at the back.

With 3 at the back you say, at first I was thinking you're crazy but could work with bong one of the wing backs also Bruno likes to get forward

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a lot of money on a replacement for Hughes. He must be closer to the first 11 than that.

Depends what is meant by 'replacement for Hughes'. Hughes himself wasn't signed just to sit on the bench. He was singed to be 'one of the three senior centre backs'. He just didn't play because of the form of the other two. He could quite conceivably have played 30 games.

UH replaces AH as 'one of the three'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With 3 at the back you say, at first I was thinking you're crazy but could work with bong one of the wing backs also Bruno likes to get forward

Everyone on here seems to think that we'll be playing 4-4-2 all season. What CH has actually said is that he wants us to play a variety of systems. That said, I doubt we'll see much three at the back, if at all, with the 4-1-4-1 that we finished with against Forest as the most used alternative to 4-4-2.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Why this sudden clamour for Kayal to be installed as captain?.

Its not that sudden tbh - there were plenty calling for him to be the next one to take over the armband before last season finished (me included). Seems to command respect from the other players, talks to them a lot, is involved in almost everything, and is probably the best outfield player we have at the moment. Greer is just Mr Shouty most of the time...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here