Usual crap resumed.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Its results that matter.

Agreed. And the fact is that we lost to Walsall who I suspect will hardly set Lg 1 on fire this season. I suggest that we reign in any optimism that we may have about how the season is likely to pan out. Mid table obscurity beckons me thinks.

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
same old shit! luckly i did not renew my season ticket and insted spend my money on beer at the beach, highley recommended:)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wasn't being petty at all.

Simply asked the question, which a couple before correctly called for you.

But I will be start to be f***ing petty when people start the crap of ' I'll be there'.

Who do you think you are, The Jacksons?

Pack it in peanut. You dont .......Wanna be starting something ................ on here mate

Simple enough for Walsall to play us. They got the ball down our end - cue defenders getting nervous, until a mistake and ...it's there!
In defence, just pile men behind the ball, and as soon as the opportunity arises get it back down our end.

We took two shots that were really not too threatening, and two headers that were.

Snoop Dogg

Jun 19, 2009
I have to say I thought Navarro was pretty average today, and seemed to get caught in possession and gave the away on several occassions. Before everyone on here rips me to pieces for expressing my opinion, I can accept that the lads "need time to gel", and as a result I was suprised that Dicker wasn't playing as I thought he was superb last season and since he has been a part of the Albion setup for a while he would have helped to add a bit of familiarity to the midfield for our defence.

Having said that I thought Dickinson looked dangerous, especially in the 2nd half when he had a partner in attack, and both Wrights looked promising. Also anyone else think Matt Richards did well in midfield for Walsall?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think Navarro plays in a role where a lot of what he does is breaking up the oppositions play - so it's easy to miss the work he is doing. You tend to notice these players when they fail to stop an attack or lose the ball (sometimes foolishly in the centre circle to really underline the error) and therefore what you notice can often be just the errors - giving the impression of an error strewn game.

Not sure why he was in ahead of Dicker - who was immense at the end of last season - but I thought he had a decent enough game.

Snoop Dogg

Jun 19, 2009
I understand what your saying TRHK, and I guess that since I didn't really see either Thornhill or Crofts do a great deal (positive or negative) the mistakes that Navarro made, stood out.

I'm sure the more I see him play for us, the more I'll appreciate the work he does. I'd like to see Dicker play next game though, but I'm unsure yet whether that's instead of Navarro or alongside him. Aside from Mark Wright, nobody in midfield particularly stood out for me today.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going into today's game, wasn't Forster a bit of an injury doubt? Hadn't murray taken a knock, and doesn't quite have his head in the game? Isn't davies also out with an injury, like hart?

Given that, can we really fault Slade for starting 4-5-1 (which was successful last weekend), so that he doesn't rush Forster or Murray back into the team and risk further injury?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Going into today's game, wasn't Forster a bit of an injury doubt? Hadn't murray taken a knock, and doesn't quite have his head in the game? Isn't davies also out with an injury, like hart?

Given that, can we really fault Slade for starting 4-5-1 (which was successful last weekend), so that he doesn't rush Forster or Murray back into the team and risk further injury?

Spot on.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Navarro did ok but looked short of match fitness IMO, and I thought Thornhill seemed to go AWOL whilst he was on. I was just diappointed that nobody wanted to hold the ball - it seemed like a hot potato in the 1st half when players just wanted to get rid of it, invariably with a hopeful long ball.

If you are going to play 4-3-3 then at least use the wingers - after half time we certainly looked better and Dickinson seemed far more comfortable with someone working alongside him.

I predicted mid-table this season, and saw little today that would change my opinion. Adjust and fine tune this season, and push for promotion next season - I'd settle for that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am not at all concerned about the result.

I am worried that we still do nothing with our corners, which has been a problem for a few seasons now. At least Slade highlighted this in his post-match interview. Has cox ever passed the first man without handing possession straight to our opponents?

I was also concerned at our lack of effort/awareness for the second ball. We just didn't react quick enough.

In the first 20 minutes Dickinson had that 'lanky guy tripping over the ball' thing going on, and had me worried, but he sorted it out by the end of the game.

Did our defence watch a Gary Neville Football School dvd before the game? I've never seen a defence avoid playing the ball forward so much in my life.

Kuipers had one of those moments were he doesn't come out when he should, then tries to make up for it by coming out when he shouldn't. Fortunately nothing came of either incident.

The extension to the subs benches look so amateurish, the club should be embarrassed.

Now I got my negatives out...

I am not at all upset by the lose, as long as it is taken by the team as a sign they need to step up. If this knocks they're confidence I'll be upset, if they use this to put more effort into gelling as a team etc I'll be happy. A lot of people keep saying this tonight, but we won our first game last year and I think that bred overconfidence, so perhaps in the long run a loss was the best result.

Walsall deserved to be leading at half time, imo, and while we were much better in the second half, I'm not sure I could say we did enough to earn a draw overall.

I'm still getting used to the new players, but in the second half for a good spell I thought Jake Wright and Cox linked up well, and dickinson seemed to grow in confidence. Mark Wright made some good runs, forster brought a lot more attacking power to the team. Murray and McCleod didn't really leave a mark, the rest of mid field seemed to be one ineffective lump. Other than their proclivity to play the ball back and forth across themselves instead of trying, y'know, to launch an attack, our defence seemed pretty strong, and I think a few moments the crowd were more nervous than they needed to be about some walsall attacks.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its results that matter.

Look back at previous seasons and I think you'd find we normally struggle to win the first game of the season yet usually go on to have good seasons.

The first game is not an indication of what the season is going to be like, we won at Burnley away in the 1st game of the season when we were promoted to the Championship, so why weren't we champions or even manage to stay up by your logic? - Shows you can't judge a season by the 1st game alone

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Look back at previous seasons and I think you'd find we normally struggle to win the first game of the season yet usually go on to have good seasons.

The first game is not an indication of what the season is going to be like, we won at Burnley away in the 1st game of the season when we were promoted to the Championship, so why weren't we champions or even manage to stay up by your logic? - Shows you can't judge a season by the 1st game alone

You mean its a marathon and not a sprint? :ohmy:

Feb 5, 2009
brighton
get a grip, yes results matter but if we play the way we did in 2nd half today the results will come. Pretty much every time we conceded last season the team looked beaten, however today was different in that we chased and worked without stopping. Try listening to what has been said by slade and bloom about rebuilding the squad and that it will take TIME.:flounce:

I Agree it will take time and i think there was a lot of positives out there today!!
alright we lost but we didnt deserve to lose.
If other people on here put half as much getting behind the team as they do slating them it would be a great start!!

We will gel in time and not too much time either

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
I just wish that they could play the ball on the floor - it is a game of football not head tennis - yes i agree they need time but what has the past 6 weeks been in pre-season - i don't necessary think its Slade thats the problem - perhaps he listens to white too much ?

Also people keep saying we were better in the 2nd half - How much of that did we endure last season - Football needs to be played for 90mins

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
The problem is White and booker, they have been spongeing of the club for years and yet wilkins was sacked by Dick Knight (LIAR!) after twentie (20!) years of loalty simplie because he was so successfull. someone told me that altho he is know longer chairmen Knight picked the team yesterday and that is why we lost, I would rather be a norwitch fan personaly like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports