Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Eric Clapton plays the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles and John and Paul are the only two Beatles to contribute to the song Ballad of John and Yoko . John on guitar , Paul on drums and bass.

Just think if Macca had only played on one drum ,he could have created a whole new musical genre that would not be seen for another thirty years.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The band now known as the Sex Pistols were originally called "The Swankers" with Wally Nightingale on vocals, all prior to Mr Rotten joining.

Sid also played drums with Siouxsie and the Banshees (one gig I think) and auditioned to became The singer of The Damned.Thankfully Dave Vanian got the job. Can't imagine Sid tackling Eloise , although he was dead by the time that came out .
He also didn't actually play bass on Never Mind the Bollocks and was covered by Steve Jones on most recordings.
Quality band though.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Another frequent occurrance in the 1960's was "the Cover" i.e. the same tune sung by more than one artist or group.

One that always sticks in my mind is that classic "Hi Ho Silver Lining" which if you asked most fans, they would say was recorded by Jeff Beck, as indeed it was.

But simultaneously another version was released by a group called "The Attack". No idea though who they comprised, anyone know? And what happened to them?

At the time I preferred their version to Jeff's.

My dad bought me a cover of 'She Loves You' by the Typhoons. It was about a week after The Beatles released it. As I was only about 4 years old , I spent most of the 1960's oblivious to the fact it was a Beatle song. It was only when I bought the Red Album in 1972 on cassette that the penny dropped.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Continuing with the Beatles (because I am a bit of a fan) , Paul was supposed to have died in 1968/69. This was discovered during a radio phone-in in the USA.The clues were in Strawberry Fields Forever. At the end of the song , John is supposed to be heard to say 'I buried Paul' when of course it's cranberry sauce. I am the Walrus is supposed to symblolise death to Scandanvian fisherman as well as references to 'I killed you' at the end of the song.
The cover of Sgt Pepper has models of the old style Beatles paying respect to a floral reath in the shape of a bass guitar.Paul's instrument. There are loads of other interpretaions.
Of course the Beatles picked up on this and littered the album cover to Abbey Road with references , notably the funeral procession across the zebra crossing .Paul is the corpse,because of his bare feet(Scicilian tradition) , he's out of step with rest and he's holding a fag in his right hand , when he was left handed. There is also the clincher on the parked VW. The number plate reads 28 IF .
28 if he had lived. Paul had fun with this later on a live album using the same crossing and a parked VW with the number plate 51 IS.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Sid also played drums with Siouxsie and the Banshees (one gig I think) and auditioned to became The singer of The Damned.Thankfully Dave Vanian got the job. Can't imagine Sid tackling Eloise , although he was dead by the time that came out .
He also didn't actually play bass on Never Mind the Bollocks and was covered by Steve Jones on most recordings.
Quality band though.

I remember reading that Glenn Matlock was re-hired piecemeal to cover some of Sid's recording responsibilities though i can imagine that Jones may have done some as well.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BB King's famed Gibson 355 Semi acoustic guitar is named 'Lucille' after a woman who two men fought over at a dance hall in Twist. Arkansas. The two men managed to knock over an oil heater that started a fire which claimed two lives.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
BB King's famed Gibson 355 Semi acoustic guitar is named 'Lucille' after a woman who two men fought over at a dance hall in Twist. Arkansas. The two men managed to knock over an oil heater that started a fire which claimed two lives.

Is only half the story, which is why I didn't bore you all with it this morning !!

.....And he has owned many Lucilles. I recall that this is to remind him that there can be many Lucilles but only one BB King (who I saw live at the Centre and he was excellent). Classic line from him at the gig - "It's great to be here in Brighton, in fact at 68 years of age it is great to be anywhere at all".

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
When My Bloody Valentine first played the completed 'Loveless' to their record label (Creation) the execs assumed that the stereo was f***ed until eventually the band announced that it was meant to sound that way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports