Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First heard Arthur Connoly on the taster album This is Soul released in the late 60's. How much good music was around then and what a great selection. Taster albums used to be quite popular, Bumpers, The Rock Machine Turns You On are just two of the better ones that I remember.

Track listing
1. Mustang Sally - Pickett, Wilson
2. B A B Y - Thomas, Carla
3. Sweet Soul Music - Conley, Arthur
4. When A Man Loves A Woman - Sledge, Percy
5. I Got Everything I Need - Sam & Dave
6. What Is Soul - King, Ben E.
7. Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song) - Redding, Otis
8. Knock On Wood - Floyd, Eddie
9. Keep Looking - Burke, Solomon
10. I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) - Franklin, Aretha
11. Warm And Tender Love - Sledge, Percy
12. Land Of A Thousand Dances - Pickett, Wilson

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Paul Simon never released Kodachrome as a single in the UK as he was advised it would not get any airplay as it was deemed to be an advertisement. It was a massively big selling single in the US

RAF band Hedgehoppers Anonymous only hit single "It's good news week" was written and produced by Jonathan King. The band came from RAF Wittering. I doubt more than 2% of NSC have even heard of this band so it is even more useless info than the average on here :lolol:

I'm in that 2%, used to be able to sing that song:

Its Good News Week,
Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere,
Contaminating atmosphere
And darkening the sky...

I didn't Wiki it honest.

Old Jonathan King got about then, did he ever get over-friendly with the Brylcreem Boys..maybe that explains why no one ever heard of them again.

The only time I ever heard the record by "Christine" issued in 1963 about the Profumo affair, was at RAF White Waltham on their jukebox in the mess. I was there with my school ATC, had a scary flight in a Chipmunk.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
First heard Arthur Connoly on the taster album This is Soul released in the late 60's. How much good music was around then and what a great selection. Taster albums used to be quite popular, Bumpers, The Rock Machine Turns You On are just two of the better ones that I remember.

Track listing
1. Mustang Sally - Pickett, Wilson
2. B A B Y - Thomas, Carla
3. Sweet Soul Music - Conley, Arthur
4. When A Man Loves A Woman - Sledge, Percy
5. I Got Everything I Need - Sam & Dave
6. What Is Soul - King, Ben E.
7. Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song) - Redding, Otis
8. Knock On Wood - Floyd, Eddie
9. Keep Looking - Burke, Solomon
10. I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) - Franklin, Aretha
11. Warm And Tender Love - Sledge, Percy
12. Land Of A Thousand Dances - Pickett, Wilson

I picked up that album in a shop in Heidelberg in 1984! The Germans released it too.

Of course it was Fa fa by Otis, not baa baa.

Land of a Thousand Dances...what was "The Pony"?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I picked up that album in a shop in Heidelberg in 1984! The Germans released it too.

QUOTE]

Having been reminded of it and not able to find it on Itunes, I ordered an expanded version off Amazon on CD. Still good value for £7.00 :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Land of a Thousand Dances...what was "The Pony"?

Have to assume it's a dance

Gotta know how to pony
Like Bony Maronie
Mashed potato
Do the alligator
Put your hands on your hip now
Let your backbone slip oh
Do the Watusi
Like my little Lucy

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I bought an album called Fruit Salad at Sussex Unversity Falmer shop in 1974. It was a brilliant 12 or 14 track Various Artists compilation by Warner Bros including Alice Cooper, Little Feat etc ...
NEVER seen the album since ... ever!!?
Was it a limited edition or something???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I bought a Genesis bootleg album from someone offa ebay which was made in Japan. ( Not the Deep Purple Album) It had loads of live stuff on it that I had never heard of...bizarre

Delilah by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band is the best version of this FACT!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Something I read the other day but was unaware of. Before becoming famous on the West End stage with Evita, Elaine Paige took a small part in Adventures of a Plumbers Mate.

Elaine Paige's big break came in Cats. She only got the part after Judi Dench broke her ankle in rehearsals and had to pull out.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Elaine Paige's big break came in Cats. She only got the part after Judi Dench broke her ankle in rehearsals and had to pull out.

She was famous in Evita (1978) three years before she got the role in Cats (1981).

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
When Dexy's Midnight Runners performed 'Jackie Wilson Said' on Top of the Pops, the goons at the BBC displayed an image of darts legend Jocky Wilson behind them.

Old Jonathan King got about then, did he ever get over-friendly with the Brylcreem Boys..maybe that explains why no one ever heard of them again.

Jonathan King was the chap who heralded the career of Genesis, producing them and publishing the songs on their first album (at least).
Dodgy character, and probably best left in the band's obscure history.
Such strange people are found throughout music though, with Phil Spector and Joe Meek also worthy of mention.
Meek, a gay man in the early 60's, was prolific with the music scene back then, issuing loads of singles on a variety of lables. The Tornados and Honeycombs got him his biggest hits I believe. Tom Jones first got records recorded and released with Meek. He rented a multi-story flat, and apparently used the bathroom for recording the singers while the band played in the living room! He eventually got in an altercation with his landlady over the rent and shot her dead, before taking his own life.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Although not a true fact, the useless one that sticks in my brain is that Bob Holness played saxophone on Gerry Raffery's Baker Street.

So not as true as John Peel playing mandolin on Maggie May?

[yt]kcoWUt51zaU[/yt]

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Keith Emerson, of ELP fame, was a Worthing lad. His mum was a dinner lady at my little bruv's primary school.

Keith Emerson was a computer operator at Lloyds Registrars in Durrington in the late 60s. When I started there in 73 I was pointed out the piano in the corner of the social club bar that he used to play on every lunchtime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here