Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Rod Stewart co-wrote the classic "Maggie Mae" with a bloke called Martin Quittendon, who used to run a guitar shop in Worthing.

Keith Emerson, of ELP fame, was a Worthing lad. His mum was a dinner lady at my little bruv's primary school.

Went to see ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition at a late night screening the Odeon in Worthing (b/w the Strawbs Brave New World) in about 1973 and people kept saying KLeith Emerson was at the back watching too .... guess that now makes sense almost 40 years later!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
before The Who were called The Who they were called The High Numbers
before The High Numbers were called The High Numbers they were called the Who ... (I think) ???

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
before The Who were called The Who they were called The High Numbers
before The High Numbers were called The High Numbers they were called the Who ... (I think) ???

And before The Who were called The Who before they were called The High Numbers before they were called The Who, they were called The Detours.

Make your ruddy minds up lads!!!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Two more infuriating tunes played on "Gold" the last couple of mornings:

"Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley and this morning "Horse With No Name" by America.

SSM features "Spotlight On... " followed by all the then current male soul singers, presumably on the same label as Conley. Perhaps the unknown one is Lou Ross, and the funniest is Otis Redding "with his Baa-baa-baa-ba-ba-ba". That comes off an early Redding single "Sad Song". James Brown is starred as "The King of the Mojo".

Great closing trumpet ending though.

Whoever shone the spotlight it wasn't on Conley, I don't think he had another Top Ten record.

America again had only one Top Ten record , despite having a great band name, you would have thought. Some very catchy instrumental touches to this.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
"Horse With No Name" by America.

America again had only one Top Ten record , despite having a great band name, you would have thought.

In the UK maybe. They had loads of hits in the US.

Horse With No Name was originally called The Desert Song.

It is also probably the only major international hit about riding through the American desert ever to have been written in Puddletown, Dorset (America were all sons of US military personnel and grew up in the UK).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's true - they were notable session musicians in their day.

Chas Hodges (not the bass player) used to play bass for Jerry Lee Lewis.

Chas and Dave's drummer was called Mick.

He was immortalised in a B-side called, "Give it some stick, Mick!" (which I can remember from the 70s - eek!).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simon and Garfunkel's 'Homeward Bound', was written in Widnes Station by Paul Simon when he was stranded there overnight. Having been to that station I can understand why it's such a mournful lament.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Two more infuriating tunes played on "Gold" the last couple of mornings:

"Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley and this morning "Horse With No Name" by America.

SSM features "Spotlight On... " followed by all the then current male soul singers, presumably on the same label as Conley. Perhaps the unknown one is Lou Ross, and the funniest is Otis Redding "with his Baa-baa-baa-ba-ba-ba". That comes off an early Redding single "Sad Song". James Brown is starred as "The King of the Mojo".

Great closing trumpet ending though.

Whoever shone the spotlight it wasn't on Conley, I don't think he had another Top Ten record.

America again had only one Top Ten record , despite having a great band name, you would have thought. Some very catchy instrumental touches to this.

So unknown he didn't actually exist. It's actually 'spotlight on Lou Rawls'.

And the Otis Redding lyric is 'Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa...' etc. It's from the song 'Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)'.

:thumbsup:

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Blue Monday by New Order is the longest ever number 1 at around 7 mins.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Blue Monday by New Order is the longest ever number 1 at around 7 mins.

Pedant alert - it never reached Number 1. It is however, the best selling 12 inch single ever, and the more they sold, the more money the band lost due to the instrinsic individual artwork on the sleeve

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Pedant alert - it never reached Number 1. It is however, the best selling 12 inch single ever, and the more they sold, the more money the band lost due to the instrinsic individual artwork on the sleeve

I stand corrected:
At nearly seven-and-a-half minutes, "Blue Monday" is one of the longest tracks ever to chart in the UK. It has been cited as the biggest selling 12" single of all time.

Only got to number nine in 1983 :(

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour

I've heard this before but it just doesn't make sense that they continued to lose money. They may have made a loss on the initial sleeve pressings and then would have reverted to a simpler sleeve later on.
Nevertheless if anyone wants to purchase my original sleeve let the auction begin..:thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" Rikki don't lose that number " by Steely Dan is not a love song but an appeal to their sometime guitarist Rick Derringer to stay with the band on a permanant basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here