Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Rod Stewart co-wrote the classic "Maggie Mae" with a bloke called Martin Quittendon, who used to run a guitar shop in Worthing.

Wonder how much he's made on royalties from that one song over the years ?

Keith Emerson, of ELP fame, was a Worthing lad. His mum was a dinner lady at my little bruv's primary school.

Billy Idol grew up in Worthing, for a few years at least. Never knew him personally, but I had a girlfriend in the mid 1970's, who had previously gone out with William Broad, as he then was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
max, i was there for them all. black uhuru played as well i think? i also saw uhuru at the rainbow the night a guy was stabbed to death. apart from my sister i was the only white face there. it was rather scary!

Yep, I remember Black Uhuru there - I'm sure there were a few more but the old brain is going a bit.

I remember seeing Culture at the Rainbow and someone was stabbed outside the theatre as we were coming out (I think he survived though). Under heavy manners

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Similarly both Leo Sayer and Al Stewart refer to Worthing in a couple of songs .... I think Al sums it all up:

Ah the day we decided to drive down to Worthing, it rained and rained
Giving us only a minute to stand by the sea
And crunching my way through the shingles, it seemed there was nothing changed
Though the jetty was maybe more scarred that I'd known it to be
And Mandi and I stood and stared at the overcast sky
Where ten years ago we had stood, my Grandfather and I
And the waves still rushed in as they had the year that he died
And it seemed that my lifetime was shrunken and lost in the tide
As it rose and fell on the side of England

Rather poetic that. I guess there's been a thread on NSC about Brighton being mentioned in songs, but how about more prosaic places like Hove (actually)? Or Lewes? Or indeed Falmer.....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Another useless fact, but relevant to football, and maybe even to Albion - you MUST get a new song for Falmer IMHO - is that the lyrics of the football anthem "Good Old Arsenal" composed for the FA Cup Final of 1971 between Arsenal and Liverpool were witten by none other (so he claims) than Jimmy Hill.

Apparently Arsenal didn't have a team theme whereas of course Liverpool had "You'll Never Walk Alone" even then. Luckily for Jimmy Arsenal scraped a 1-0 win and the record hit the charts.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Another useless fact, but relevant to football, and maybe even to Albion - you MUST get a new song for Falmer IMHO - is that the lyrics of the football anthem "Good Old Arsenal" composed for the FA Cup Final of 1971 between Arsenal and Liverpool were witten by none other (so he claims) than Jimmy Hill.

Apparently Arsenal didn't have a team theme whereas of course Liverpool had "You'll Never Walk Alone" even then. Luckily for Jimmy Arsenal scraped a 1-0 win and the record hit the charts.

Sorry for the pedantry, but it was 2-1 wasn't it? Steve Heighway scored for Liverpool.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sid Vicious never played bass on the Bollocks Album,
They were provided by Steve Jones.
Took 20 years for that snip to be revealed

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Rod Stewart was lead singer in the Kinks before Ray Davies

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rod Stewart was lead singer in the Kinks before Ray Davies

No he wasn't, Ray Davies formed the band with his brother Dave. He was lead singer in the Ray Davies Quartet, Davies' previous band. It did however become the Kinks.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
No he wasn't, Ray Davies formed the band with his brother Dave. He was lead singer in the Ray Davies Quartet, Davies' previous band. It did however become the Kinks.

Okay then.. :
the band that was to 'become' the Kinks... lol

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Apparently, the Kinks classic "See My Friends" is all about Ray Davies' coming to terms with his bisexuality....

If you listen to the song in that context, it makes perfect sense.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Leo Sayer refernces Worthing in his hit "Moonlighting", when he talks about the Mexican disco, and the van parked just off Montague Street.

I remember seeing a young Leo Sayer performing with his band Patches at Worthing Collge back in 71 or 72. His talent stood out a mile. A couple of years later a mate of mine went over to audition for Leo's new band, when Adam Faith was managing him, Didn't get the gig, sadly....

Leo Sayer's real name is Gerry... used to be a porter at Southlands Hospital .... played the Swiss Cottage in Shoreham before he made it!

Sid Vicious never played bass on the Bollocks Album,
They were provided by Steve Jones.
Took 20 years for that snip to be revealed

At the time it was recorded, Sid bloody Vicious wasn't even in the band! Remember Glen Matlock?

As for Jonesy playing bass.....it's dubious that he even played his instrument of choice on it. I did ask John if Chris Spedding was the actual session man on the LP, and he declined to answer...changing the subject somewhat evasively, even. So, Spedding it is then!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Leo Sayer refernces Worthing in his hit "Moonlighting", when he talks about the Mexican disco, and the van parked just off Montague Street.

I remember seeing a young Leo Sayer performing with his band Patches at Worthing Collge back in 71 or 72. His talent stood out a mile. A couple of years later a mate of mine went over to audition for Leo's new band, when Adam Faith was managing him, Didn't get the gig, sadly....

Leo Sayer's real name is Gerry... used to be a porter at Southlands Hospital .... played the Swiss Cottage in Shoreham before he made it!

Lived on a houseboat in Shoreham?

Rod Stewart dwelled for a while, on a hippy houseboat in Shoreham near the footbridge, by 'The Lady Jane' boozer. He then went to France, and got deported for being disorderly or taking drugs or something. The houseboat was vilified by the neighbours, who were far too hoity toity to suffer hippies taking drugs - and eventually it got towed off the mud and burned for being rodent-infested! We have come so far since the days of dunking witches!!

Lived on a houseboat in Shoreham?

Dunno about LS's talent shining - he was known to be a bit of an awful crooner when heard in Shoreham. I mean, even with his hits you can imagine that voice was a bit shit, without a chart success to give it cred.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mike Pratt, who played Jeff Randall in the original Randall & Hopkirk Deceased wrote Little White Bull for Tommy Steele.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
At the time it was recorded, Sid bloody Vicious wasn't even in the band! Remember Glen Matlock?

As for Jonesy playing bass.....it's dubious that he even played his instrument of choice on it. I did ask John if Chris Spedding was the actual session man on the LP, and he declined to answer...changing the subject somewhat evasively, even. So, Spedding it is then!

"At the time it was recorded, Sid bloody Vicious wasn't even in the band!"

Matlock left the Sex Pistols in late February 1977
NMTB was released in October 1977

Remember Glen Matlock? have met him many times :thumbsup:

You may have been a neighbour to John, but know little of the history.
Jones did the base lines.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
As Def Leppard's 'Love Bites' fades out, the producer ('Mutt' Lange) adopts a Sheffield accent and says 'Oh, bloody hell'. Not a Satanist comment played backwards etc etc.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
In Norman Wisdom's version of GOSBTS he sings "We're going up AND we'll win the cup",at somewhere approaching the right speed.

I sang with Ralph McTell at the Sidmouth Festival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here