Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Al Stewar's love affair with Sussex continues in Not the One:

It's the kind of grey November day that washes away reflections
In the eys of hotel porters
And the latticed wooden benches by the sea contain no traveller
Or Irish lady authors
And the girl in the raincoat walks the lanes of Brighton
With her collar turned against the wind
And hovers in the doorways of second-hand bookshops
Among the dust and fading print
And you're not the one she's thinking of
And you're not the one she really wants
Just a point along the line she's leaving from

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Al Stewar's love affair with Sussex continues in Not the One:

Love Al Stewart.

I believe he had relatives in Worthing and his 1st guitar came from a Worthing shop. I recall this from some spiel from him whilst playing at the Worthing Assembly Halls. Who'd have thunk the great Al Stewart would have sunk to playing there..

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Novelty Viz-related single 'Bags of Fun With Buster' by Johnny Japes and his Jesticles was actually recorded by XTC - proper useless that one :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Love Al Stewart.

I believe he had relatives in Worthing and his 1st guitar came from a Worthing shop. I recall this from some spiel from him whilst playing at the Worthing Assembly Halls. Who'd have thunk the great Al Stewart would have sunk to playing there..

Tend to remember his mum and him moved from Paisley near Glasgow to Bournemouth in the 1950s where they settled ... but quite a few of his songs have references to Sussex and the South Coast in general ... I too love his music and he is still brill on stage even playing gigs of 50 odd!

Sep 20, 2005
Jane Birkin (who had a hit with Serge Gainsbourg...."Je T'Aime") had an album in France in 1973 called "Di Doo Dah". It featured a song called "La Baigneuse de Brighton" (the -female- bather of Brighton) which references loads of places in Brighton.....The Pavilion, the Lanes, Adelaide Crescent, Old Steine, Black Rock Railway and Whitehawk, among loads of others.
It's a great album too.
ref=dp_image_0

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Tend to remember his mum and him moved from Paisley near Glasgow to Bournemouth in the 1950s where they settled ... but quite a few of his songs have references to Sussex and the South Coast in general ... I too love his music and he is still brill on stage even playing gigs of 50 odd!

I've seen Al Stewart a few times - bloody good voice and great songs. Haven't seen anything new though for a couple of years or more.
I think he lives in LA now off the proceeds of "Year of the cat" !!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I've seen Al Stewart a few times - bloody good voice and great songs. Haven't seen anything new though for a couple of years or more.
I think he lives in LA now off the proceeds of "Year of the cat" !!

Uncorked (released this year) and Sparks of Ancient Light (2008) are brilliant albums ... he does seem to tour in the UK every year and is quite grey and balding now but his voice is as strong as ever and he seems really easy on stage, usually cracking a few jokes with the audience too

In the same vein :facepalm:

Jackson Browne - Rosie

But Rosie you're all right - you wear my ring
When you hold me tight - Rosie that's my thing
When you turn out the light - I've got to hand it to me
Looks like it's me and you again tonight Rosie

On that note..... I knew a gal in LA who had a line from a Jackson Browne track 'Red Neck Friend' on the bow of her boat. She said she loved JB, so I curiously asked her what she thought 'Red-Neck Friend' was about. She was jolly upset, I must say, when I broke the news to her that it was about his penis.

"Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line
And see if we can't get in touch with a very close friend of mine
But let me clue you in, it ain't like him
To argue or pretend--
Honey let me introduce you to my redneck friend"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On that note..... I knew a gal in LA who had a line from a Jackson Browne track 'Red Neck Friend' on the bow of her boat. She said she loved JB, so I curiously asked her what she thought 'Red-Neck Friend' was about. She was jolly upset, I must say, when I broke the news to her that it was about his penis.

"Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line
And see if we can't get in touch with a very close friend of mine
But let me clue you in, it ain't like him
To argue or pretend--
Honey let me introduce you to my redneck friend"

Jackson Browne wrote a song about his penis ? What the hell was Rockin' Robin about then ? Makes you understand why Michael Jackson had his 'issues'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncorked (released this year)

That is my current favourite album, there is some stunning acoustic guitar playing on that album and the song choices are less obvious than his other live offerings, no sign of Year of the Cat or On The Border.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Leo Sayer refernces Worthing in his hit "Moonlighting", when he talks about the Mexican disco, and the van parked just off Montague Street.

I remember seeing a young Leo Sayer performing with his band Patches at Worthing Collge back in 71 or 72. His talent stood out a mile. A couple of years later a mate of mine went over to audition for Leo's new band, when Adam Faith was managing him, Didn't get the gig, sadly....

Also, there's a Supertramp song where they talk about going down to Worthing, but I can't remember which one...

Also, the incomparable Steve Harley references Brighton is the epic "Tumbling Down"

"Juvenile tale, see the Titanic sail into Brighton
The Hemingway staccato, the tragic bravado, can frighten"

Steve Harley also references Brighton in another song - do you know which one ?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
a sad one for me given the death of the great man, but i saw gregory isaacs at the top rank in the autumn of 1981 (i think). the place was not full.

he walked on,started to sing "night nurse" i think, and i noticed that his flies were open.

I'm at the front, i look him him the eye and give him the nod. he looks at me, does up his flies and says, simply, irie man.

great memories of a great man.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
a sad one for me given the death of the great man, but i saw gregory isaacs at the top rank in the autumn of 1981 (i think). the place was not full.

he walked on,started to sing "night nurse" i think, and i noticed that his flies were open.

I'm at the front, i look him him the eye and give him the nod. he looks at me, does up his flies and says, simply, irie man.

great memories of a great man.

I was there for that - missed the flies incident though.

Top Rank used to have a few decent reggae acts: I saw the late, lamented Dennis Brown and Michael Smith there. I think Culture played there as well

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Neil Tennant used to be a journalist for Smash Hits

He did indeed and after badgering him at a party he got me an interview on Smash Hits when I'd just left journalism college. Mark Ellen interviewed me, was impressed with my portfolio and said nice things ... but then said that he was really looking for someone younger and I was too old. I was 25 but at that moment I felt 65.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I was there for that - missed the flies incident though.

Top Rank used to have a few decent reggae acts: I saw the late, lamented Dennis Brown and Michael Smith there. I think Culture played there as well

max, i was there for them all. black uhuru played as well i think? i also saw uhuru at the rainbow the night a guy was stabbed to death. apart from my sister i was the only white face there. it was rather scary!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here