Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter of Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers fame got his name after he arrived at a friends apartment, very drunk and dying to urinate. The person opened the door at which point Baxter urinated all over him and he screamed 'You Skunk !'

Ahem....I doubt that. More likely his love of the demon skunk-weed!

'Skunk' turned in a studio jam at Cherokee Studios Hollywood, behind a Formula 1 racing driver Jeff Gordon that I attended. He was poor, maybe disinterested. The better player that evening was an amazing lad who was, to all intents and purposes, clinically deaf!
I asked him how he knew what and when to play, and he told me he watched the bass-player to get his cues and keys.

Later on, I had a little pluck at the Telecaster guitar Skunk was playing, but when one of the friendly lads who owned the studio struck up the organ playing 'Green Onions', yours truly froze... a bit too shy to try jamming with such a seasoned musician :ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi lost the tips of three of his fingers on his right (fretting) hand in an industrial accident in the 1960s....

....and he toured briefly with Jethro Tull when their first guitarist quit (if you watch the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus, you'll see him playing with Tull).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tom Robinson, writer of the gay anthem 'Glad to be gay' is not in fact gay but bisexual. He is married to a lady called Sue Brearley and they have two children.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ahem....I doubt that. More likely his love of the demon skunk-weed!

'Skunk' turned in a studio jam at Cherokee Studios Hollywood, behind a Formula 1 racing driver Jeff Gordon that I attended. He was poor, maybe disinterested. The better player that evening was an amazing lad who was, to all intents and purposes, clinically deaf!
I asked him how he knew what and when to play, and he told me he watched the bass-player to get his cues and keys.

Later on, I had a little pluck at the Telecaster guitar Skunk was playing, but when one of the friendly lads who owned the studio struck up the organ playing 'Green Onions', yours truly froze... a bit too shy to try jamming with such a seasoned musician :ohmy:

Well okay that's the story I was told. You know what he does now ? He's on a government committee that advises on Missile defence !

....and he toured briefly with Jethro Tull when their first guitarist quit (if you watch the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus, you'll see him playing with Tull).

Tull's debut single was erroneously credited to Jethro Toe.
Probably done over the phone and mis-heard at the lable printing.
It was on MGM Records, before they transferred to Island Records. Island however, credited the songwriting to 'Ian Henderson' on a subsequent single.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes I heard something along those lines! Bizarre though isn't it?
Maybe the weed helps him concentrate still though! :p

It's to do with his interest in hardware and software in the early eighties, he took an interest in it's Military applications. Must be just about the most bizarre change of a musician's career ever.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Grant Nicholas of Feeder had to cancel a concert 1/2 way through at the Brighton Centre in 2006 due to losing his voice.
The re arranged gig was awesome!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm afraid it's true. I was there and witnessed it.

I was there for the first performance on the 4th - I remember every one else but Chas & Dave (possibly having an extended crap in those lovely Portaloos more likely I decided they were also crap & went for a chemically enhanced stroll).

The Support Bands lineup were very poor considering except for Fairport Convention who were a late addition and probably did the set of the day.

Never mind Led Zeppelin were 'good enough' which by everyone elses standards would be mind blowing....:clap2:

It all happened over 30 years ago!:ohmy:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Alison Krauss and Robert Plant won a Grammy in 2007 for the song "Killing The Blues" The song was written by Rowland Salley who is Chris Isaak's bass player

Counting Crows song "Mr Jones" is about Kenney Dale Johnson - Chris Isaak's drummer

Gloria Estefan's percussionist Raphael Padilla is Chris Isaak's percussionist

Stevie Nicks keyboard player Scotty Plunkett is Chris Isaak's keyboard player

*** Useless fact is that when your wife is a Chris Isaak fanatic you learn far too many Chris Isaak facts by osmosis ***

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Rod Stewart played the harmonica on Millies hit, 'My Boy Lollipop'.

The term 'Pulling Mussels From a Shell', the Squeeze hit, is a reference to 'fingering' females. Ha!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I recently recommended the Robert Plant album Band of Joy, Los Lobos album Tin Can Trust & Townes by the mighty Steve Earle as top albums so far this year.
First track on Band of Joy is written by Los Lobos - Angel Dance.
Tenth track is Townes van Zandt's final song - the wonderful Harm's Swift Way.
And the super Steve Earle's album Townes is a tribute to his good friend and mentor of the same name. Little known facts, coincidence or just damned good taste in music?

I recently recommended the Robert Plant album Band of Joy, Los Lobos album Tin Can Trust & Townes by the mighty Steve Earle as top albums so far this year.
First track on Band of Joy is written by Los Lobos - Angel Dance.
Tenth track is Townes van Zandt's final song - the wonderful Harm's Swift Way.
And the super Steve Earle's album Townes is a tribute to his good friend and mentor of the same name. Little known facts, coincidence or just damned good taste in music?

And Steve Earles son, Justin Townes Earle, has his middle name as a tribute to his dad's hero. Justin Townes Earle current album "Harlem River Blues" is excellent as are his other ones.

Steve Earle has been married 6 times, two of the marriages to the same woman. Current wife, Alison Moorer, is sister to Shelby Lynne.

Steve Earle doesn't make bad albums, just some that are better than others.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Listening to "Gold" this morning, for the umpteenth time they played "Give me Just a Little More time" by Chairmen of the Board, and for the umpteeenth time I made sure that I replicated General Johnson's "Brrrp" noise right towards the end of the record.

As this thread has been going on for some time, can I end it by revealing that Chairman of the Board's fabulous "Give me just a little more time" which began this thread, was written by one Edythe Wayne. Edythe was in fact Holland/Dozier/Holland, who were at the time in dispute with Motown after quitting as writers for the label to form their own record label.

Jimmy Grimble

Johnny Marr leant Noel Gallagher a 1960 Gibson Les Paul when Oasis were small-time because Noel's then guitar wasn't good enough and Noel didn't have enough money to buy his own one. Said guitar had been given to Marr by none other than Pete Townsend. A few months later - after the guitar had been used to record Live Forever - at a gig in Newcastle the guitar ended up over someone's head who had attacked Liam on stage.

If there was one guitar you wouldn't mind being hit over the head by...

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The fantastic 'I am the beat' by The Look is the worlds longest single...

A nick was cut out of one of the grooves at the end of the record so the needle would jump back and the word 'beat' is repeated till the end of time! (or you lifted the needle off)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
'Turning Japanese' by the Vapors is a song about masturbation. There's no truth in the rumour that it's the theme song of some of the posters here though. I think it would be more appropriate than 'Glad all Over' where applicable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here