Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Nice were once a backing band for PP Arnold, although it was Stevie Marriott from the Small Faces who did the backing vocals - and PP Arnold did the backing vocals on the Small Faces 'Lttle Tin Soldier' - and the the Small Faces recorded 'Here comes The Nice' - cosy, eh?

...and Sandy Denny sang backing vocals on Led Zeppelin IV.....

PP Arnold's only hit, as far as I recall, was The First Cut is the Deepest written by the seriously under rated Yusuf, better known as Cat Stevens.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
DJ David Rodigan is also featured in an R Whites Lemonade advert, is David Rodigan Elvis Costellos Dad? I know the answer is no, just thought I'd throw it in.

Well, the ad i'm thinking of is circa '75 (?) and is basically a chap in his PJ's and very large black NHS specs,creeping downstairs to the fridge in the middle of the night, only to get busted by his wife.
I'm pretty certain it's Elvis' dad......although i'm starting to wonder now:shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, the ad i'm thinking of is circa '75 (?) and is basically a chap in his PJ's and very large black NHS specs,creeping downstairs to the fridge in the middle of the night, only to get busted by his wife.
I'm pretty certain it's Elvis' dad......although i'm starting to wonder now:shrug:

Elvis's dad did the singing on the track but, AFAIK, is not the guy in the PJs

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
"Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Contaminating atmosphere
And blackening the street.

Remember it well, I think they were on Hughie Greens Talent show from the 60's

I knew that, in fact they used to maintain Canberra Bombers which were known for their 'hedge hopping' (low flying to avoid radar) abilities hence the name.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Dr Hook's single "Cover of the Rolling Stone" was banned by the BBC for advertising ( the Rolling Stone being an american music magazine), so the band rerecorded it as "Cover of the Radio Times" and banned the BBC from playing it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Greg Lake of ELP used to be in King Crimson whilst Carl Palmer used to be in Atomic Rooster as well as the Crazy World of Arthur Brown..

And Keith Emerson the other member of ELP was in the Nice which links to an earlier posting but to be honest they all played with one another (ooer) in those days. I really liked the ELP Album covers but never got into their music. Van Der Graaf Generator were similar in that respect. Obviously I was an amateur Progger back in the day :wink:

I did buy The Great Deceiver - King Crimson Live 73-74 last month, some of it wonderful and some barely listenable in the true spirit of Prog :p

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the credits of Elton John's "Island Girl " the sleeve notes credit " The reggae guitar of Dr Winston O'Boogie" this was in fact, John Lennon

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
DJ David Rodigan is also featured in an R Whites Lemonade advert, is David Rodigan Elvis Costellos Dad? I know the answer is no, just thought I'd throw it in.

I believe the reality is that Elvis's dad wrote teh jingle rather than sang it in the ad? ???

The American FM rockers REO Speedwagon are named after an early type of pickup truck.

English rock/punk/folkie beat combo (I have never heard any of their stuff so can't say for sure) Blyth Power are named after a Diesel rail locomotive. Ex BR class 56 number 56134 to be precise.

....I'll get me anorak!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Greg Lake of ELP used to be in King Crimson whilst Carl Palmer used to be in Atomic Rooster as well as the Crazy World of Arthur Brown..

and keith emerson was in the Nice before ELP - knives in keyboards and all ....

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
"Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Contaminating atmosphere
And blackening the street.

Remember it well, I think they were on Hughie Greens Talent show from the 60's

Strangely i found a copy of said Hedgehoppers Anonymous single in my old, old collection of 7" singles last week :clap2:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
PP Arnold's only hit, as far as I recall, was The First Cut is the Deepest written by the seriously under rated Yusuf, better known as Cat Stevens.

...other than the fantastic "Angel of the Morning" and several other minor hits, many of which were written by Steve Marriott

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
the title of Squeeze's "Up the Junction" is only heard on the final two words of the song.

This is the same as "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music

Also the word Satellite , being the title of the song by the Sex Pistols (being the greatest band of all time IMHO :thumbsup: ) is only used once in the whole song, having previously been titled Suburban Kid.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

... other than "Angel of the Morning" and a few minor hits, most of which were written by Steve Marriott of Small Faces fame

Sep 20, 2005
Jimmy Page played rhythm guitar on the Who's first hit single, 'Can't explain'.

No he didn't. He played on the b-side, "Bald Headed Woman".

But......Pete Townshend played bass for Thunderclap Newman under the name Bijou Drains.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Mary Hopkin was responsible for the "Do Do Do" vocals on Bowie's 'Sound and Vision'. Cliff Richard's real name is Harry Webb & Elton John played piano on Jackson Browne's 'Redneck Friend.'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Unlike most songs, the title of Squeeze's "Up the Junction" is only heard on the final two words of the song.

Squeeze actually took their name from the 5th and last studio album by The Velvet Underground. Both John Cale and Lou Reed had both left the band by then and all the tracks where credited to Doug Yule.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here