Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Serge Gainsbourg's 1969 erotic hit Je T'Aime..Moi Non Plus with Jane Birkin heavy breathing on it, had originally been recorded two years earlier with Brigitte Bardot, however she then forbade its release, fearing a scandal due to her affair with Gainsbourg whilst married to Swiss playboy Gunther Sachs, which could damage her film career.
In both cases the press printed rumours that the song featured actual recordings of the two singers having sex on the studio floor. Disappointingly this was true of neither recording.
The title, which translates as "I Love You .. Me Neither" came from Gainsbourg's observation that women on one night stands would scream out "Oui! Je t'aime!" at the point of climax, when they didn't love him but were merely expressing their pleasure in the moment.
The Birkin version was a worldwide hit reaching number one in France and the UK. In the US it peaked at number 69, which Gainsbourg considered perfect.
The Bardot version was eventually released in 1986 when she wanted to raise some money for one of her animal charities.

The Small Faces 'Itchycoo Park' was banned by the BBC for the lyric "we'll get hii-iigh", whereas the single "Here Comes The Nice" was not, even though it was about their drug dealer bringing the goodies.
The Beeb also banned the seemingly innocuous 'My Friend Jack' by The Smoke for referring to Jack eating sugarlumps.... which would have been a reference to the practice of putting a certain drug in lumps of sugar when taking it. Sharp as tacks, were the BBC.

The first record to feature Rod Stewart, was the 'b' side of an obscure single by Long John Baldry called 'Up Above My Head'.

Robert Plant released 3 singles previous to joining Led Zep.

John Paul Jones arranged Donovan's 'Sunshine Superman' and played bass, Jimmy Page played the guitar parts.

The first album to feature all of Led Zeppelin, was a PJ Proby LP

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A lot of Americans don't realise that Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' IS NOT a celebration of their beloved country, in fact it's just the opposite. Always makes me smile when I hear the chorus being played at an American event. The Guess Who (a Canadian Band) song 'American Woman', covered by Lennie Kravitz was not about a woman but a very anti American song'

In a similar vein, popular at weddings, Billy Idol's White Wedding is actually an anti-wedding song. He wrote it when his sister announced she was pregnant and was going to marry her baby's father ("hey little sister what have you done... hey little sister shotgun!"), as of the pop up video episode some 15 years later, Billy had split from his long time partner, his sister was still happily married to the same guy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Robert Palmer's first album, 'Sneakin' Sally thru the alley' had Little Feat as his backing band.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Paul Simon got the title for Mother and Child Reunion from a chicken and egg dish on a Chinese restaurant menu.

The working title for the most recorded song of all time was "Scrambled Eggs" (waits for some smart alec to tell everyone what this song is).

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The working title for the most recorded song of all time was "Scrambled Eggs" (waits for some smart alec to tell everyone what this song is).[/QUOTE]

Yesterday.

At 2 minutes 58 seconds you can quite clearly here an audible shout of 'f*cking hell' during The Beatles - Hey Jude.

Also a 'bloody hell' towards the end of You never give me your money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Nice were once a backing band for PP Arnold, although it was Stevie Marriott from the Small Faces who did the backing vocals - and PP Arnold did the backing vocals on the Small Faces 'Lttle Tin Soldier' - and the the Small Faces recorded 'Here comes The Nice' - cosy, eh?

...and Sandy Denny sang backing vocals on Led Zeppelin IV.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
DJ David Rodigan is also featured in an R Whites Lemonade advert, is David Rodigan Elvis Costellos Dad? I know the answer is no, just thought I'd throw it in.

Elvis Costello's dad was Ross McManus - he used to sing on the BBC in the days when the nedle time rule prevented them playing records most of the time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
oooooh,good call. RIP Richie
awesome LP too :bowdown: :bowdown:

It is actually, I am a big Little Feat fan. They got their name via Frank Zappa, Lowell George was in the Mothers of Invention. Zappa was having a conversation with George and he pointed to the guitarists feet which were size six and said 'Little feet'. Roy Estrada the original bassist left the band and joined Captain Beefhart's Majic Band. The line up that backed Robert Palmer was the later incarnation which was a six piece and they moved from a Blues Country sound to a much more funk orientated sound similar to the Meters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Paul Simon never released Kodachrome as a single in the UK as he was advised it would not get any airplay as it was deemed to be an advertisement. It was a massively big selling single in the US

RAF band Hedgehoppers Anonymous only hit single "It's good news week" was written and produced by Jonathan King. The band came from RAF Wittering. I doubt more than 2% of NSC have even heard of this band so it is even more useless info than the average on here :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Greg Lake of ELP used to be in King Crimson whilst Carl Palmer used to be in Atomic Rooster as well as the Crazy World of Arthur Brown..

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Paul Simon never released Kodachrome as a single in the UK as he was advised it would not get any airplay as it was deemed to be an advertisement. It was a massively big selling single in the US

RAF band Hedgehoppers Anonymous only hit single "It's good news week" was written and produced by Jonathan King. The band came from RAF Wittering. I doubt more than 2% of NSC have even heard of this band so it is even more useless info than the average on here :lolol:

"Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Contaminating atmosphere
And blackening the street.

Remember it well, I think they were on Hughie Greens Talent show from the 60's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here