Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Use of LITERALLY

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
People using the word, issue, when they really mean problems. It really gets my goat.

Managers who refer to 'challenges' when they really mean problems (dumped on their staff)!

Oh, and the way that companies now use the word 'solutions' for their services: 'Plumbing solutions', 'Gardening solutions', 'office supply solutions', 'catering solutions', etc. WTF - It's endemic!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
While I appreciate the Oxford Dictionary feels it should reflect inaccurate informal usage that has become despicably widespread they should really think about the trouble caused by endorsing or encouraging such use.

i think this reminds us that dictionaries are records of the words used in a language, not specifications to define that language. though i think your right about allowing "literally" to slip like this, when the meanings contradict each other, they should bring some sanity to bear. or bare. (which is it?)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
i think this reminds us that dictionaries are records of the words used in a language, not specifications to define that language. though i think your right about allowing "literally" to slip like this, when the meanings contradict each other, they should bring some sanity to bear. or bare. (which is it?)

bear

To continue the natural creep of meanings over time adds to the variety and nuance of our language, completely wrong headed use by numpties with a media presence is a different matter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is it whenever people are relaying the tale of a conversation with someone else, they're always "turning round" and saying something ?

"So I said to her, I said 'it'll be swimming in custard by now, and SHE turned round and said well I'm not pulling it out then. So I turned round and said well its not my problem, I'm not here on Thursdays am I. So she turn'..."ETC

It conjures an image of two people constantly spinning on the spot before giving their reply. Odd.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
bear

To continue the natural creep of meanings over time adds to the variety and nuance of our language, completely wrong headed use by numpties with a media presence is a different matter
I think the use (or rather, misuse) of 'literally' has been around so long and is so commonplace that I think it's now in the first category you mention, adding to the variety and nuance of our language. Nothing anybody can do can make this particular usage of the word go away - it's made it into the mainstream now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here