Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] USB Type-C power for new portable electronic devices by autumn 2024

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's actually an EU directive.

Hopefully the government won't try and be different for the sake of it.

Apparently it has to happen in NI due to the Brexit agreement, but we can obviously stick two fingers up if we (I mean Johnson) decide to be dickish

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No 3.5mm headphone jack?

Apple haven't had a 3.5mm headphone jack on a most of their mobiles or tablets for quite a few years. Options are bluetooth or wired connection via the usb c or lightning charger point. They used to supply an adapter free of charge so old 3.5mm headphones would connect via the lightning port but they've stopped doing this. To be honest it hasn't been an issue for me. I cannot remember the last time I used a wired set of headphones.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a sensible move, something the EU is famous for, obviously our current government couldn't contemplate doing this....

if the EU voted that all member nations should change the law to driving on the Left hand side of the road our lot would spend billions changing our roads and signs to make us drive on the right.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Apple haven't had a 3.5mm headphone jack on a most of their mobiles or tablets for quite a few years. Options are bluetooth or wired connection via the usb c or lightning charger point. They used to supply an adapter free of charge so old 3.5mm headphones would connect via the lightning port but they've stopped doing this. To be honest it hasn't been an issue for me. I cannot remember the last time I used a wired set of headphones.

They clearly have a target audience.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure this was actually introduced a few years back but then dropped.

its been talked about for years. originally with the USB mini-b type connector. then the micro-b type connector. good job type c is the final version.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
No 3.5mm headphone jack?

No, not required as the usb c is the only inlet/outlet though this can be annoying if charging is required while listening on headphones. I’m sure the business brains at Apple have got this covered by designing an adaptor for this purpose at a ridiculously high price!. I got around this problem by purchasing some cheap blue tooth cordless ear buds which worked fine until I managed to destroy one when I fell asleep listening to an audiobook !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, not required as the usb c is the only inlet/outlet though this can be annoying if charging is required while listening on headphones. I’m sure the business brains at Apple have got this covered by designing an adaptor for this purpose at a ridiculously high price!. I got around this problem by purchasing some cheap blue tooth cordless ear buds which worked fine until I managed to destroy one when I fell asleep listening to an audiobook !

Loads of versions of this available if you still want to use wired headphones whilst charging. I’ve got one, works well.

84774788-D77E-4AC1-A15F-336B4E3181B6.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here