[Other Sport] Usain Bolt Drug Cheat??

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yoda

English & European
That's a very poor article, mostly focusing on his 100m and how quickly that improved, forgetting his gradual improvement over the 200m in which he already was a phenom.

Anyone following athletics closely at the time (including me) knew his biggest handicap was his start, due to his size. The winter season of 2007-2008 that's almost all he and his coaching staff worked on and boy, the results were something we'd never seen before.

By their own logic, Jonathan Edwards should also be a suspected drugs cheat by adding about 3 meters to his triple jump during his 30's and end of his career.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
That's a very poor article, mostly focusing on his 100m and how quickly that improved, forgetting his gradual improvement over the 200m in which he already was a phenom.

Anyone following athletics closely at the time (including me) knew his biggest handicap was his start, due to his size. The winter season of 2007-2008 that's almost all he and his coaching staff worked on and boy, the results were something we'd never seen before.

By their own logic, Jonathan Edwards should also be a suspected drugs cheat by adding about 3 meters to his triple jump during his 30's and end of his career.

Believe me I have an open mind here.

Even with a phenomenally improved start (drugs cannot change your size or gait) he remained slower than most over the first 25m. His top speed is his USP. Drugs can definitely help with this I've heard.

Yoda

English & European
Believe me I have an open mind here.

Even with a phenomenally improved start (drugs cannot change your size or gait) he remained slower than most over the first 25m. His top speed is his USP. Drugs can definitely help with this I've heard.

Again, I refer to his 200m Seasons Bests:

2003: 20.13
2004: 19.93
2005: 19.99
2006: 19.88
2007: 19.75
2008: 19.30
2009: 19.19
2010: 19.56
2011: 19.40
2012: 19.32
2013: 19.66
2014: -
2015: 19.55
2016: 19.78

Top speed has never been an issue throughout his career. IF he were taking drugs to improve his 100m speed, we should see a similar improvement on his 200m time too.

Remember, he started as a 2&4 sprinter and started the switch down to a 1&2 sprinter in 2007 (but was still doing 4's as well that year).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, but he had God on his side when he did that, he was shit when he lost his faith.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Reads like a personal vendetta, nothing but circumstantial conjecture.

Google Floyd Mayweather and steroids. There was a man with too much fame and success to be questioned.

This.

I couldn't read beyond the update section.

-Heres some selective comparisons between Bolt and Armstrong.
-Bolt hasn't been caught doping, unlike other Jamaicans.

Its clearly been written as 'he is a drug cheat and here is why'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Call me a cynic but I dont think you win major running / cycling events if you're clean.

The Brownlee brothers must be doped up to the eyeballs then. Triple whammy if you think winners at major swimming events can’t be clean either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can this thread be merged with the space alien one?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I like this line:
"Usain Bolt has remained relatively immune to both criticism and also, importantly, scrutiny."

Is the implication that Bolt hasn't been tested and doesn't have samples on file like all the other athletes, or that random people on the Internet haven't written enough confused, innuendo infused articles?

He might have been on drugs, but I don't see any value in preemptively assuming he is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Guilty by association then... thats the sort of stuff i love...

Not what I said, but you'd have to be the most naive of naive fools to look at all of the evidence around the sport, the event, his rivals, his coaches and his colleagues and say 'well at least Bolt is clean'.

Just because we all love the story and want it to be true doesn't mean people should blindly accept that it is, that race has already been run!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
This is why punctuation actually is important.

I've always wanted to ask, what's with the full stop in the bit by your avatar?

Still got. A vote

Looks a bit odd.

Or if you prefer, Looks a. Bit odd

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
It's this bit that casts doubt for me. The 40 fastest ever 100m times and he's the only athlete on the list with times that still stand.

View attachment 138076View attachment 138077
That list is pretty misleading though. Maurice Greene didn’t test positive to anything, was simply accused by someone. After testing positive, Asafa Powell successfully sued the producers of a supplement that contained the banned substance, because they included the substance without disclosing it to anyone. And Yohan Blake served a very short suspension as a junior, after testing positive to something that wasn’t on the WADA banned list, but was similar to something on it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like this line:
"Usain Bolt has remained relatively immune to both criticism and also, importantly, scrutiny."

Is the implication that Bolt hasn't been tested and doesn't have samples on file like all the other athletes, or that random people on the Internet haven't written enough confused, innuendo infused articles?

He might have been on drugs, but I don't see any value in preemptively assuming he is.

He'll have been one of the most frequently tested athletes in the world.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I've always wanted to ask, what's with the full stop in the bit by your avatar?

Still got. A vote

Looks a bit odd.

Or if you prefer, Looks a. Bit odd

Very fair point. I really cannot recall why, or if, I chose to do this. My best guess is that I either missed the error, or moved on and then forgot to rectify it. You will now note that I have changed the offending ‘title’, and hopefully shown that I can react in a fair and honest way to justified questioning.

I hope that I generally do avoid most spelling and grammatical errors, and that my posts do at least read easy on the eye, if not on the opinion of all!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
That list is pretty misleading though. Maurice Greene didn’t test positive to anything, was simply accused by someone. After testing positive, Asafa Powell successfully sued the producers of a supplement that contained the banned substance, because they included the substance without disclosing it to anyone. And Yohan Blake served a very short suspension as a junior, after testing positive to something that wasn’t on the WADA banned list, but was similar to something on it.

Yeah I get that. Greene aside, the other two were both unsuccessful at tribunal and did not get their bans overturned. Powell had his reduced by 6 months. There's no disputing the Americans' guilt.

I'm not trying to convince anyone either way here. I found the article interesting and felt it raised some valid questions. I continue to love Lance Armstrong for the way he blew my mind watching him race. Knowing a bit more about him now I can understand his motives. And let's face it most of the time he was racing against fellow cheats. There are endurance athletes out there who like Armstrong don't seem to produce lactate at the rate other athletes do. Ultra Runner Dean Karnazes stands out despite being past his prime a bit now. He has not suffered the same scrutiny. It suited the narrative for years to protect Armstrong's role model status because the world needed that. I think it's reasonable to ask if the same is happening with Bolt. My internal dialogue argues he's clean every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports