Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] US will no longer be changing clocks as of March 2023

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
As of March 2023 the United States will change their clocks one last time for the foreseeable future. The clocks will be moved ahead one hour in March 2023 which is the usual daylight saving time. Then it will stay on what was called daylight saving time previously and not be moved again until the US Congress changes it's mind or forever.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...light-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They tried this before in, I think, the 70s. It lasted a few years until ‘Congress changed its mind’…

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Assuming they’ll still be changing their clocks while moving sideways between states though…and not abolishing Pacific and Eastern etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I can understand us changing our clocks to impact the light in the winter but no idea why we change it back for the summer!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We should just move it 30min - to keep everyone happy. :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can understand us changing our clocks to impact the light in the winter but no idea why we change it back for the summer!

winter is the default, with sun's apex at 12 noon. we change to summer time to gain light in the evening.

the change to +1 will make it dark until 7-8 in the morning during the winter. US will change back once again when they remember they didnt like this last time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
winter is the default, with sun's apex at 12 noon. we change to summer time to gain light in the evening.

the change to +1 will make it dark until 7-8 in the morning during the winter. US will change back once again when they remember they didnt like this last time.

Yes, Greenwich Meantime is the default. British Summer Time is the change from March to October.
It was started in 1916 to enable the farmers to get more harvest in.

In 1941 Double Summer Time was used where the clock went forward for two hours but reverted back to BST in 1945.

From 1968-1971 British Summer Time remained throughout the year but people forget there is a time difference south to north so from the north of England into Scotland it didn't get daylight until nearly 10am so that was abandoned.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The UK should too.

I was told that angry Scottish farmers, prevented the very brief 1960’s experiment being made permanent.

forgive my ignorance, but don't all farmers rise with the sun and crack on with it? what difference does an arbitrary number like the time make?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The UK should too.

I was told that angry Scottish farmers, prevented the very brief 1960’s experiment being made permanent.

dont know why the focus ever on farmers, let alone the Scottish ones, they get up so early its dark anyway. in winter twilight in the north until about 9, and 8:30 in Brighton.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How is uncle spielberg going to make sure he gets to games on time if his clocks are wrong?!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, Greenwich Meantime is the default. British Summer Time is the change from March to October.
It was started in 1916 to enable the farmers to get more harvest in.

In 1941 Double Summer Time was used where the clock went forward for two hours but reverted back to BST in 1945.

From 1968-1971 British Summer Time remained throughout the year but people forget there is a time difference south to north so from the north of England into Scotland it didn't get daylight until nearly 10am so that was abandoned.

Pretty much how it is here every winter. Daylight from 10-14 (less in the north where it may only be about an hour of daylight) during the darkest months... then from about 02 to 23 in the summers (except in the north where it at some points is daylight 24/7). Moving the clock really does little with those extremes and I wouldnt mind abandoning it but I can imagine it has some value over there... Dark mornings are painful for the soul and mind so if it is avoidable, it is probably wise.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Assuming they’ll still be changing their clocks while moving sideways between states though…and not abolishing Pacific and Eastern etc.

Correct. The same way a traveler would change his clock when traveling between the UK and Germany.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here