Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] US Airforce pics of Britain in WW2 available to view for fist time..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This one is from 1965 but it’s the earliest they have on there.
IMG_0729.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some seem to be earlier and later than WW2.
Interesting though.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Fascinating stuff....especially to a WW2 nerd like myself. Love the photos from over this way of Seaford & Cuckmere Haven.
Having never been to *Cissbury Ring, does anyone know if the anti tank trench, or evidence of the concrete blocks, are still there?

Last edited:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
errr, yeah! I have absolutely NO IDEA why I wrote Chanctonbury! :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️
Thought so.
Now, the white track around Cissbury isn't an anti-tank trench. Why on earth would it be?
It was made by tanks, yes, but only to practice driving skills on different slopes, etc. The soil on Cissbury is only a couple of inches thick in most parts, so a load of tanks would have taken no time at all to get through to the chalk underneath.
If you know where to look then you can still see some evidence of this.
Also, again, if you know where to look, there are indeed concrete blocks just outside Cissbury Ring to the South, though most headed off to the West, and over the A24.
There are 1 or 2 'dips' in the ground that housed anti-aircraft guns, within the Ring.
To the NE of Cissbury, just outside the Ring, are places that they obviosly used to practice mortar firing, as I have found many bits of mortar there.

The southern slopes are more interesting. Obviously the old rifle range targets, still there, but now buried.
Up above the rifle range are the remains of a building of sorts, that I think someone must have really enjoyed blowing up, as there is virtually nothing of it left. (And probably nothing now, 40 years later).

To the SE, again just outside the Ring, is a large dome shaped 'thing'. I have never found out what it is. Cast iron? I tried to dig it up about 20 years ago, but gave up. Probably buried by now.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
There’s an online repository of Luftwaffe aerial reconnaissance photos of Sussex which is also available free (used to use them in identifying landscape history features, etc). Can’t find a link offhand, sorry, but Google should do it. Well worth a look.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Thought so.
Now, the white track around Cissbury isn't an anti-tank trench. Why on earth would it be?
It was made by tanks, yes, but only to practice driving skills on different slopes, etc. The soil on Cissbury is only a couple of inches thick in most parts, so a load of tanks would have taken no time at all to get through to the chalk underneath.
If you know where to look then you can still see some evidence of this.
Also, again, if you know where to look, there are indeed concrete blocks just outside Cissbury Ring to the South, though most headed off to the West, and over the A24.
There are 1 or 2 'dips' in the ground that housed anti-aircraft guns, within the Ring.
To the NE of Cissbury, just outside the Ring, are places that they obviosly used to practice mortar firing, as I have found many bits of mortar there.

The southern slopes are more interesting. Obviously the old rifle range targets, still there, but now buried.
Up above the rifle range are the remains of a building of sorts, that I think someone must have really enjoyed blowing up, as there is virtually nothing of it left. (And probably nothing now, 40 years later).

To the SE, again just outside the Ring, is a large dome shaped 'thing'. I have never found out what it is. Cast iron? I tried to dig it up about 20 years ago, but gave up. Probably buried by now.
Edit to add... we often used to find 'live' ammo up there, take it home, stick it in a vice, and smash the shit out of it with a hammer. Never got one to go off, thankfully. o_O

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The only one I’m having trouble making sense of is the rail station. It’s changed a lot.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The only one I’m having trouble making sense of is the rail station. It’s changed a lot.
Which picture? Both Hove and Hastings have lost their yards (or most of them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here