Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UPVC Double glazing window repair required

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds like a good way to get paid to do a ' free estimate '
While I don't think it's fair to charge me a full call out fee for securing my window, it did benefit from being fixed and it was a reasonable thing to do (not superfluous), so I don't imagine grabbing some money was on their mind when they did it, just when they came to sending me the quote.

Not quite sure how to respond to them. I'd rather give the work to someone else, but presumably I should pay them something for their 10 minutes of work.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
While I don't think it's fair to charge me a full call out fee for securing my window, it did benefit from being fixed and it was a reasonable thing to do (not superfluous), so I don't imagine grabbing some money was on their mind when they did it, just when they came to sending me the quote.

Not quite sure how to respond to them. I'd rather give the work to someone else, but presumably I should pay them something for their 10 minutes of work.

It's a tricky one, I have a small plumbing business and in my book a free estimate is a free estimate, but I don't bring my tools into a property for this, apart from a torch.
If I suggested to a customer I could do a temporary repair I would give them a price before starting any work.

I have a contract for the alarm system at my house, a few years back the alarm engineer was doing a yearly check and I mentioned a sensor didn't seem to flash anymore.
The engineer didn't mention there was a charge to change it or give me an estimate, he spent a while changing the sensor but also was talking on his mobile to someone about football.
I got a bill from the alarm company for parts and labour, but the labour was over an hour, I told them I was happy to pay for materials and 1 hours labour, I wasn't paying for the engineer to talk to his mate on the phone.
I also told the alarm company to tell me the cost before any extra work was carried out on top of the annual maintenance service.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its not an easy diy job.If you drop the frame it will break, and they are heavy.

I'm currently not able to open most of my windows since c20 years ago some clown riveted the hinges to PVC frames rather than using screws, and the aluminium rivets are now breaking. When the company who will be doing the repairs came round to give me quote, one of the rivets broke, the hinges gave way and the window fell out cracking the frame. He was able to make a temporary fix and since then they have stayed locked shut.

its going to cost me £900 for a new window and £200 for them to go round replacing all the other rivets with proper screws.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have had several DG repairs (locks, blown panes etc) over many years done by Aftercare.....service has always been top notch and prices very reasonable. Free quotes always given first.

I'll obviously look a total tit if they are the ones that have ripped you off but would be genuinely surprised if they were.

http://aftercare.me.uk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here