Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Not enough has been said about what Upson has brought to the team. Imo its no coinidence that weve barely conceded a goal since he signed for us. Its easy to focus on the attacking players and we have great riches in that department. But really, Van Dijk may have been a great young talent but i think we were fortunate to sign plan B. The guy has bags of experience, top level experience, the guy is a rock

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Agree. For me it's whether Greer or El-Abd plays along side him.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I only get to see highlights/streams of him but the stats since he joined (first game aside) are really very impressive

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A fine bit of business by Gus. Looks to be enjoying playing football again. He's strong, mobile, wins headers and has a good range of passing in his locker. What's not to like. Upson and El-Abd are a great pair.
Showed his commitment to his team mates yesterday when standing up for Hammond who had just been assaulted.

Pumba04

Jan 27, 2011
Burgess Hill
Totally agree, for me he just oozes class... Few people behind me have slated him from day 1 but its obvious to anyone with a tiny bit of football knowledge that he has premiership written all over him. Just like Bridge I never realised just how good and how quick they both are until seeing them in the flesh plus they read the game so well, positioning, movement etc.

Have we really got 2 international / premiership defenders playing next to each other in our team!

No coincidence at all that we have looked so solid with those 2 plus Bruno to be fair and it has got the best out of El Abd and maybe Greer if he got the chance

Maybe the fact that they are playing every week in a team that plays football and the fans, stadium etc may, just may persuade them to stay on

Plus mist importantly Upson wears proper proper boots which is enough for me !!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Upson has improved the set-up and understanding in the centre of defence because he plays to the left of AEA who is right footed and looks more at ease on that side than when he has to play to the left of Greer.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Upon is a great signing and gives us more of a presence from a physical perspective. I hope we get him permanently.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Another solid performance by Upson yesterday hes a great signing by gus maybe a chance of keeping him at end of season too i wud have thought?

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
I had my doubts at first but he has been solid (apart from Sheff Wed, but that was his first game ) just what we needed at the back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It may be very difficult for Greer to get his place back given Upson is playing so well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Massive thanks to Palace for freeing up Dobbie's wages.

No Upson without this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The best centre half we have, no doubt. Wins far more in the air than either El Abd or Greer do.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I guess Gordon will get his chance when Adam gets his next yellow? Is there a date when all yellows are nullified?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me Greer's distribution from the back is better than Upson's. All 3 are good players. Our defence has been Top 3 practically all season, the issue is converting draws into wins which is then about taking chances. And we're now doing that.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It was very clear in a lot of games, pre Upson that a experienced top level centre back was the second most important position that needed addressing and Upson has filled this void. Would be very happy to see him and Bridge sign for us at the end of the season, even if we go up. That's the left half of an England defence don't forget with an international keeper behind them. Would still have one, if not even two years left in them even at the highest level.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess Gordon will get his chance when Adam gets his next yellow? Is there a date when all yellows are nullified?

For a split second yesterday, the big screens showed El Abd as having a yellow card by his name.

I asked the people around me what he'd been booked for as I couldn't remember it, just as the yellow card disappeared again.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
A fine bit of business by Gus. Looks to be enjoying playing football again. He's strong, mobile, wins headers and has a good range of passing in his locker. What's not to like. Upson and El-Abd are a great pair.
Showed his commitment to his team mates yesterday when standing up for Hammond who had just been assaulted.

And he demonstrated all of these traits yesterday. Great performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here