Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson worst ever England cenre back?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Picking on England's last World Cup goalscorer seems a bit unnecessary. And besides, I'd argue that a fit Upson at his peak was better than three out for the four centre backs we're taking on the plane this time round.

Still, the real question is why would anybody be watching BBC Three?

I have teenage sons.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
They also picked Paul Scholes as one of the worst midfielders too.

Personally, it was always going to be a load of shit anyway, the first "worst England team" show they did was the more correct one.

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking. He'd be in contention for the BEST team.

Ahh, the mysterious case of Paul Scholes, the longer he wasn't playing the better he got. He went from being a sulky player with the odd moment of occasional brilliance to, by 2010, some sort of sort of non-apparitional Lionel Messi.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Ahh, the mysterious case of Paul Scholes, the longer he wasn't playing the better he got. He went from being a sulky player with the odd moment of occasional brilliance to, by 2010, some sort of sort of non-apparitional Lionel Messi.

He was good playing central, a bit rubbish and sulked on the left when called on to answer England's Left Side Problem (TM). Excellent when called on to answer the Gerrard and Lampard Can't Play Together Problem.

At least this World Cup, while they are both past their best, the penny seems to have dropped that one provides cover for the other - admittedly they both now need cover as I doubt either can last 90minutes in that heat.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Wow. I'm seen some drivel in my time but this....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Scholes was included on the basis that he retired from International footy way too early in his career, thus letting England down. Programme was utter shite. And who on earth was the narrator? Awful choice - his voice was appalling.

owen_gibb1989

Nov 6, 2011
Upson was the last man to score a goal in a World Cup for England!! Had a decent tournament aswell, luckily these aren't the sort of shows to take particularly seriously!!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
What was the rest of the team? Surely Nicky Shorey must have featured.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Upson was shit in the Germany game. But Terry was shittier.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Terrible programme they even put Vinnie Jones in even though he played for Wales as he was born in Watford utter waste of time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
BBC football did not make this programme.

someone there decided to show it though
the BBC is fast becoming the ITV of the 60's

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having given it some thought, I've concluded that yes, Leicester City's Matthew Upson is by FAR the worst England centre half, ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here