Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson Today

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
What do we think?

I thought he has adapted well to our style of playing it out from the back rather than the Stoke 'hoofball'. Also, when there was little on ahead of him he was not afraid to carry the ball forward. And he made some very good defensive headers; something we're not that used to seeing! Very happy with his performance today.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What do we think?

I thought he has adapted well to our style of playing it out from the back rather than the Stoke 'hoofball'. Also, when there was little on ahead of him he was not afraid to carry the ball forward. And he made some very good defensive headers; something we're not that used to seeing! Very happy with his performance today.

Stoke funnily enough can play a bit..

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What do we think?

He looked more solid than against Wednesday. Let's hope he has settled in now.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He was sturdy. Also looked a threat from attacking set pieces and corners. Having him and Ulloa has made a HUGE difference to the likelihood of us winning areal battles in the final thirds.

So far so good from me. I think El Abd works best when an older head is alongside him. On current form Upson to start over Greer every time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thought he looked the business...Adam seemed to hav a gd game alongside...all very slappy happy

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Tis a worry, i find, to have the ballplaying centrehalf in a partnership to be El-Abd. I think we missed Greer in terms of his desire to pass, even if it doesn't always work. Upson seemed strong though.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Tis a worry, i find, to have the ballplaying centrehalf in a partnership to be El-Abd. I think we missed Greer in terms of his desire to pass, even if it doesn't always work. Upson seemed strong though.

Upson played 3 very good long passes (not long balls) at the start of the game and generally looked good with it at feet. Don't think he lacked any desire to pass the ball.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Second best player from our side on the pitch.

Won every header and brought the ball forwards from the back. Only until now realised how much we missed a natural left sided centre back.

Happy with him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Upson has a strange recollection of our game against Wednesday. I've just watched his interview on iPlayer, where he said 'we scored a good goal, and created numerous chances possibly to go 2-2'.

Anyway, good game today, he's exactly what we needed.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I thought he was terrific.
However - why are we surprised that a player who has played for England in the last World Cup, and played in the Premiership for many a season, would NOT be an asset to a Championship club? WHat planet are you on? Anyway - he was great today.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I thought he was terrific.
However - why are we surprised that a player who has played for England in the last World Cup, and played in the Premiership for many a season, would NOT be an asset to a Championship club? WHat planet are you on? Anyway - he was great today.

Yep, all day long. Watch the highlights of our games for this season & last and see many goals conceded were down to GG!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Had a much better game, looked solid and much more comfortable than last week for some reason.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
His class and experience showed through, particularly in the second half. There were several occasions when he was clearly frustrated with the persistent square passing across the back and brought or passed the ball forward. His heading was also very good- clean headers with good distance on them. The more he settles and plays like that, the harder it will be or Greer to get back.

Feb 21, 2009
Fantastic performance from Upson, i was concerned before the game what with Simpson and Hull's pace but Upson and AEA held the line so well and put there body's on the line (quite literally) and looked very solid together. Very pleased with the pair of them.
Agree too that Upson, with ball at his feet and bringing the ball out of defence was very refreshing to see.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I had my doubts with the Upson signing due to the lack of pace but last nights performance showed a much better defensive partnership than what we had before. Upson and El-abd look like they are very comfortable playing alongside each other. A very telepathic defensive show where neither looked out of position or disorganised.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I thought he was great today especially in the second half when the defence was under pressure. He will be an asset for the rest of the season

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I had my doubts with the Upson signing due to the lack of pace but last nights performance showed a much better defensive partnership than what we had before. Upson and El-abd look like they are very comfortable playing alongside each other. A very telepathic defensive show where neither looked out of position or disorganised.

Strange thing is football,you would think that you always need "opposites" to work but sometimes,like for like can just gel and not at any cost to the team..

Being Left footed adds balance..

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I thought the back four were superb yesterday although Kuszczak was the pick of the bunch, 2 world class saves that were the difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here