Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson at Brighton to win a contract

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
Tony Pulis quoted yesterday stating Matt Upson has kicked his last ball for stoke and is on loan to win himself a new contract.

Good news

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I still have to pinch myself sometimes that we are signing ENGLAND and SPAIN internationals. It's only a few years since we were signing players from Aldershot and Stevenage.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Tony Pulis quoted yesterday stating Matt Upson has kicked his last ball for stoke and is on loan to win himself a new contract.

Good news

He will be glad to be playing football for a change, and not hoofing the ball over the midfield and into the penalty box i f***ing hate Stoke

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Best be prepared for a massive pay cut then if he is wanting to stay here

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

People say the same thing about Wayne Bridge. I doubt they're expecting massive mony any more, how can either of them demand a large contract? I doubt either is worried by money any more, they'll want to be playing before their retirement. Besides, even if they're *ONLY* offered circa £15k a week... hardly a pittance.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

You would like to think that anyone that has played most of their careers in the Prem would have made enough money to be more than comfortable for the rest of their lives. only idiots would end up broke after many years in the top flight. You know, people like Gazza and Terry.

He will still pick up a wage at the Albion most of us can only dream of.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be pedantic, it doesn't say a contract with us, it could just mean "shop window"
Would be an option for a few
You would like to think that anyone that has played most of their careers in the Prem would have made enough money to be more than comfortable for the rest of their lives. only idiots would end up broke after many years in the top flight. You know, people like Gazza and Terry.

would like to agree with this and hope this to be the case

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good news

Kicked, or walloped?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
To be pedantic, it doesn't say a contract with us, it could just mean "shop window"

That's how I read it too. I can see him signing for some ambitionless jokers like Leeds for a bit of extra wonga.

Saying that Vicente was earning around £75,000 a week before joining us to who knows?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's a good loan signing and adds experience but I'm not sure he's what we need for next season which is someone with pace in the centre of defence. Obvious that Gus rates Van Dijk very highly so I'd expect another bid for him in the close season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Completely agree with you (apart from ending your last sentence with a preposition)

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
People say the same thing about Wayne Bridge. I doubt they're expecting massive mony any more, how can either of them demand a large contract? I doubt either is worried by money any more, they'll want to be playing before their retirement. Besides, even if they're *ONLY* offered circa £15k a week... hardly a pittance.

I would go as far as to completely disagree with you. If i knew i was only going to be able to "work" for another 2 years i wouldnt give a toss what i did, i'd go to whoever was going to pay me the most.

I reckon several top championship sides would all be happy to have Bridge and Upson in the teams next season and pay a great deal more than we are likely to offer/be able to offer.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
He's a good loan signing and adds experience but I'm not sure he's what we need for next season which is someone with pace in the centre of defence. Obvious that Gus rates Van Dijk very highly so I'd expect another bid for him in the close season.

Possibly to replace Greer ?, If we signed Upson & Van Dijk, as much as I admire them, Greer/El Abd would find it hard to get in ahead of them (Assuming Van Dijk is as good as he's been bigged up to be).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Would be good if he stayed, expect Gus will have more money to play with will all the changes currently taking place under Mr Barber

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Possibly to replace Greer ?, If we signed Upson & Van Dijk, as much as I admire them, Greer/El Abd would find it hard to get in ahead of them (Assuming Van Dijk is as good as he's been bigged up to be).

Possibly but looking ahead to next season and beyond, age is against both of them. Far too early too many ifs and maybes but what about a Van Dijk and Dunk partnership?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst Upson may have had his day in the premiership, I have been impressed by his home performances, esp linking with Bridge on the left. I think we should keep him for next season if we dont go up, irrespective of whether or not we go for Van Dijk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here