Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgrade A27

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

Are we going back to the original idea that was agreed then shelved as too expensive to improve the roads to
have a motorway from Folkestone to Honiton and take that road at Crossbush somewhere. All the houses in Warren Road were compulsory purchased and then resold very cheap when the scheme was shelved. It was going to cost billions IIRC.

Are we going back to the original idea that was agreed then shelved as too expensive to improve the roads to have a motorway from Folkestone to Honiton and take that road at Crossbush somewhere.
No.

The "Folkestone to Honiton Trunk Road" was never a proposal. It was merely the name that the then Highways Agency gave to the route of the several long-established trunk roads that run between Folkestone and Honiton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're more than welcome to the cash being spent on this white elephant:-

A259 Bognor Regis to Littlehampton Pedestrian and Cycle Route

https://haveyoursay.westsussex.gov.uk/highways-and-transport/ncn2

Unless yet another new town (which will be the areas 4th (FOURTH) is being built between Middleton and Climping this is completely worthless.

We cycle it regularly, there's never a problem, I doubt more than 50 people cycle that route, daily.
Nobody has ever walked through that desolate wasteland.

Yet here we are getting a cycle path and pedestrian stretch path of around 3m wide along most of its 4.4km length and separated from the main road.

The video stops where it meets the cycle path a Climping.
We don't use this either, which always induces abuse from at least 1 irate driver.

What they don't appreciate is the path just stops at the bridge.
The pavement stops across the bridge, leaving a grass verge, for 200 yards before the main roundabout, with no cycle lane on any of the exits.

Once again, for reasons I'm sure look good on paper, cyclists have a load of money wasted in our name, which will inevitably put us at risk.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Once again, for reasons I'm sure look good on paper, cyclists have a load of money wasted in our name, which will inevitably put us at risk.

Those Team Cyclist v Team Driver videos and threads aren't just going to make themselves you know.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

Think I've heard they are already looking at this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those Team Cyclist v Team Driver videos and threads aren't just going to make themselves you know.
One day we'll get a thread where I'm firmly 'Team Cyclist', it's certainly not happened yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They need to upgrade the A27 ( going eastbound ) turnoff onto the A23 going north to 2 lanes as well, as it's a nasty-accident-in-waiting currently between 7 and 9am.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

They should have widened the road back in the 1980's when they had bought all the houses. It is the only solution really. Any other route is massively expensive and an environmental disaster that would get swampy and his mates very motivated. Me included!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
:nono:Whilst they are at it can they put a flyover at Washington roundabout, almost back to Findon in the mornings now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only one answer:-

JETPACKS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed. Anyone who is expecting a dual carriageway through the National Park is going to be disappointed.

yes, that ship is sunk. what they could do at least is improve the road to the standard of the Beddingham-Middle Farm, which is a respectable bit of road. from there to Polegate is poor and a Selmeston bypass would be in order too. would even £700m cover that?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's the most beautiful stretch of railway line (The Downs are sheep, the Weald is corn) with such a great rail service to boot, there's no need for an A27 upgrade between Polegate and Lewes......

This, upgrade the railways, increase the capacity, quality and reliability on both East and West lines, job done.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They should have finished the Worthing road years ago now it's going to cost 10 times as much.
I never understood why the A27 has not been upgraded from Dover to Southampton it would open up East Sussex to all the builders who are trying to build all over West Sussex.:facepalm::nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here