Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Updated net transfer spend by club, last 5 years

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think we have to be careful when looking at these kind of league tables. It's just data to be interpreted and net spend is just one angle to look at when measuring success. The key to where you land seems to be if you're able to sell players and get value for them. Liverpool have been very good at this.

Yes, it's great that we're being well run and that we're finding young players who increase in value to then be sold. That's the club's policy and it's working at the moment. Off the back of a good season it's very easy to blow our own trumpet and have a big circle jerk, when we inevitably have a bad season I suspect people will be using this data as a stick to beat them (BHAFC) with.

Some of the clubs with a higher net spend could quite rightly argue that it's in proportion to their total revenue and/or wealth of the owner.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Mac Allister's fee will presumably fall into the 2022-23 accounts. Caicedo, assuming he leaves, will obviously be after June 30 now so would fall into the following year's accounts.
(For some reason, although both Albion and Spurs announced Bissouma's transfer on June 17 last year, it wasn't accounted for by either club in 2021-22. I'm curious as to why that was - can only assume it benefitted both parties to delay recognition of the fee).
Presumably because the transfer couldnt be actually made until 1 July

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here