** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because he said "profit". So take away the £1m we paid for him, giving us 1.5m. Then take away the 15% sell on fee due to watford.

Though, that actually leaves 1.275m profit, not 1.25m. But then there are the wages we paid him over the course of his time with us, so did we actually make any profit?

We still didn't 'sell him for £1.25m' which is what he said.

And adding in the wages to the calculations would be daft. If you were going to do that, you'd also have to factor in a share of all the gate money, prize money and commercial income the club made whilst he was a member of the team / squad.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
If Buckley had gone for free he still would have owed us nothing.His contribution in his first 2 years repaid the £1m fee plus his wages. He may have been a sicknote more recentley but don't assume for a minute that he hasn't repaid our investment without Sunderlands£2.5m

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Because he said "profit". So take away the £1m we paid for him, giving us 1.5m. Then take away the 15% sell on fee due to watford.

Though, that actually leaves 1.275m profit, not 1.25m. But then there are the wages we paid him over the course of his time with us, so did we actually make any profit?

What an incredibly stupid post.

Firstly he said no other club would sell their best player for £1.25m. We sold our best player for £7/8M. We sold Buckley for £2.5m.

Secondly why on earth do you factor in wages? It's simple, we profited from his sale which is incredible considering how injury prone he is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We still didn't 'sell him for £1.25m' which is what he said.

And adding in the wages to the calculations would be daft. If you were going to do that, you'd also have to factor in a share of all the gate money, prize money and commercial income the club made whilst he was a member of the team / squad.
What an incredibly stupid post.

Firstly he said no other club would sell their best player for £1.25m. We sold our best player for £7/8M. We sold Buckley for £2.5m.

Secondly why on earth do you factor in wages? It's simple, we profited from his sale which is incredible considering how injury prone he is.

I get that there are a lot of negative people on here at the moment, and for some people that is wearing them down and causing them to snap a bit at posters when it is unwarranted, so I will forgive the unnecessary rudeness.

What he said was:

We've been mugged. £1.25m profit. No club would sell their best player in the championship for £1.25m unless you're Brighton & Hove Albion.

When you start with "£1.25m profit" the follow up comment of no club selling for £1.25m implies a connection between the two amounts. While he didn't specify profit in the third sentence, it is implied because it follows the initial comment about it specifically being profit in the second sentence.

Secondly, yes, it is silly to include wages, but it is also silly to try to talk about profit or gains and losses in absolute terms when it comes to football transfers. I was trying to indicate how complex it is, to the point of pointlessness, because I think Skylar is being a bit of a drama queen about this.

Thirdly, I find it hard to describe selling for £2.5m a player we bought for £1m knowing he was injured as 'incredible'. To be honest I was expecting the deal to be haggled up a bit on first hearing it at only £2.5m (remember their manager, knowing how injury prone he is, claimed he was worth £10m - I didn't expect anywhere near that, but it gives an indication of his worth to Gus, despite injuries, and how there was possible room to increase on £2.5). Maybe it has, maybe there are add ons and such, maybe the reports are inaccurate.

£2.5m is not so low it's worth getting your panties in a bunch, but neither is it so high it deserves to be claimed as 'incredible that we profited'.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks Will, great memories, best of luck for the future.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good luck to Mr Buckley and I'm sorry to see him go but he's basically going to be a bench player for Sunderland isn't he? Cover for Adam Johnson etc.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

It will be interesting to see. If the two played for Albion, I would prefer Will Buckley to start, as he is faster and can shoot with both feet.

Except Will Buckley pulled up injured both against Hull and Derby and then the team seemed to fall apart for a bit.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Until quite recently I would have agreed with you.

But the market has changed, prices are more ridiculous than ever. If Shane Long goes for £12 million, McCormack £11 million etc, then £2.5 million for Will doesn't seem that much, especially after we reportedly turned down £5 million for him - was it last year?

It's all spiralling out of control and surely cannot be sustainable.

A Sustainable, meaning protecting the future.

Transfer fees remain in the game. Its wages and agent's fees that go out of the game and may not be sustainable.

I like the working man to get a fair whack from the bosses, so I was never one to complain about high wages (especially for short careers), but some of them are ridiculous. TV stars, I suppose.

PS: I hope Will Buckleys stings Sunderland for at least £18K a week.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Well - speaking as an exiled Geordie, Buckley has become a non-person to me now, along with Bridcutt and Poyet. They could have joined any other Premier League club ( well, apart from Man Utd and Liverpool) and I'd have wished them well, but theyve chosen to join the great unwashed mackams, and so can go and boil their backsides. I hope they flop miserably.

Good luck to Ulloa and Upson at Leicester by the way, in complete contrast!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why does his wages from us come into the calculations as you have to pay the wages, probably at much the same rate for every player. The profit must be based on what we paid and what we got back fof him.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maybe our managers hate playing wingers. We'll never have a player like Buckley again. He used to get me out my seat when he had the ball and got the crowd going. Bloody joke price he's been sold at.

I heard that the price may not have been an option for contractual reasons. I don't know how true this is? Perhaps, we could have tried to offer him more money and let him go in January if we were not challenging. That is what I sort of hoped before the season started.

I think all the other departures would be replaceable, but I do not think we will be able to find the pace of Will Buckley again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why does his wages from us come into the calculations as you have to pay the wages, probably at much the same rate for every player. The profit must be based on what we paid and what we got back fof him.

This.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Isn't it a tad strange how Albion feel these players Noone, Bennett, Buckley, Ulloa, Upson, Murray, El Abd and Bridcutt etc etc
aren't worth piss to us as players for our club, but all play or have played or most still or will be playing at the top level of football in Britain
even the World.
WEIRD THAT EH ????? Something smells fishy to me and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldricks Apple Crumble !!!

Are they selling to pay debts off or will they be spending the near on £18million they have got for these players.
So far we have spent £1.5million on Stockdale and O'Grady WOW ****ING WEE !!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1408036098.577953.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1408036098.577953.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 160

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm a little disappointed that we seem to have meekly agreed to the first price Sunderland offered though, if this proves true.

You'd think we would have tried to haggle higher, unless we did behind the scenes and got nowhere.

I'm happy with that, no need to risk it. He's clearly not being lined up as a key player, will probably be a squad player at best, and I can't see Sunderland paying much more for that.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Very sad to see him go, could be amazing on his day. Good luck to you Will, and thanks for the memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports