Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Update on Proposed Hotel Development by TCSL at Falmer

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why would these companies be looking to undertake a build that isn't commercially viable? The lease on the site will also be between the Council and TCSL (ie not a third party).

Most of those companies now work on management contracts - you build the hotel, they brand/run/maintain/market it for 10-30+ years under contract.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would be amazed if this wasn't commercially viable. Brighton has one of the highest REVPAR index's outside of London. (REVPAR is revenue per room v number of rooms) This indicates that there is a shortage of good hotel rooms in the town for the demand. OK this project it isn't central Brighton but it isn't exactly on the moon either. No reason why this shouldn't be profitable...

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I would be amazed if this wasn't commercially viable. Brighton has one of the highest REVPAR index's outside of London. (REVPAR is revenue per room v number of rooms) This indicates that there is a shortage of good hotel rooms in the town for the demand. OK this project it isn't central Brighton but it isn't exactly on the moon either. No reason why this shouldn't be profitable...

I agree. I find it difficult to envisage TB building a hotel that was commercially unviable. Albeit I can see that a hotel next door to the stadium would make conferencing and entertainment at the stadium significantly more attractive to companies.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
hotel.JPG

There is now a planning application on the Lewes District Council website. Not many documents are available to view at present however.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And a bespoke new ticket office by the looks of the plan. Which suggests that it won't be a standalone hotel developed by one of the big chains.

PG

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Can you post a link to where you found that please? I'm interested in taking a look :)

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Lewes District Council, that well-known friend of the Albion...

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Interesting to see an 'External Concourse' for the East stand as well. This looks extra to what I think exists today?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hang on a cotton pickin minute. I seem to recall huge denials when falmer residents said that there would be a hotel built on the site......fans abusing everyone who even suggested it!

Ooooops

In fact didn't obergruppenfuhrer perry dismiss the idea

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Can you post a link to where you found that please? I'm interested in taking a look :)

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/planning/1139.asp

Check the terms and conditions and then click on continue. Then do a search for Falmer and it's the second result to come up. To be honest the screen grab above is almost all that is there at the moment. I guess other documents will be added eventually.

Oct 25, 2003
Hang on a cotton pickin minute. I seem to recall huge denials when falmer residents said that there would be a hotel built on the site......fans abusing everyone who even suggested it!

Ooooops

In fact didn't obergruppenfuhrer perry dismiss the idea

there was always going to be something on that bit of land (it was initially going to be for education) so i'm not sure it matters what it is

perry may have dismissed it but i'm not sure he was overly involved in the decision to do it

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's not a planning application it's a request as to whether Lewes DC believe it will have significant effects on the environment. If they do it means the actual planning application will need to be accompanied by more detailed environmental information.

I doubt the plans are final at this stage either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here