Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Upcoming fixtures and personnel

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
While RDZ likes to talk of three games in a week, we actually have such a scenario approaching. Anyway it's our next four fixtures that I'm flagging up because they're bunched together:
Thu 30 Athens (a)
Sun 3 Chelsea (a)
Wed 6 Brentford (h)
Sat 9 Burnley (h)
We've got a load of injuries and suspensions too, which includes:
Injuries: Lamptey, Pervis, Webster, March, Enciso, Welbeck, Fati
Suspensions: Dahoud (2 more PL games); JPvH (1 EL game); Dunk (1 PL game, according to Bozza -- edit: -- who has just indicated it'll be 2 PL games)
There are a few players that weren't in the squad yesterday who should return within this four game period and potentially all might be available for Thu: Mitoma, Milner, Igor. See also: https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php
So, thoughts in terms of planning for who should feature in those four fixtures are:

Athens:
GK probably Bart
DF: 4 from: Veltman Dunk* Igor Hinshelwood Gross Milner
MF: 2 from Dahoud*, Gilmour, Baleba, Gross
A: need to rotate these so that we keep this lot as fresh as possible for the fixtures, so all to play c30/45/60 minutes: Ferguson, Joao Pedro, Mitoma, Adingra, Lallana, Buonanotte
Edit: Moder not available for EL group stage
*means ideally play all 90 mins

Chelsea:
GK probably Steele, as we need more experience in Dunk's absence
DF: 4 from Veltman JPvH* Igor Hinshelwood Gross Milner
MF: 2 from Gilmour, Baleba, Gross, Moder
A: need to rotate these so that we keep this lot as fresh as possible for the fixtures, so all to play c30/45/60 minutes: Ferguson, Joao Pedro, Mitoma, Adingra, Lallana, Moder, Buonanotte

Obviously we might suffer more injuries in Athens. In terms of the next two games, I'd like us to go for more physicality (eg Moder, Baleba) against physical Brentford and less physicality (eg Buonanotte, Gilmour) against the more technical Burnley. If possible, Lallana starting most games will be a good thing to play the first half -- his experience will be welcomed. Joao Pedro was running on empty for the last c15 minutes yesterday, but I suspect that's more down to him coming back from S Am mid-week -- would still rather he and all the others have their loads managed though.

Last edited:

Nicks

It depends on what RDZ wants to concentrate more on really.
One more win in the Europa League gives us another game in February in one league or another so he could take it a bit easier in the Marseille game ( but realistically he won't as he is a winner and will want to finish top )
As for the league it's really dependent on our Under 21's being ready to play a few bit parts up until Xmas. As long as we stay with him and the team he selects are up for it I think we will muddle our way throughout Xmas but may pay the price by playing kids in the FA Cup beginning of January.

But what do I or the other people on here know how he thinks 😉

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One more win in the Europa League gives us another game in February in one league or another so he could take it a bit easier in the Marseille game ( but realistically he won't as he is a winner and will want to finish top )
As for the league it's really dependent on our Under 21's being ready to play a few bit parts up until Xmas. As long as we stay with him and the team he selects are up for it I think we will muddle our way throughout Xmas but may pay the price by playing kids in the FA Cup beginning of January.

But what do I or the other people on here know how he thinks 😉
Go for it in Europe to get top spot - prem will maybe suffer as it has recently, but even with scratch teams Chavs, Brentford and Burnley at home could bring 4-6 points which would be fine.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Yes, I'm beginning to lean more toward putting all of our chips on EL. Winning Big Vase at the expense of finishing top 7 in EPL is more alluring.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What we can't afford is any more injuries or suspensions.

We have to play 4 games in a couple of weeks with much fewer changes than normal, plus the travelling etc.

We need our luck to change.

But RDZ won't prioritise, we know this. We'll try to win every game

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Dunk is now on 4 cautions in the PL, so when he comes back if he gets booked up to and including the Spurs game (on Dec 28) he'll have to serve a one-game suspension in the PL. Mitoma is on 3 cautions so 2 bookings in that space of time will also lead to a suspension.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Mirror reporting 3 but no decent source.

Dunk is now on 4 cautions in the PL, so when he comes back if he gets booked up to and including the Spurs game (on Dec 28) he'll have to serve a one-game suspension in the PL. Mitoma is on 3 cautions so 2 bookings in that space of time will also lead to a suspension.
As posted elsewhere, FA official discipline site showing 2 game ban for Dunk but he remains on 3 yellows.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
FWIW Chelsea have both James and Cucurella suspended for next Sunday and have something of a fullback problem themselves.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
FWIW Chelsea have both James and Cucurella suspended for next Sunday and have something of a fullback problem themselves.
Given their recent form, I have no idea whether losing Cucurella is good or bad anymore. His coming back into the side has coincided with Chelsea improving a bit, but he's also and complete liability at times. James is a much bigger miss.

I also hate to ask, but what is actually wrong with Welbeck? Is it hamstring again?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite incredible in amongst all this that we're only 4 points behind Spurs, and 6-8 behind Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
more worried about what our squad will look like when we say goodbye to players going to the asian and African cups.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Quite incredible in amongst all this that we're only 4 points behind Spurs, and 6-8 behind Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal.
Nobody seems to be running away with it this year, but that's always the case until about February when the other sides falter and Man City accelerate.

Given fixture congestion, injuries and the competitiveness of Villa, Newcastle and the inevitable improvement of United and Chelsea, it will be difficult for us to keep a European spot any way you look at it. Has to be the target nonetheless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nobody seems to be running away with it this year, but that's always the case until about February when the other sides falter and Man City accelerate.

Given fixture congestion, injuries and the competitiveness of Villa, Newcastle and the inevitable improvement of United and Chelsea, it will be difficult for us to keep a European spot any way you look at it. Has to be the target nonetheless.
No reason Newcastle and Villa won't struggle the way we have - Newcastle already are. We could well end up in the second half of the season with fitter squads than either. Really want Enciso back ASAP.

You say inevitable improvement from Chelsea and Man Utd, but who knows? Both continue to be basket case clubs, and that often seems to cause issues. Chelsea are still in the process of gelling and woefully inconsistent as a result, and with Man Utd it feels like the next problem is always around the corner atm - a number of players appear to now be briefing against the manager in the press, and that's never a good sign.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given their recent form, I have no idea whether losing Cucurella is good or bad anymore. His coming back into the side has coincided with Chelsea improving a bit, but he's also and complete liability at times. James is a much bigger miss.

I also hate to ask, but what is actually wrong with Welbeck? Is it hamstring again?
Looked like it when he went off. RDZ was very direct when asked about the injuries to Welbeck and March that he knew what they were, but wasn't going to divulge the information. He is usually specific about injuries when injured. The following doesn't give anything away either:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, I'm beginning to lean more toward putting all of our chips on EL. Winning Big Vase at the expense of finishing top 7 in EPL is more alluring.

We were exceptional last season, i'd argue our overall squad isnt yet as strong losing both Ale Mac and Moises, and the PL competition has all improved.

I think it may be tough to auto qualify again for EL, winning the EL or the conference league if we finished 3rd, will also be tough, but I concur, we should go for it now this season, when we're in it.

Dont see the point having got here, to go weaker in this comp, and stronger in PL just to try and qualify again.

And Ive always loved that iconic UEFA cup trophy, will look great on an open bus from the Pier to Hove Lawns.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It would make no sense in any scenario to 'take it easy' against Marseille.

If we finsh top, we could have two fewer games to play. We'd be straight through to the Round of 16 in March, avoiding the February play-off round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here