[Albion] Up Yours, Pundits!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
When I've seen Leeds I've been pretty impressed. They bossed a full-strength Arsenal side in the FA Cup, but ran out of steam - and that could be their downfall in the Prem. Next season will be more intense, and keeping up Bielsa's style will be tough. They like to play out from the back, too, which will be a lot more risky in the Premier League - esp without Ben White :)

Bossing possession, xG, any other stat you can trot out means absolutely **** all as that Arsenal game proved. You've got to take your chances as we've found out the hard way. Which they didn't and they lost the game. I seem to recall a fair few games in that first season and still to this day actually where I've come away and thought we've done enough to win that game but haven't which is the fundamental difference between the championship and the prem. Teams have that little bit more quality in the final third.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nice little article here..

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-forward-motion-hughton-potter-opinion

Last year we finished 18th in xPTS - a table based on expected goals (xG). Last two teams to finish bottom 3 in xPTS but stay up were relegated the next season (Swansea and Huddersfield). Totally understandable their that we were favourites for relegation.

We didn't make that a hattrick because of the decisive change in manager by Bloom, and this year we are 13th in xPTS.

Next year turn draws into wins whilst playing same brand of football, will be exciting we hope.

It's almost as if xStats are meaningless.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Nice little article here..

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-forward-motion-hughton-potter-opinion

Last year we finished 18th in xPTS - a table based on expected goals (xG). Last two teams to finish bottom 3 in xPTS but stay up were relegated the next season (Swansea and Huddersfield). Totally understandable their that we were favourites for relegation.

We didn't make that a hattrick because of the decisive change in manager by Bloom, and this year we are 13th in xPTS.

Next year turn draws into wins whilst playing same brand of football, will be exciting we hope.
Interesting. I contend we stayed up and outperformed our XG stats in big part due to Glenn's clinical finishing in the first half of last season. ManU, West Ham, Wolves etc.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm hopeful of mid-table mediocrity next season.
Finishing ahead of teams like; Palace, Southampton & Burnley [and pos Newcastle / West Ham too]
Somewhere between 9th and 14th would be good ....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm hopeful of mid-table mediocrity next season.
Finishing ahead of teams like; Palace, Southampton & Burnley [and pos Newcastle / West Ham too]
Somewhere between 9th and 14th would be good ....

Me too but I think WHU and Saints are a little ahead of us in player quality but I’d choose GP over their managers. Hopefully it’s going to be fun and less stressful post Xmas

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Don’t Four Four Two (the thinking person’s football mag) normally make their annual predictions before any of the squads are finalised?

:ffsparr:

el punal

Don’t Four Four Two (the thinking person’s football mag) normally make their annual predictions before any of the squads are finalised?

:ffsparr:

For the 2016/17 season they predicted we would finish 8th with Newcastle and Norwich taking the automatic promotion places. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports