Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Unusually quiet start to the transfer window?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're a week in to this window and I can't think of a single transfer of note made by any Premier League side, a view backed up by a quick search of pages that claim to list all DONE DEALS.

I'm sure things will pick up in time, but it does feel like an unusually quiet start to the transfer window, doesn't it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sack the bored.

Anyway our transfer window has recently shut with the sound of a Wren kitchen door closing. Hhhhhhhfth. Presumably it will open with the sound of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory door Hhhhhthing, and the smell of lovely chocolate for the next young googly-eyed turk to sniff. And wonder.

Last edited:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Has FFP finally taken its toll on the bigger clubs that spend big in each window? Keep hearing all the time that Chelsea, Spuds, Newcastle, Arsenal all have to be really careful when it comes to transfers. I'm sure I heard of an expert DULLARD that might corroborate this or just look at me from out the corner of his eye and go, stupid boy.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
This transfer window I'm mainly keeping an eye on Portsmouth #twats and whether their recent dip will cause them to spend big bucks trying to shore up an automatic promotion slot.
Hopefully any such signings will do an Asprilla to their title ambitions.
Which would be a crying shame.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It generally has a slow start. Also with FFP really kicking in clubs are being a tad more cautious. With a few teams needing to sell before they can buy, which is leading to a bit of a stand off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has FFP finally taken its toll on the bigger clubs that spend big in each window? Keep hearing all the time that Chelsea, Spuds, Newcastle, Arsenal all have to be really careful when it comes to transfers. I'm sure I heard of an expert DULLARD that might corroborate this or just look at me from out the corner of his eye and go, stupid boy.
This…..several clubs have no money to spend.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The clubs have got together and agreed to leave everything to the very end of the window so we can have a bumper, record breaking January Transfer Deadline Day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has FFP finally taken its toll on the bigger clubs that spend big in each window?

:ROFLMAO:

I'd love you to be right, but all the evidence so far is that they all just completely ignore it. Everton deducted 10 points, while City plough on despite over 100 charges against them, and Chelsea - well **** me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Guessing:
- FFP kicked in (both UEFA and PL versions) eg Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal need to sell before buying according to different media reports.
- This mini mid winter break has taken away the urgency to get transfers done early doors.
This is quite clear. The Everton points deduction and to a lesser extent, the expected 20 year FFP breaking investigation into Citeh have put the likes of Newcastle off spending huge amounts and then leaving FFP to their expensive lawyers and accountants to sort out at a later date.

Good news until the next set of loop holes (i.e. sell your advertising for 10 x the market rate to a separate business controlled by your owner) are found.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think part of it is the only clubs who could need to panic (United, Chelsea and Newcastle) are either FFP adjacent or waiting for a cash injection

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We're a week in to this window and I can't think of a single transfer of note made by any Premier League side, a view backed up by a quick search of pages that claim to list all DONE DEALS.

I'm sure things will pick up in time, but it does feel like an unusually quiet start to the transfer window, doesn't it?
....and, are the normal flurry of negotiation rumours being suppressed by all involved to stop the gazumping we have seen recently, notably from the money clubs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is quite clear. The Everton points deduction and to a lesser extent, the expected 20 year FFP breaking investigation into Citeh have put the likes of Newcastle off spending huge amounts and then leaving FFP to their expensive lawyers and accountants to sort out at a later date.

Good news until the next set of loop holes (i.e. sell your advertising for 10 x the market rate to a separate business controlled by your owner) are found.

On that last one I think UEFA caught Citeh out, there are clear rules on commercial income and connected parties. It was obvious, little old newbies Citeh had/have greater commercial income than each of Barca, Real and Manure. But as with the other proven charges, they got off the hook first time around due to time barring.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s the Everton effect yes.

Clubs are now actually taking FFP seriously.

Added to that is the examples of Chelsea and Man U, proving that a considered transfer strategy works better than a scattergun spending binge

Of course there will be a late flurry of signings, but I don’t expect to see a Chelsea or someone, do a £200m splurge, which will mean the long transfer chains you sometimes see, won’t happen in the same way

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The Everton points deduction might have zeroed some minds, on another random question, why do footballers have holes in the back of their socks, fashion? I know I should know but I don't!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One SINGLE player has come into the Prem - Ben Brereton Diaz to Sheff Utd on loan from Villarreal.

That must be the quietest start to a Jan window in a long, long time.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
See it’s impacting poor Fab, who’s had to start pushing the Google Pixel 8 Pro for money
w7-wP463BWbjZP9aTssvB6cZoBQ=.gif

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The Everton points deduction might have zeroed some minds, on another random question, why do footballers have holes in the back of their socks, fashion? I know I should know but I don't!
Apparently to reduce stress on the calves and help injury prevention. Though it may prove to be a fad rather than genuine performance enhancement, like nasal strips, bits of tape all over the place and other trends that seem to have disappeared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here