Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unnecessary repeated use of different words that mean the same thing

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The great baseball player Yogi Berra was famous for doing this. Some of his finest quotes include:

“It’s like deja vu all over again.”

“We made too many wrong mistakes.”

“You can observe a lot just by watching.”

“If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.”

Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he did not think were his: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”

“Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The great baseball player Yogi Berra was famous for doing this. Some of his finest quotes include:

“It’s like deja vu all over again.”

“We made too many wrong mistakes.”

“You can observe a lot just by watching.”

“If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.”

Responding to a question about remarks attributed to him that he did not think were his: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”

“Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”

I think there are probably some fine intellectual and philosophical gems in there! You could base a management training course on "if you don't know where you're going, you might end up some place else."

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I heard " a very eclectic mix of diverse styles of music", from some poncy **** describing some poncy album on some poncy radio station my radio became mistuned to whilst driving to Bristol. I nearly ****ing exploded.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
It's also an excellent and brilliant book by the former Algeria goalkeeper and writer/philosopher Albert Camus.

I had to look this guy up. Wow what a career. Bet there aren't many footballer-philosophers out there these days. The media like to tell me how wise David James, Clarke Carlisle and Graeme Le Saux are. In the kingdom of the blind...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I was always taught at school that certain words like "big" should not really be used as they are quite childish and should never be used in delivery of facts as it offers no real indication of size as big is very objective . This has always stuck with me and I have been wincing a lot of late, the last year this word seems to have crept into news readers vocabulary on all channels but esp the BBC. Eg "A big lorry has jacknifed and blocked the A27" or "a big earthquake has struck on the island of BongoBongo" . It's painful to listen to, dreadful.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was always taught at school that certain words like "big" should not really be used as they are quite childish and should never be used in delivery of facts as it offers no real indication of size as big is very objective . This has always stuck with me and I have been wincing a lot of late, the last year this word seems to have crept into news readers vocabulary on all channels but esp the BBC. Eg "A big lorry has jacknifed and blocked the A27" or "a big earthquake has struck on the island of BongoBongo" . It's painful to listen to, dreadful.

Subjective

Kendo3

Jul 26, 2004
Uckfield
On a slightly different theme, the pronounciation of the letter 'H' by some, its Aitch not 'Haitch'!!!!! it has the same effect of scratching your finger nails down a black board, (Kids, ask your parents) please don't add in and then over accentuate the 'Hhhh'. Thanks for listening.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I had to look this guy up. Wow what a career. Bet there aren't many footballer-philosophers out there these days. The media like to tell me how wise David James, Clarke Carlisle and Graeme Le Saux are. In the kingdom of the blind...

He was an excellent writer and studier of human nature and a decent keeper. David James was an excellent keeper and a half decent studier of human nature. Both excellent human beings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here