Unlikely places that you have had really good food.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Got taken to this veggie restaurant in Hackney once, was in a council estate and looked a right dump from the outside. Was nice inside, really friendly bloke that ran it - let you skin up and drink your own cans. This was about 15 years ago, f***ed if I could find the place when we went back there next week :mad:

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Which ones are those then? I've never found the food in them anything to get very excited about?

Not my suggestion, you should probably ask 'which ones are those then?' to the actual person who said they were good. Did you read the thread? Just asking:rolleyes:

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Tiny restaurant in a small town in Spain. The town wasn't full of tourists, but most of the restaurants were geared towards them. Instead we went to this place packed with locals where no-one spoke English and the menu was in Spanish. Once we managed to translate enough of the menu to work out what we wanted it was absolutely brilliant, I had an amazing sausage selection (sort of like a cheeseboard I suppose, loads of different flavours), while my step-dad had some wonderfully prepared freshly caught fish. Just amazing food.

Which small town?

A mid-morning breakfast at an Asian cafe in Handsworth, Birmingham. From the outside, the place looked just like a greasy spoon establishment. The food turned out to be top quality, low cost Indian cuisine.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Which small town?

I'm not 100% sure because it's somewhere we drove at random, but looking at maps and distances on Google Maps I think it was Cadaques. It looks like a good fit. Apparently the population is under 3,000, so I guess it's more of a village than a town.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Cameron highlands (tea plantation) in Malaysia. Had the best curry I've ever had, served on a banana leaf and eaten with my hand, not the one I wipe with

Exactly was what I was going to put. I lived there for five years. What a place. Did you try the Murtabak?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
An overnight truck stop somewhere between the Ngorongoro Crater and Arusha. Stopped overnight and our cook (me, missus, driver and cook in a Land Rover) made Wildebeast stew. Sat on the tailgate of the Landie eating it in the car park .. bloody lovely it was.

Best steak I've ever had (and thats a few), in the Colonia del Sacramento Yacht Club in Uraguay. Went over during the crash of 2002 and it cost us bugger all as well.

Zebra steak in Joes Beerhouse Namibia.

The lansagna the Hotel owners wife made in the tiny hotel in the back side of beyond where I stayed doing fieldwork in Italy.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
A Pub in Munich,me and my mate had traveled by train from Hamburg overnight on our way to Vienna,stopped off in Munich to change trains,starving hungry and with a couple of hours to spare went for a wander,came across a small back street bar and had this meat feast platter,which had just about every cut of meat on it-Pork steak and chops,Beef steak ,Veal,Chicken a couple of different types of sausages,Lamb cutlets the lot,oh,and some rosti and mix of vegetables.It was like something out of Man V Food.Made a Market Diner Mega Gut Buster look like a light side dish,and it was all cooked to perfection.We hadn't eaten for a day or so,washed down with one of those f***-off great steins of German beer just sticks in my memory as an epic meal.Not the best,but just perfect at that time.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Lidl. They do a Strawberry ice cream-type-thing which has bits of (would you believe) Strawberries in it & it tastes absolutely wonderful.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Landside in Billund Airport. Airside on the way back the food was as poor as you'd expect with an airport (a small regional one at that) but landside it was very surprisingly good.

However I have had some very nice steaks (probably beef) in the Flunch cafe in the HyperU in Lucon.

Having to go through three chicken breasts to find one that was actually fully cooked in a central Paris branch put me off Flunch forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports