Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] University Open Days - what to look for.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
When I was pondering which uni to go to, a mate and I drove up to Bristol one sunny day and proceeded to explore the local taverns. Ended up at the Thekla then slept in the car before driving back. That was enough to make my mind up and I've no regrets.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm the same age as you. I went to open days at Aston and Bath, and UCL.
How? It wasn't that I chose not to go to any, I was never invited to any or informed about them

I wasn't just me, I don't recall any of my friends going to any either. You had an interview with your top choice on your UCCA form and that was that

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Explore the city/town as part of the open day. Your kid is going to live there for a minimum of three years, so they need to want to be there more than just wanting to be on a course that has <20 hours of contact time a week.

I'd argue that should be priority number one, followed by finding the right course in that area.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One is in halls the other in his 4th and final year, both sorted out all their own accommodation, didn’t need to get involved, just drove them up there helped them move in etc, my daughters halls this year are superb

Edit in fact they both decided on their University as well, didn’t need to do any tours, these young people are quite organised when you let them crack on
Pretty much this. I was a taxi driver for Loughborough, Soton and Kent and she drove herself to Surrey (Guildford). The last was a bit traumatic as she took a wrong turn on the way back and went on the M25 for the very first time!! She picked Soton and pretty much sorted everything herself. At the end of the day, it's their decision, their education. They'll have checked out online reviews of the uni, will probably know the pitfalls and what's good about an area.

What I would recommend is having a look at the local town near the Uni. City Universities are probably ok but Loughborough, for example, was an absolute dump.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
my lad went to York and new within minutes that it was the Uni for him. He completed 4 year MChem and is now just starting 2nd year of his PhD. I can’t see him ever leaving York.
Yeah I loved it there, but theres no work in my field there, so I was back to the South straight away. Another piece of advice is go as far away as possible and go someone where you know no one. It forces you to find new people, and grab life by the balls. You have to fend for yourself and learn to live life. Just don't fall in love with your flatmate who already has a boyfriend back home. (EDIT: He owned a gun as well, to add the extra spice).

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Pretty much this. I was a taxi driver for Loughborough, Soton and Kent and she drove herself to Surrey (Guildford). The last was a bit traumatic as she took a wrong turn on the way back and went on the M25 for the very first time!! She picked Soton and pretty much sorted everything herself. At the end of the day, it's their decision, their education. They'll have checked out online reviews of the uni, will probably know the pitfalls and what's good about an area.

What I would recommend is having a look at the local town near the Uni. City Universities are probably ok but Loughborough, for example, was an absolute dump.
Because they did their own applications And sorted everything out I was satisfied that they would be committed to University and their courses rather that me railroading them

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Look at the national student survey for specific uni and courses to see whether the staff are decent or not.

Problem is, some students will highly-rate 'soft Lecturers' who turn a blind eye to poor attendance or lack of hard work, whereas a Lecturer who won't tolerate sh*t from arrogant or lazy students will get bad marks and feedback in the NSS.

Contrary to the usual government propaganda, turning students into fee-paying 'customers' is incompatible with maintaining academic standards and discipline.

Many students (and their parents) now expect a 1st Class degree automatically in return for their fees. And when they 'only' get a 2:2 ('cos they haven't done the work), they demand a refund or threaten legal action.

The 'marketisation' of Higher Education has been a complete and utter disaster - but of course, it's academics, not Ministers, who get blamed for the problems of universities.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ask:

How much of student fee income is siphoned-off by senior management and 'suits' (about 50%)

What the salary of the Vice-Chancellor is (usually circa £400,000-£500,000)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The only thing I'd suggest (apart from the obvious question of accommodation) is how near the city centre everything is. I chose my uni partly because it was based near the centre so shopping, nightlife, station etc was very convenient. But some people (my sister, for example) actually liked being in the middle of nowhere.

On a minor point, when did uni open days become a thing? I didn't go to any in the mid 70s, nor did my sister in the mid-80s, but they seem to be everywhere right now. You had an interview at your top choice uni and that was it
Sadly, Open Days are another consequence of Universities now being runs a corporate businesses which are in intense competition with each other, and with 'marketing departments' and business managers having far more power than the front-line academic staff (who are treated as mere automatons).

Many of the shiny new glass-and-chrome buildings on or near university campuses are as much about impressing parents and students at Open Days as actually serving any useful function during term-time.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
This was many moons ago now but I went to University open days at Lancaster, UCL, Portsmouth, Birmingham and LSE. I quickly realised that Lancaster fitted the bill of "how you would fancy being here in a wet Tuesday in November" when the person showing us around warned us it rained more-or-less every day! I quickly scrubbed Birmingham off the list as they thought it was a bit stuffy and arrogant. Portmouth's open day was the most welcoming but LSE was the best all-round thinking "yes, I could do this" and did. Quite nice as it was cheap to go to Priestfield for the games.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sadly, Open Days are another consequence of Universities now being runs a corporate businesses which are in intense competition with each other, and with 'marketing departments' and business managers having far more power than the front-line academic staff (who are treated as mere automatons).

Many of the shiny new glass-and-chrome buildings on or near university campuses are as much about impressing parents and students at Open Days as actually serving any useful function during term-time.
You grumpy old sod 😂

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's another thing: why are parents now involved in selecting unis?My parents didn't set foot in Bradford until they went to my graduation ceremony. I've just been discussing this with ex-classmates and none of their parents did either. I went to my one uni interview by myself, as I did for the start of term. Why does it have anything to do with parents?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's another thing: why are parents now involved in selecting unis?My parents didn't set foot in Bradford until they went to my graduation ceremony. I've just been discussing this with ex-classmates and none of their parents did either. I went to my one uni interview by myself, as I did for the start of term. Why does it have anything to do with parents?
Probably because it’s the parents who want junior to go to university not necessarily junior 😉

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I guess these days, a lot of parents assume that if they are subsidising their kid's university education, they feel entitled to play a more active role. Certainly, at Open Days, it's often the parents who ask the questions about Tarquin's likely career or salary - while Tarquin is cringing with embarrassment.

It's also the parents who phone-up to complain when Tarquin or Jocasta 'only' graduate with a 2:2 degree (how does one politely explain that their darling offspring were lazy entitled little sh*ts who preferred drinking and shagging for three years rather than actually studying and following the advice of their professors?).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I guess these days, a lot of parents assume that if they are subsidising their kid's university education, they feel entitled to play a more active role. Certainly, at Open Days, it's often the parents who ask the questions about Tarquin's likely career or salary - while Tarquin is cringing with embarrassment.

It's also the parents who phone-up to complain when Tarquin or Jocasta 'only' graduate with a 2:2 degree (how does one politely explain that their darling offspring were lazy entitled little sh*ts who preferred drinking and shagging for three years rather than actually studying and following the advice of their professors?).
Spot on 😂

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I went to Loughborough. And agree the town is a dump.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

You sound like you know what you’re talking about, this parent financial role you talk of, as mentioned earlier I’ve got one completing fourth and final year and one having just started, I haven’t laid out any money for either, apart fro petrol driving them up there and hotel fees ect?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, fair point. My parents didn't have to subsidise mine, as I got a grant.

Thankfully, neither of my kids has any interest in going to uni, that's a big saving on my bank balance 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here