Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University of Gloucester / shire. Help needed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
One of my son,s has been offered a place at the Uni of Glous. To me that seems somewhat early ? It is in a sports degree subject. Does any Nsc user have any info of this Uni ? Thanx. :shrug::wave:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
My son went there. Was on campus in Cheltenham. Loved it and enjoyed being in Cheltenham. Got a good degree and 'had fun!'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a jumped up college, splattered all over Gloucester and Cheltenham. Students get special rates on the buses to get from one to the other........

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I did my PGCE there. Its one of the quieter Universities, has buildings dotted all round Cheltenham. The town itself is very leafy and pleasant, but expensive. However, i did enjoy my time there. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It's a jumped up college, splattered all over Gloucester and Cheltenham. Students get special rates on the buses to get from one to the other........

I guess that depends on which course. My son spent all his time on one campus and didn't have to go to Gloucester at all. The on-campus social life was good and the centre of Cheltenham was walkable.

As for it being a 'jumped-up college' does that mean it's no good? My son really enjoyed his time there, got a good degree and now has a very good job.

Sorted!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thanks for the info,please keep it coming. He had had a look at a few such as Chester,Lancaster (which i think is well rated ?) Liverpool (edge hill) plus a few others. I dont want him to go to Uni of cent/lancs or staffs uni (stoke-on trent) Gloucester as i remember is a decent place to live & learn. However why offer him a place now ? It is mid Jan,why not later ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of it in Gloucester now - all new-build. Nice student flats down the bottom of the town near the police station and prison!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Sir Douglas Loft is studying there , maybe worth sending him a PM

As for it being a 'jumped-up college' does that mean it's no good?
University of Gloucestershire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forerunner colleges in the University timeline

1834 – Cheltenham Mechanics' Institute
1840 – Gloucester Mechanics' Institute
1847 – Cheltenham Training College (Church Foundation)
1852 – Cheltenham School of Art
1920 – St Paul's College of Education
1920 – St Mary's College of Education
1967 – Gloucestershire College of Education
1979 – College of St Paul and St Mary
1980 – The Higher Education part of Gloucestershire College of Arts and Technology
1990 – Cheltenham & Gloucester College of Higher Education
2001 – University of Gloucestershire

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The sports campus is Oxtalls i think which is on the outskirts of Gloucester. Gloucester is a shit hole really, quaint but nothing for students and the pubs/clubs are full of neanderthals.
Cheltenham is nicer and the women are hot. It's quite expenisve (though not compared to Brighton prices).
It depends what your kid wants...personally i'd want to go somewhere a bit more exciting- Bristol, Sheffield, Manchester etc.
It's a lower tier University.

WEVEGOT5FOOTCOX!

Oct 13, 2008
the desert- (middle east)
One of my son,s has been offered a place at the Uni of Glous. To me that seems somewhat early ? It is in a sports degree subject. Does any Nsc user have any info of this Uni ? Thanx. :shrug::wave:

Hi Leekbrookgull, I recently got an offer from gloucestershire ( Jan 12th) to study sports development and will probably make it my firm choice . Some of my friends have got offers months ago and universities have been accepting offers since september however the majority take their time to make up their minds (May 15th is the deadline). I assume that your son is a seagulls fan? It would be nice to have a fellow fan around who might want to travel to watch the albion from time to time....

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Thanks for the info,please keep it coming.
However why offer him a place now ? It is mid Jan,why not later ?

Some universities are quicker off the mark with their offers. January isn't that unusual now that the UCAS deadline of 15th January has passed you would expect some offers to start filtering through.

Many students have been applying since September (those who included Oxbridge in their five chosen Unis will have had their open days and offers done & dusted well before Christmas, as my Albion fan son has done). There have been open days and interviews going on at Unis all last term so offers should be coming by now.

Nice to get it all considered early. Once your son decides on which one will be his 'firm' choice then he will then be able to reserve his chosen accommodation in Spring/Summer (subject to the Uni deadline on that and subject to ultimately getting the results of course!).

My son's friend wants to do a Sports Coaching Degree and is hoping for an offer from St Mary's in Twickenham:

Homepage | Sports Coaching Science Undergraduate Degree | St Mary's University College, Twickenham

At the moment they are a bit slow with their offers I think.

Good luck to your son and all those applying this year!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Thanks for the info,please keep it coming. He had had a look at a few such as Chester,Lancaster (which i think is well rated ?) Liverpool (edge hill) plus a few others. I dont want him to go to Uni of cent/lancs or staffs uni (stoke-on trent) Gloucester as i remember is a decent place to live & learn. However why offer him a place now ? It is mid Jan,why not later ?

Unis offer at different times.

I've had 4 offers, but still waiting for Sheffield.

The other 4 (Nottingham, Birmingham, Sussex and Bradford) all made their offers to me in December.

I guess Sheffield are waiting till the UCAS deadline has passed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Sheffiled have announced that they won't consider any applications until after the UCAS deadline - other do it differently, but I know Sheffield have waited. TRHK Jr has had an offer (Hertforshire) two rejections (Warwick/Bristol) and is waiting on two (Sheff/York).

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
I'd advise you to check out the financial situation there. It has been in a mess for quite a while. A lot of people think some Universities will go bust when higher fees kick in. This is one of the places highly at risk. Do a google search and check it out. Detailed analysis was done by the lecturers' union (UCU). Well worth a look.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The-Libertine, 'Go Bust' Sheffield or Gloucester ? I never did uni,was never really an option when i went to school or left,however apart from Oxbridge uni,s like Brunell,Lancaster,Durham,Sheffield and a few others seem top of the pile ?

chops

Egg chaser & hack
Jan 4, 2011
Christchurch, NZ
I went there with Scotty Mac. Cheltenham's a great place to live and on the whole the Uni buildings are good and the courses offered are good but some of the teaching in some subject areas (media) can be a bit patchy.
Oxstalls is the sports campus, which is in Gloucester. It's on the outskirts of the city and well away from any of the rough areas, it's actually in the most affluent part of Gloucester, and Gloucester itself is actually pretty tame. You jumped up south coast mockneys are just terrified of the westcountry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here