University disciplinary hearing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
I have been summoned to attend a disciplinary hearing regarding a piece of coursework that I did last term, there are allegations of plagiarism. I am absolutely bricking it as I’m currently in my 2nd year at Manchester Met and anything that stops me getting into the 3rd year would be a disaster!!

I know I didn’t plagiarise, but after looking through it again there is a lot of poor referencing going on! Does anyone in the university sector know what I should say/do at the meeting to defend my case?

An opinion from “El presidente” would be well received especially as I know he works in the Business school as well. Cheers. :cry:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I know it sounds very obvious but just tell the truth and be absolutely honest with them. My housemate had a similar hearing last year and that seemed to be work for him. Good luck, I am sure everything will be fine.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Its probably because of the referencing, not because of actual allegations. You will probably have marks deducted, but based on the people I know who went through similar, they won't discipline you in terms of expulsion unless they think you have copied actual sections of essays from a peer or online.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Depends on your university's regulations, I guess: are you up on a "major" or a "minor" charge? Crap referencing (which is, in effect, plagiarism) would on the face of it suggest a minor one if the distinction exists, in which case - depending again on the regulations - it'll likely be a slap on the wrist with the proviso that if you do it again it'll be treated as a major offence.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
go to the students union and ask them to send someone with you to represent you nad to assist.

:thumbsup:

That was my old job!

I have seen many disciplinary hearings, all be it at one University (I won't name them... even though I left their employment in March - but I'm sure you could guess!). In my experience the students that denied everything in the face of evidence that prooved otherwise always came off worse. It may be worth printing off your essay beforehand and highlighting where you think you may have plagiarised or paraphrased. They may be impressed that you have at least realised you did some wrong... but every University is different.

The only firm adviuce I could give, is to pay a visit to the Students' Union (they will probably have an advice centre of some form).

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Should've said that marks are not deducted as a punishment, but plagiarised sections of your work cannot be marked (strictly speaking it's not your work, after all), and this inevitably reduces your final grade.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Be completely honest and if they say you haven't referenced properly then they are probably right. Student's union will provide a rep who will go with you. Try to bullshit and the academics will get pissed off.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Cheers for the input...a poor understanding of what was required of me, and rubbish referencing i think was what has been interpreted as plagiarism! i will have a look into what the student union can offer me and hopefully all will turn out well.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Or did someone copy yours ? They are not to know who did the original.

I reckon it's worth a go too.

'I wrote this half-arsed attempt of an essay, and then some bastard wrote a bloody textbook pinching stuff from it, it should be them not me who you have sat here in front of you.'

Could work

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Student work is,in the main,plagiarism.

Few thoughts are new,not even this one.

Good Luck.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
You're in second year and can't reference?

Anyway, as others have said, you just have to be honest, admit mistakes, and ask for help with referencing in the future.

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
They will not admit they were wrong and you will get zero marks for that piece of work.....followed by stern letter..

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
You're in second year and can't reference?

Anyway, as others have said, you just have to be honest, admit mistakes, and ask for help with referencing in the future.

i'm doing a masters and i struggle with it, the harvard methods regarding online journals and the like (which i'm sure wizo was using) are prrrrrrretty tough. (Seagull, HY: 2009, p342, North Stand Chat, Brighton)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports