Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Adringa is a top prospect for his age. He could stay at USG for another season or a half, depending on what happens in our transfer window over the Summer.
Maybe that'll happen and they won't be so hacked off when we take Boniface?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Surely Uncle Tone could've stumped up for an air ticket...

Belgium-based striker Victor Boniface, who is one of the leading scorers in the UEFA Europa League with five goals, stayed away from the Super Eagles for 2023 AFCON qualifiers against Guinea Bissau after he was called up but without a flight ticket accompanying the invite.

“Boniface expected his invitation letter to come with a return flight ticket,”

“He could not understand why he has to buy his ticket and then be reimbursed by the NFF thereafter.”

The 22-year-old centre-forward has netted seven goals in 27 appearances in the Belgian top league for Union St.Gilloise, who besides pushing Genk for the leadership of the league for the regular season, are also in the quarterfinal of the Europa League.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Surely Uncle Tone could've stumped up for an air ticket...

Belgium-based striker Victor Boniface, who is one of the leading scorers in the UEFA Europa League with five goals, stayed away from the Super Eagles for 2023 AFCON qualifiers against Guinea Bissau after he was called up but without a flight ticket accompanying the invite.

“Boniface expected his invitation letter to come with a return flight ticket,”

“He could not understand why he has to buy his ticket and then be reimbursed by the NFF thereafter.”

The 22-year-old centre-forward has netted seven goals in 27 appearances in the Belgian top league for Union St.Gilloise, who besides pushing Genk for the leadership of the league for the regular season, are also in the quarterfinal of the Europa League.

More stopped-clockery from Romano as he attemptis another transfer guess with one of Tony Bloom’s clubs. He’ll get one right in the end.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They are just 3 points off Genk now and assured of being in the playoffs.

If their incredibly daft playoff mini-league started now it would look like this:

Genk - 36
USG - 34
Antwerp - 32
Gent - 27

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They are just 3 points off Genk now and assured of being in the playoffs.

If their incredibly daft playoff mini-league started now it would look like this:

Genk - 36
USG - 34
Antwerp - 32
Gent - 27
I think their playoff system is quite a good way of keeping the league alive and giving any team in and around the top something to play for until the very end. It terms of fairness, it certainly makes more sense than our play off system where a team can finish 6 points clear but still go into the playoffs for the biggest financial prize in world football with no advantage over the other 3 teams.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think their playoff system is quite a good way of keeping the league alive and giving any team in and around the top something to play for until the very end. It terms of fairness, it certainly makes more sense than our play off system where a team can finish 6 points clear but still go into the playoffs for the biggest financial prize in world football with no advantage over the other 3 teams.
Does not make sense If you win the league you should win. For play offs in other league National league is better where 2nd and third go straight into semis

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Does not make sense If you win the league you should win. For play offs in other league National league is better where 2nd and third go straight into semis
On the same basis that it doesn't make sense that if you're clearly the 3rd best team in the Championship over the course of the season then you should be replacing one of the 3 relegated from the PL. However, playoffs keep the league alive and exciting, and the format is presumably voted for by all the clubs.

Champions of England in both codes of rugby are decided via play offs.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
On the same basis that it doesn't make sense that if you're clearly the 3rd best team in the Championship over the course of the season then you should be replacing one of the 3 relegated from the PL. However, playoffs keep the league alive and exciting, and the format is presumably voted for by all the clubs.

Same in Australia. Rugby League, you spend a season competing to be in the top 8. Top 8 then proceed to a mini-tournament format. Teams that finish in the top 4 get an advantage (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, winner skips next round, loser plays next round). Teams that finish 5-8 have to go the hard route (5th vs 8th, 6th vs 7th, winner to 2nd round, loser is out). Third round winners progress, losers are out. Final game is a winner takes all.

So it's entirely possible that a team that scrapes into 8th at the end of the regular season can win the title.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

It seems crazy to me that you could win the league by a huge margin, and still not be crowned champion. Imagine if Arsenal's invincible season included draws in the playoffs league, meaning they were beaten by a team that had been far less consistent all year.

Obviously I'll change my tune if USG win the title thanks to the play off system.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Play offs are very good in our leagues to keep interest going but if you win you win. Just think teams finishing in 3rd and 4th place should have some advantage over 5th and 6th place sides like they do in National league

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It seems crazy to me that you could win the league by a huge margin, and still not be crowned champion. Imagine if Arsenal's invincible season included draws in the playoffs league, meaning they were beaten by a team that had been far less consistent all year.

Obviously I'll change my tune if USG win the title thanks to the play off system.
Yeh, but like I was saying, no crazier than us finishing 6 points clear of Hull in 15/16 but with Hull eventually winning the biggest financial prize in world football. In fact the Belgium system is significantly less crazy as we'd have a least carried a tangible advantage into the play offs.

I think it's just a case of it being different to our system; therefore our immediate reaction is that it's wrong. Like you say, none of us will be complaining if USG were to finish 2nd to Genk and then overhaul them over the course of 6 games in the post-season playoff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here