Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thank you. All looks a joke. Unbelievable you can win the league and not qualify. How do they justify this as fair.
Also TV split seems very unfair.

Their season works like this: regular league play does not actually result in you "winning the league". Winning the playoff is what awards the title.

The top 4 go into that playoff. They all carry half of their points from regular season into that playoff (to give some advantage to those performing best in the regular season). These four teams then play eachother twice.

TV deal is no doubt unfair and the smaller clubs dont like it but they didnt have a choice really. Its either "you agree with this, or we move to a system where every club manages its own TV deal", which would have been even worse.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
People genuinely thinking we’ll get Undav or Vanzeir on the cheap because of Blooms involvement still makes me laugh. They look like they could be top, top talents.

Involvemnt is a bit of an understatement. He owns a majority shareholding in USG (75%). If Brighton wanted one of those players he’d be negotiating with himself, so he should be able to do a good deal.

The Pozzos seem to regularly interchange players between Udinese and Watford to suit their requirements.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Involvemnt is a bit of an understatement. He owns a majority shareholding in USG (75%). If Brighton wanted one of those players he’d be negotiating with himself, so he should be able to do a good deal.

The Pozzos seem to regularly interchange players between Udinese and Watford to suit their requirements.

You can keep thinking that. You’re still wrong.

It’ll be £15-20m minimum for either of them

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You can keep thinking that. You’re still wrong.

It’ll be £15-20m minimum for either of them

Tell me how that works then. There’s no transfer fee tribunal or market-value rules (like when clubs are sponsored by related parties), are there? The fee is set between the selling and buying clubs.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Tell me how that works then. There’s no transfer fee tribunal or market-value rules (like when clubs are sponsored by related parties), are there? The fee is set between the selling and buying clubs.

I don’t know how to make the concept of a normal transfer any simpler without drawing a diagram.

You know how every other transfer works, yeah? Well it’ll be like that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don’t know how to make the concept of a normal transfer any simpler without drawing a diagram.

You know how every other transfer works, yeah? Well it’ll be like that.

No need to be all sarcastic about it; I know how a transfer works. However most transfers don’t involve players being sold between two clubs owned by the same person. Aaron Mooy from Melbourne to City was one example of it though. And his transfer was free, despite the fact that he was Melbourne’s POTS and they’d already turned down other bids for him.

I’d imagine that if any transfers were done between USG and BHA, they’d be for a fee that suited TB, which could well be £0.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You still have other parts involved in a transfer who wants a fee to be involved: players and agents usually get a part of the transfer fee. This is for instance one of the reasons why Udinese owes Watford a bit of money despite having the same owner. (There are other reasons as well like Pozzo + Watford being broke and needing to fiddle with money in ways I dont understand). Naturally, TB can get a good deal but it wont be free and USG fans would expect him to pay up for a replacement to his key players, so thats also a cost for him personally.

Bit OT but still related: would be interesting is if both Brighton and USG would enther the Europa Conference League (which is unlikely in Brightons case but anyway). In that case TB would have to either sell one of the clubs or withdraw one of them from the competition.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bit OT but still related: would be interesting is if both Brighton and USG would enther the Europa Conference League (which is unlikely in Brightons case but anyway). In that case TB would have to either sell one of the clubs or withdraw one of them from the competition.

If UEFA are happy that RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig are separate enough entities to allow them both to compete in Champions League (and subsequently be drawn in the same group of the Europa League) I am sure Tony could convince UEFA of the same should Brighton and USG ever find themselves in the same European competition.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Related party transactions are THE hot topic in football at the moment. Lots of internal & external regulatory eyes on the entire area of transfer pricing between companies. Was always a ball ache in my industry having to show clear ‘value’ transparency when transferring assets between related companies, especially from auditors/shareholders.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
No need to be all sarcastic about it; I know how a transfer works. However most transfers don’t involve players being sold between two clubs owned by the same person. Aaron Mooy from Melbourne to City was one example of it though. And his transfer was free, despite the fact that he was Melbourne’s POTS and they’d already turned down other bids for him.

I’d imagine that if any transfers were done between USG and BHA, they’d be for a fee that suited TB, which could well be £0.

I honestly don’t know if it’s arrogance, naivety or just stupidity from our fans at this point.

You keep saying that Bloom is paying the money to himself. In which case:

Why is Bloom going to risk upsetting the chairman, board of directors, manager, recruitment team, every member of staff, every player and the supporters of USG in an effort to what? Add an extra £15m to our transfer budget before we fall foul on FFP? On the topic of FFPdon’t you think any fee will be more useful to USG than detrimental to us? Do you think any manager or any player not good enough for the EPL is going to want to sign for them when they know they’re just there to make up the numbers for a feeder club? Do you not think part of the reason Bloom owns a Belgian club is to get them in to Europe to create a pathway for work permits? And we’re going to throw all of that away so Bloom doesn’t have to pay a fee “to himself” for what reason again?

It’s literally baseless bollocks and I don’t get why so many people on here and Twitter seem to think there’s even a 1% chance we’ll sign either of them for way under their market value. It’s laughable. The fact you’re using Mooy as an example just shows how wide of the mark you are. You’re comparing Melbourne City; a team who are 12 years old and changed their name to City when they became of the City group with the third most successful team in the history of Belgian football who currently look like they’ll be playing in Europe next season. There’s every chance the players in question wouldn’t want to come here ffs and we’re debating whether we can get them on basically a free.

Edit: As someone has brought up Leipzig & Salzburg - a perfect example of players being moved for fees between two clubs of the same ownership. And a much more relatable instance than Melbourne City ffs

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
If Tony Bloom owned 100% of both clubs then he could do what he likes. However, if there are minority shareholders in a club then the Board has to act in the best interests of all shareholders which would mean that bargain deals are not possible. There is also the possibility that tax authorities in either country could insist that deals get done at fair market value if a bargain price should result in lost tax revenues.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If Tony Bloom owned 100% of both clubs then he could do what he likes. However, if there are minority shareholders in a club then the Board has to act in the best interests of all shareholders which would mean that bargain deals are not possible. There is also the possibility that tax authorities in either country could insist that deals get done at fair market value if a bargain price should result in lost tax revenues.

He owns a majority stake but isn’t the soul owner of either club I believe.

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire

I seem to recall that not acting not behalf of all shareholders was one of the things that got the Oystons into legal trouble at Blackpool.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I honestly don’t know if it’s arrogance, naivety or just stupidity from our fans at this point……It’s literally baseless bollocks and I don’t get why so many people on here and Twitter seem to think there’s even a 1% chance we’ll sign either of them for way under their market value. It’s laughable.

Exactly.

I believe that the actual deal will be a double player swap with Locadia and Connolly exchanged for Undav, Vanzeir and around £5m (according to transfermarkt). They’ll actually be paying US the balance.

Superb business from the recruitment team when they get this over the line.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Exactly.

I believe that the actual deal will be a double player swap with Locadia and Connolly exchanged for Undav, Vanzeir and around £5m (according to transfermarkt). They’ll actually be paying US the balance.

Superb business from the recruitment team when they get this over the line.

Do you know the timeline for the deal HR?

It would be good if TB opened negotiations with himself this week, so that the deal can be finalised in the January window. We could have two real, false 9s, instead of two false, false 9s in the clubber and the DJ, and unveil them at the Palace game on Friday 14th Jan. I think it's doable.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do you know the timeline for the deal HR?

It would be good if TB opened negotiations with himself this week, so that the deal can be finalised in the January window. We could have two real, false 9s, instead of two false, false 9s in the clubber and the DJ, and unveil them at the Palace game on Friday 14th Jan. I think it's doable.

I’m not one for gossip but I have heard that a pair of Albion players were seen sampling various night time economy venues in Brussels at the weekend. If the scene is right, this could go through on Jan 1st, I suspect one of our players could land a NYE gig on the 31st Dec which would certainly be a sweetener.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I’m not one for gossip but I have heard that a pair of Albion players were seen sampling various night time economy venues in Brussels at the weekend. If the scene is right, this could go through on Jan 1st, I suspect one of our players could land a NYE gig on the 31st Dec which would certainly be a sweetener.

Good point. Doesn't TB own a Brussels nightclub as well? I wouldn't put it past him to have bought it with the express purpose of attracting selected surplus players to the EU nightlife. If I know one thing about our chairman, it's that he plans ahead. It'll be interesting to see how he comes out on top in the deal (which he will of course), when he's both the buyer and the seller. Obviously negotiations will be delicate, so expect a media blackout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here