Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uninsured vehicles

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
On the road where I live, parking is a real problem. There appears to be a couple of abandoned vehicles taking up valuable space. I've checked the motoring insurance database and they're coming up as uninsured. However, both vehicles have still got a couple of months of tax on them.

Does anyone know when a vehicle becomes officially 'abandoned' and what I can do about getting these cars removed? They're old and have not been driven for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't know who the owners are.

I wouldn't normally care, but they're taking up space that legitimate vehicles need for parking.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
On the road where I live, parking is a real problem. There appears to be a couple of abandoned vehicles taking up valuable space. I've checked the motoring insurance database and they're coming up as uninsured. However, both vehicles have still got a couple of months of tax on them.

Does anyone know when a vehicle becomes officially 'abandoned' and what I can do about getting these cars removed? They're old and have not been driven for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't know who the owners are.

I wouldn't normally care, but they're taking up space that legitimate vehicles need for parking.

Phone the police and tell them the local kids are taking an interest in the cars and were seen playing round the petrol tanks with bits of old rags. That should get some action.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
if they are uninsured and on a public road i beleive they can be seized regardless of being taxed or not.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Sussex Police have a link on their site to report abandonded vehicles, you can upload a photo and point out location on a map. I have done it a couple of times on abandonded vehicles near me and they seem to be sorted quite quickly.

Sussex Police - Abandoned Vehicles

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't live in Sussex, but I'll have a look and see if Heddlu De Cymru have a link. I wasn't sure if it was a police issue or a local council problem.

This is one of those things where some councils (not all) get involved in dealing with the problem.

In Hastings, for example, the council's parking wardens check tax discs as well as parking behaviour. I'm told that it's had a huge effect on the number of untaxed and uninsured vehicles on the roads there.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
The Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 added sections 165A and 165B of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which give police the power to seize a motor vehicle being driven without a driving licence or insurance.

The operative word is being driven. I don't know if the same powers of seizure can be applied by the police if the vehicle is left unattended for a long period. I would guess not.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Phone the police and tell them the local kids are taking an interest in the cars and were seen playing round the petrol tanks with bits of old rags. That should get some action.

You may have taken this as a joke, but I have done it effectively twice. The threat of children blowing themselves up will cut through most red tape.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You may have taken this as a joke, but I have done it effectively twice. The threat of children blowing themselves up will cut through most red tape.

You know I'd HATE it if you were getting burgled or attacked in the street, only for there to be no spare police units to attend because they were dealing with a hoax emergency call for some resident who didn't like the look of an uninsured motor in their leafy suburb.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
true edna

after all all the plod in sussex are busy shoplifting wine to worry bout minor crime

Bit harsh, given that of the incident you refer to, neither of the parties has yet been charged with anything, and perhaps more importantly, one recently hung himself...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You know I'd HATE it if you were getting burgled or attacked in the street, only for there to be no spare police units to attend because they were dealing with a hoax emergency call for some resident who didn't like the look of an uninsured motor in their leafy suburb.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was not suggesting dialling 999 to get an emergency reponse, that would be irresponsible. Try a call to the local police station and just explain the severity of a situation regarding vehicles and children.

No need to divert police resources. They will come eventually, so you are just changing priorities.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Won't they ask him for descriptions of the kids tho? Then he'll be right in the shit.

That he is a she actually! And yes, it wouldn't be a credible argument. The cars are parallel parked tightly on a street with about 20 other vehicles. It's not the kind of place that would attract kids. It's well lit student area and is covered by CCTV. There seems to be a trend for international students to purchase vehicles, never use them, and then leave them parked on the streets when they finish studying and go home.

I could potentially be done for wasting police time, and I really can't be doing with that. Hence, I need to approach the situation properly and effectively.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is one of those things where some councils (not all) get involved in dealing with the problem.

In Hastings, for example, the council's parking wardens check tax discs as well as parking behaviour. I'm told that it's had a huge effect on the number of untaxed and uninsured vehicles on the roads there.

We used to have a problem round here with cars, matresses, fridges... anything actually.

The council got it's arse in gear and now if you see anything or more usually want to get rid of something they take them away in a couple of days for free.

Council tax money well spent in my book.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Apparently there are something like a million uninsured vehicles on the road, any attempt to get a few more out of the way should be supported by the authorities and applauded by the rest of us.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Just so you know, not ALL insurance companies subscribe to the database. Its quite high, something like 80% but not all so a car may have insurance even though its not shown in the database.

Just so you know, not ALL insurance companies subscribe to the database. Its quite high, something like 80% but not all so a car may have insurance even though its not shown in the database.
It must be a real PAIN if you drive a car that is insured, but not on the database.

You'll be unable to renew your tax on-line. And you'll get stopped by the police when they're out with their cameras that detect "uninsured" vehicles.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It must be a real PAIN if you drive a car that is insured, but not on the database.

You'll be unable to renew your tax on-line. And you'll get stopped by the police when they're out with their cameras that detect "uninsured" vehicles.

LB tis true-hence the reason that if the police stop you, they cant do you for having no imsurance on the spot. It needs either an admission from the driver that they dont have insurance or they are asked to produce their insurance documents and when they fail to produce them they are then summonsed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here