Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unfortunate holiday companions

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
to be honest, what IS the quickest / most sensible route to take out of interest?

to my shame I have only been to Cornwall once in my life, and that was for the eclipse 20 years ago!

headed near to Falmouth, 5 miles or so SouthWest to a place called Porthleven.

Any advice much appreciated.

I used to live in Devon and still have family there. I must have done the journey 50+ times and would offer the following advice :
Don't go this weekend, you will be one of thousands clogging the roads up and all moaning about all the others.

From Crowborough I would head for M25/M3/A3/A303. and leave early. Like f.ck-off o clock early.

Avoid the A27 (chichester's a nightmare). Ringwood to Ferndown on the A31 is terrible and the bit round Dorchester can be slow too.

Some might say go M4/M5 but, from experience the M5 will be clogged up with the Birmingham Navy (buy dinghy, go out to sea without lifejackets or radio, get rescued by Torbay lifeboat).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Get up and leave at stupid o'clock, and drive at ridiculous MPH while the roads are empty.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
to be honest, what IS the quickest / most sensible route to take out of interest?

to my shame I have only been to Cornwall once in my life, and that was for the eclipse 20 years ago!

headed near to Falmouth, 5 miles or so SouthWest to a place called Porthleven.

Any advice much appreciated.

Depending on where you are travelling from in Sussex.
It's either or TBH.
You can travel all the way along the coast to Exeter then on down the A38.
M27 to the A303 then A30 Exeter.
Or head up to the M25, M4, then M5 south.
Whatever route you choose, I would leave early early in the morning.

Just driven back down the A30 Exeter to Truro this afternoon (arriving at 3:30pm), and it was surprisingly fine (apart from being 32c) - we would never go via the A38.

You'll probably then run into plenty of traffic on the A39 towards Falmouth, but the alternatives are probably worse (the A30 has massive roadworks west of the Truro turn-off).

Once you've turned onto the A394 towards Helston, you can start to relax!

Having seen the sun rise on the A30 this morning, I can confirm it is VERY quiet at 5:30am on a Wednesday morning!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
top tip: Pack noise-cancelling headphones. Cos the whining from cornwall residents is about to become deafening :moo:

also, cornwall is full. Hope that helps.

Edit: bo11ox, I typed that ALL SHOUTING, but it came out as a whisper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks - travelling from Crowborough and tempted to go cross country out to Arundel way and then to Pompey etc and go that way rather than M25.

Realise it's going to take me hours and hours however whichever route

You will think you are nearly there when you get to Exeter. Brace yourself - you are half way there.

I've probably driven down there 30 times for holidays. Always worth the drive.

As for all that Palace nonsense, you and the family do what you like.

After all, it's only football :shrug:

(runs for cover)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After Roy (RIP) managed my local, his replacement, much to my horror, was CP . . . . I was shocked when I found out, in the bar wearing a shirt! Not a bad bloke or land lord at all, poor sod had a heart attack and died on the spot in the flat above. Only in his early 50's.

I appreciate I've hijacked a holiday thread, but my local has been most of my holidays over the years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here