Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unforgettable moments from football that have nothing to to with the match

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
When I used to get the train from Hastings on a matchday, en route to the Goldstone Ground.
You used to have to change at Eastbourne for the onwards journey to Hove.
One of my own memories was of an elderly Albion fan, who always had a small transistor radio on, so all could listen to the chatter pre and post match, where all the results were coming in.
Together with smells of cigars and the footy programs, the chap with the radio will always be a memory for me.

Yes following people after a game as far as you could who had a radio. Listening to the results on sports report was a big memory. With you with smells as well. Different grounds had different smells.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Fans United at Priestfield was always decent

Always remember “Vialli’s” rendition of “Go left go left, go right go right” before seeing him in the back of police van after the game, can’t remember who he supported, Notts County maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This and the mention of Krispies doing the rap reminded me of another story I've posted on NSC before.

A season or two after the celery debut at Northampton we were away at Barnsley. We walked onto the open away terrace to see Krispies standing on his own with a brown paper bag with something in.

As the away end "filled up" (typically about 200 of us made those sorts of trips back then) he removed the contents to reveal......a marrow. This, he waved in the air whilst singing "on Ilkley Moor b'hat 'at".

Unsurprisingly this caught the attention of plod who confiscated his vegetable of choice and wandered away, shaking their heads and saying "every team's got one...."

The only thing that surprises me about this story is that I’m not surprised. :lolol:

An evening in the Lord Nelson was never complete until Krispies had been lifted onto a table, then put one hand against his ear (like he was DJing) and started bellowing “Ner ner ner neeer ner ner...” as a prelude to a gusty rendition of “Sussex by the Sea”

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Watching from the family section of the south stand the night Millwall fans decided they'd like to have a tear up with OAP's Women , and small Children , at first i have to admit i was absolutely petrified as they came toward us , there were a handful of stewards no police so i thought retreat was the best idea , my partner just sat there along with a handful of other Brighton supporters as i made my way up to the back of the stand i stopped to see the Millwall fans in a spot of bother trying to figure out how to negotiate a 4 ft strip of netting separating the home and away fans , by now the charge had been fully halted as half a dozen Brighton fans had decided they were not going anywhere , this completely discombobulated the remaining Millwall fans most by now had retreated back to their seats in humiliation as if the netting was electrified , two Millwall fans had completely been engulfed by the netting and were easy prey for the now in attendance police , you can imagine the taunting from the few Brighton supporters left in the stand , very funny .

It did make me wonder what sort of person decides to try and pick a fight with those sat in a family section , totally without any reason or any provocation , maybe they were trying to uphold the good name of their club but whatever the reason they ended up looking like complete and utter cowardly idiots , which made up for the rubbish result on the night .

Probably best us Albion fans don't get too pious given our lot did exactly the same away at Bournemouth on live TV. Police dogs had to sort our lot out who thought it a clever idea to run a terrace full of kids and grandfathers.

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
The day before playing away to Middlesbrough in 2013, a group of 15/20 of us flew from Gatwick to Newcastle, where we were going to be staying for the weekend. We clocked Charlie Oatway necking back a few pints with some other non-playing staff in the Spoons at the airport, and soon realised we were going to be on the same flight as the team.
We had a group photo with Gus Poyet (who had earlier told us to keep it down in the departure area). it soon transpired that my group and the team were the only ones on the fully booked flight, which stressed out the cabin crew, as they said they only have a handful of people on that flight normally.
Won 2-0 the following day with Spanish Dave scoring a great goal at our end and a couple of messy nights out on the toon. Caught the flight back early from Newcastle on the Sunday, which worked out well, as the city went into lockdown later on that day as it was the Newcastle v Sunderland game; when that Newcastle fan punched a police horse...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Millwall, possibly penultimate season in Championship. On the approach to Brighton-bound trains and some early 20s Millwall yob walking up the ramp to get to the other platform leans over and shouts "Smells of bum sex here".

The entire queue turned to look at him and genuinely, without missing a beat, all burst into "You're too ugly to be gay!" including the sweetest 80+ year old lady in front of us. The two coppers who were approaching the Millwall lad to move him on almost pissed themselves. I have never seen anyone look so crestfallen in my life.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Yes following people after a game as far as you could who had a radio. Listening to the results on sports report was a big memory. With you with smells as well. Different grounds had different smells.

Don't forget the smell of a match day programme.
Even today if you plunge your face into the middle of one it's still provides that same magical smell of years gone by.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Millwall, possibly penultimate season in Championship. On the approach to Brighton-bound trains and some early 20s Millwall yob walking up the ramp to get to the other platform leans over and shouts "Smells of bum sex here".

The entire queue turned to look at him and genuinely, without missing a beat, all burst into "You're too ugly to be gay!" including the sweetest 80+ year old lady in front of us. The two coppers who were approaching the Millwall lad to move him on almost pissed themselves. I have never seen anyone look so crestfallen in my life.

Away at The New Den and a fat bloke was playing up. The Albion fans all sang at him "Have you ever seen your d...". Two Millwall girls slowly turned around as they were sitting in front of him, looked at the fat bloke and were crying with laughter. Almost felt sorry for him as he sloped off and moved away from the away end.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Don't forget the smell of a match day programme.
Even today if you plunge your face into the middle of one it's still provides that same magical smell of years gone by.

.. the old smell of urine by the open air toilets at the back of the north stand mixed with onions from the burgers they sold just outside.. nothing like it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
.. the old smell of urine by the open air toilets at the back of the north stand mixed with onions from the burgers they sold just outside.. nothing like it!

I never thought about it at the time but, looking back. one can only imagine the burger fryers were day release criminals doing community service. Who the **** else would have done that job?

I'd have said the same for the toilet cleaners, but I strongly suspect there weren't any. Maybe a "character building" chore for the apprentices?

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I never thought about it at the time but, looking back. one can only imagine the burger fryers were day release criminals doing community service. Who the **** else would have done that job?

I'd have said the same for the toilet cleaners, but I strongly suspect there weren't any. Maybe a "character building" chore for the apprentices?

..the toilet was a wall and a gutter drain, so doubt they bothered. And that graffiti they didn't clear on the wall outside the toilet. It would have had some Millennials in counselling for years. Just a different world.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
..the toilet was a wall and a gutter drain, so doubt they bothered. And that graffiti they didn't clear on the wall outside the toilet. It would have had some Millennials in counselling for years. Just a different world.

:lolol:

The memory of it was getting me quite nostalgic. If I'd had a time machine when I read your post I might well have travelled back to a home game some time between 1989 and 1992.

Health and safety wise I'd have got the train into town and had a few sherberts at either The Edinburgh or The Nightingale before staggering back to the station where things may or may not be "interesting" depending on the opposition.

Jump onto a slam door train where drunk late teens / early 20s me could have opened the door at any point on the journey and the lightbulbs had just been thrown out of First Class. Walk to the ground, pay on the gate with a grubby fiver, light a fag, go for a piss with ciggy in mouth, hand washing VERY optional and then straight for a dog burger to slake the drunkenness, eaten with one hand whilst smoking another cig on the terraces.

It's a wonder I'm still living and breathing :angel:

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
:lolol:

The memory of it was getting me quite nostalgic. If I'd had a time machine when I read your post I might well have travelled back to a home game some time between 1989 and 1992.

Health and safety wise I'd have got the train into town and had a few sherberts at either The Edinburgh or The Nightingale before staggering back to the station where things may or may not be "interesting" depending on the opposition.

Jump onto a slam door train where drunk late teens / early 20s me could have opened the door at any point on the journey and the lightbulbs had just been thrown out of First Class. Walk to the ground, pay on the gate with a grubby fiver, light a fag, go for a piss with ciggy in mouth, hand washing VERY optional and then straight for a dog burger to slake the drunkenness, eaten with one hand whilst smoking another cig on the terraces.

It's a wonder I'm still living and breathing :angel:

Ah yes, the slam door trains from Brighton to Hove when half cut on a couple of lunchtime (under age) pints in a pub that would serve us before the game with my best mate as a kid. Then the walk from Hove station, down the steps and the famous anti palace graffiti on the wall next to the flats. Then under the tunnel before walking up the back of the East Terrace and onto the Old Shoreham Road. Buy a Gulls Eye or And Smith Must Score, and a bit of a regret that the crowds had more than halved in the 80's from the 70's. Then after the game, if a bit of change left, some chips from the chip shop just up from Brighton station. Those were some of my teenage years at the Goldstone. Lots of other memories with other friends and family as well.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Ha!

@Dicknight'sMumm dropped me and [MENTION=3733]papajaff[/MENTION] off there one midday, and we spent the afternoon in the pub at the to of the hill near the Cathedral. Later DKM drove us to the game (which was at Hull if I'm correct. Could have been York).

Days like that are precious Harry. Let's hope we have the opportunity again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was 'all good fun' back in the 60s. :facepalm:

Gordon West.jpg

'Hey there, Gordon West, you're the biggest queer since Georgie Best.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here