[Albion] Unforgettable moments from football that have nothing to to with the match

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Matey away at Derby, a home fan about 10 seats away with veins in the neck pulsating and a red face whilst giving me the Gareth Hunt, THAT'S football.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hundreds of Albion breaking into the Oak Road Luton before the ground was open. Eventually the police ushered us all out again but for a while there we felt invincible.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Played wolves away when hoddle was their manager

Mexican wave went around the ground, as the game was shite, and it got to us and we ignored it

Brighton Brighton give us a wave.......came the call from wolves fans

Wooooohoooo...gay waves....blowing kisses....

It was very funny

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Using the 'toilets' at the Recreation Ground Aldershot. Basically a small brick unlit shed, that was a step below ground level - so effectively just a small pool which you unwarily stepped into. Worse even than the ones behind the North Stand at the Goldstone. Seared into my memory as I had to endure wet, and rather smelly, socks/trainers for the rest of the day.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
83 cup final year, on the West Terrace, just in front of the press box with John Vinicombe behind and the radio guys giving commentary. About 3-4 steps down in front of me were two OAP regulars, bit like Duffy and Waldorf from the muppets, nice guys always said hello and chatted with the rest of us around them. Anyway they both wore glasses and at one match there was an almighty scramble for a ball involving I think Nobby Horton, who was trying to get the ball and eventually it got loose and then decided to belt it out of touch, which he did, and the ball rocketed straight in to one of the OAP's face :eek:. He went down like a sack of spuds and everybody rushed to to see if he was ok, Nobby checking as well, then St Johns came running in and after a while he got up and was led away with a cut above his eye, his mate with him. Game continues and we don't see them again. Next home game they are back, and the previous victim is all smiles and thanking all of us regulars around him. His glasses had been repaired with a plaster! :lolol: About twenty minutes in and this time, Fozzie comes steaming in to clear a loose ball and (you guessed it!) the ball hits the other OAP, smack in the face :ohmy: Same result, face cut and broken glasses. All the regulars, whilst being concerned for the old feller and helping him out, were also trying not laugh. Next home game, both standing there, with glasses repaired by plasters, as badges of honor, but it was funny to see the both of them with a clear bit of terrace about 10 ft wide around them. Nobody stood close to them for the rest of the season.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The megaphone ‘borrowed’ from a steward in the away end at Adam’s Park, Wycombe, one frosty Boxing Day.

Brilliant. Have no recollection what the game was like or the score.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Euro '96 at Wembley, England v Germany.

We were in the section next to the German fans. a few rows in front of us was Johnny PFC Westwood (Pompey tw@t with the bell).
He started waving with both arms to hundreds of Germans who then started waving back.
At which point Westwood with two clenched fists next to each other then produced a simulated machine gun attack on the Germans with the matching sound effects.
Although the bloke is a tw@t it was a laugh out loud moment seeing how much it wound up the Germans.
The police duly arrived and gave him a warning telling him to stop or be ejected.

I know I shouldn’t, but I just LOVE this story. :bowdown:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
83 cup final year, on the West Terrace, just in front of the press box with John Vinicombe behind and the radio guys giving commentary. About 3-4 steps down in front of me were two OAP regulars, bit like Duffy and Waldorf from the muppets, nice guys always said hello and chatted with the rest of us around them. Anyway they both wore glasses and at one match there was an almighty scramble for a ball involving I think Nobby Horton, who was trying to get the ball and eventually it got loose and then decided to belt it out of touch, which he did, and the ball rocketed straight in to one of the OAP's face :eek:. He went down like a sack of spuds and everybody rushed to to see if he was ok, Nobby checking as well, then St Johns came running in and after a while he got up and was led away with a cut above his eye, his mate with him. Game continues and we don't see them again. Next home game they are back, and the previous victim is all smiles and thanking all of us regulars around him. His glasses had been repaired with a plaster! :lolol: About twenty minutes in and this time, Fozzie comes steaming in to clear a loose ball and (you guessed it!) the ball hits the other OAP, smack in the face :ohmy: Same result, face cut and broken glasses. All the regulars, whilst being concerned for the old feller and helping him out, were also trying not laugh. Next home game, both standing there, with glasses repaired by plasters, as badges of honor, but it was funny to see the both of them with a clear bit of terrace about 10 ft wide around them. Nobody stood close to them for the rest of the season.

It was at Priestfield. The ball came into the crowd and, instead of waiting for it to land, I decided to be a smart-arse and volley it back onto the pitch. It wasn't a good idea: the ball flew off my foot sideways straight into the physog of the bloke standing near me. His mates fall about laughing while I looked for a hole to hide in.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Promotion to the PL:

Pitch invasion. Knocky leading the players singing. Dunk leaving the pitch in just his underwear.

Singing in the NS 'we're on our way' with all the other usual songs, beer flying everywhere, getting well and truly sozzled acting like a complete idjit and not giving a damn.

Getting the train back to Btn station and then on to Shoreham full of euphoric fans.

Walking thru Shoreham town in my replica shirt with strangers smiling and putting thumbs up and saying great we got promoted. Walking over the Norfolk Bridge and being beeped by cars as I walked along with arms waving out the windows and various shouts of 'Albion'.

Magical moment as a Albion fan.

Random YT clip;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq7K2aaD03s

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
It was at Priestfield. The ball came into the crowd and, instead of waiting for it to land, I decided to be a smart-arse and volley it back onto the pitch. It wasn't a good idea: the ball flew off my foot sideways straight into the physog of the bloke standing near me. His mates fall about laughing while I looked for a hole to hide in.
I might be misreading what you have described but I think this was another incident?
What I described was at the Goldstone. The Godfather to my daughter was with me so I hope the both of us weren’t dreaming :) But still funny that it happened somewhere else.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Play off final 2004 outside the pub . Massive game of keepy uppy . hilarious watching the ball come down on top of peoples heads who werent paying attention or knocking their beers everywhere. Then it came to me ...... My moment of glory ..... I thought id give it a huge kick . Kicked it on the roof of the pub and end of game and chants of who are ya or something like that.

Same day on the train home a Bristol City fanwalked past us down the carriage . I knew this as he had a home shirt on. Thats all he had though just a top . He was bollock naked, no undies, no socks even.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I might be misreading what you have described but I think this was another incident?
What I described was at the Goldstone. The Godfather to my daughter was with me so I hope the both of us weren’t dreaming :) But still funny that it happened somewhere else.

Sorry, my opening sentence was misleading: this happened to me. I wasn't trying to say that yours happened somewhere else. Your comment reminded me of mine

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Using the 'toilets' at the Recreation Ground Aldershot. Basically a small brick unlit shed, that was a step below ground level - so effectively just a small pool which you unwarily stepped into. Worse even than the ones behind the North Stand at the Goldstone. Seared into my memory as I had to endure wet, and rather smelly, socks/trainers for the rest of the day.

Yep. Barnet's original Underhill was similar IIRC. Vague memories of many of us giving up and using the wall.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
At the Boleyn and about 100 West Ham fans sang 'does your boyfriend no you're here?'. As if rehearsed for months, thousands of us retorted effeminately with 'ooh, get her!' then it seemed the whole Brighton end roared 'You're to ugly to be gay!' It wasn't the most sophisticated attack on homophobia, but it was bloody awesome!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Oh and drawing a cartoon about a plane crashing into Barry Lloyd's office, then waking Monday morning to my Mum demanding to know what I've done now, as it was a news story on both national and local news on BBC and ITV!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I recall a really funny interchange between Millwall and Bristol City Fans many years ago during a midweek match.

It exposes the misodjinay and homophobia of both sets of fans and although quit horrendous to listen to. I couldn't help but find it funny.

Around now there are quite a few female medical assistants and trainers but back in the 90s it wasn't common. However Bristol City has a female trainer who rushed on to treat the Bristol players every time one of them got injured. Every time she came on Millwall fans would sing " Do you take it up the ar$e ?

The poor woman was subjected to this about 4 or 5 times in a row and I was thinking this must be really awful for her to go through that.

Then all of a sudden the Millwall Trainer had to come on to the pitch to to treat a Millwall player. The Millwall Trainer was as you would expect a Man.

But guess what the Bristol City fans started singing ?

You probably guessed correctly .

Now not that I approve of either the misodjinay or the homophobia of either set of fans but I couldn't help but laugh at the Karma of the situation that Bristol City fans dished out to the Millwall fans that night.

I am sure I have related this tale before but IMHO it is worth of a repeat.

One of my very rare away game visits, this was to Plough Lane just post the "crazy gang" era. Midweek evening game and I am sure someone will enlighten me as to the date - early to mid '90's I think.

Dull 1 - 0 loss for the Albion. Leaving the ground there was a very slight amount of "argy bargy" between fans. My small group of four were minding our own business and walking back to the car. Following us and a reasonable crowd of Albion fans were two young - mid teens - and not very big Wimbledon fans "giving it large" and inviting the larger crowd of Albion fans to "stand and fight, it's now or never...".

Being short they probably did not spot the two large members of the Met. (or maybe Surrey) constabulary striding purposefully toward us. The Albion fans parted like the Red Sea, the two Herbert's still continued their tirade and the Officers, without breaking stride, each took an arm of the lippiest of the two. I recall that his legs still kept going like Wile E. Coyote when running off a cliff and the cherry on the top was one of the officers uttering the immortal words into his ear (which I thought until then to be an urban myth) "....you're f*****g knicked son...".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports