Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Under rated actors

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We have the heavyweights such as De Niro, Pacino, Hopkins etc but who in your opinion is a mighty fine actor who for whatever reason does not get the recognition and awards they deserve for their work.

I my opinion the 2 actors below are on their day as good as the above but do not as yet have an oscar on their mantlepiece.

Tom Cruise
Jim Carrey

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bernard Cribbins

and he did the voices for the Wombles

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Cruise??? That's a joke right? He makes Michael Caine look multi-dimensional and Roger Moore look like a master of facial expressions.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Jim Carrey. Give me strength. If gurning like a Saturday morning kids' TV presenter is acting, then yes.... otherwise, forget it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tim Curry the original Frank'n'furter

bobbyzee

Feb 17, 2004
Division 1
Icy Gull said:
Tim Curry the original Frank'n'furter
:clap: well said...very underated:clap:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom Cruise - Born on the 4th of July, Rainman

Jim Carrey - The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Spotless Mind

You've all proved my point about being underated with your knee jerk reactions to the 2 actors named without thinking it through.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth Glover said:
Tom Cruise - Born on the 4th of July, Rainman

Jim Carrey - The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Spotless Mind

You've all proved my point about being underated with your knee jerk reactions to the 2 actors named without thinking it through.
Cruise wasn;t particlularly amazing in Rain Man. That was Hoffman's film. He was good in Born..July but all actors are capable of one good performance. Even Burt Reynolds managed two.

I don't like Jim Carrey, although he was good in The Truman Show.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Michael Jayston- Lives in Hove and bowls a might tempting leg break for Rottingdean cricket club. His work ranges from 'Only Fools & Horses' to ' Nicholas & Alexanda'.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Edward Norton, from Fightclub and American History X. Quality actor.

After watching Pirates and Once upon a time in Mexico I've also become a bit of a Johnny Depp fan of late.

Tom Cruise despite appearing in some real cheese fest movies is actually a very good actor. This may be based on A Few Good Men being one of my fave films.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With the exception of The Truman Show, I cannot watch a Jim Carrey film without recourse to violence and anger. The man is hopeless. As for Tom Cruise - he can act, but is in the 'also rans' for quality.

I am afraid I am with Jonathan Ross, who described Ed Norton as 'currently Hollywood's most over-rated under-talented actors...'

My list of non-Oscar winners includes... Timothy Spall, Geoffrey Rush (oh bollocks, hang on a minute, does he have an Oscar?), Alan Alda, um... get back to you on that.

I can't include Jim Broadbent, 'cos he DOES have an Oscar.

Last edited:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Does Steve Buscemi have an oscar?

And does not having an Oscar means someone is underrated, or simply outshone at the time it was won?

Its like saying a band is crap if its never had a No. 1 single.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
I was going to joke about Leon but got beaten to it.
Joking aside though, one footballer who can act is Vinnie Jones. He was definately the best in Lock, Stock and 2 smoking barrels. What debut. It was his finest moment since grabbing Paul Gascoigns nuts!:smokin:

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
CP 0 3 BHA said:
Timothy Spall - gives hope to us all!

You should use that as your signature.;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here