Under cover police cars- do you have to stop?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
undercover and unmarked are two different things. In order to effect a stop in an 'unmarked' car i.e a traffic car fitted with blues etc must be driven by a constable in uniform.

That is my understanding.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm fairly certain that the people who believe in anything ever posted on Facebook as fact are also the same persons who blindly follow their Sat-Navs into a river.

The sensible thing to do if an unmarked police car with flashing blue lights and a siren indicates for you to pull over would be to bloody pull over! If a policeman/woman in uniform gets out and approaches your window then I would suggest it is a genuine, if a hairy fat bloke with a hard on and a gimp mask with RAPIST printed on it gets out then it probably isnt the police.

If you fail to stop for an unmarked police car I can only imagine it will end badly for you with several marked police cars turning up and in all likelihood t-packing you off the road.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It must be a marked police car, even stop signs in the back etc do not count as you can buy similar signs and put them in yourself.

Jesus, if you really think that, then what would be the point of having unmarked cars on the road??

Dec 29, 2011
I'm fairly certain that the people who believe in anything ever posted on Facebook as fact are also the same persons who blindly follow their Sat-Navs into a river.

The sensible thing to do if an unmarked police car with flashing blue lights and a siren indicates for you to pull over would be to bloody pull over! If a policeman/woman in uniform gets out and approaches your window then I would suggest it is a genuine, if a hairy fat bloke with a hard on and a gimp mask with RAPIST printed on it gets out then it probably isnt the police.

If you fail to stop for an unmarked police car I can only imagine it will end badly for you with several marked police cars turning up and in all likelihood t-packing you off the road.

:lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Facebook thing is just another example of the sort of crap that certain types of people spend their lives thinking up in order to scare the crap out of people (I don't mean the OP made it up, I'm talking about the troll who invented it in the first place. It's a total urban myth.

You are legally obliged to stop if required to do so by a constable in uniform. That constable does not have to be in a marked car, by which I mean a car covered in the sort of blue & yellow (or red & white, whatever) markings and the words POLICE in large letters. Most police officers would be in marked cars, and you have to stop if they ask you to.

An unmarked car is- patently- less identifiable as a police car, with no writing or markings on it. It would normally be fitted with covert blue lights however, with which to signal motorists to stop if required. If you don't stop when required to do so by officers in such a vehicle, then you commit an offence.

I suppose you might find a plain old car being used for some sort of errand, which is not marked and doesn't have blue lights. In theory, provided the constables inside it were in uniform, then they could by some means- flashing headlights or whatever- signal for you to stop, and again, you would be legally obliged to do so. However, in that situation, you might have a legitimate case for arguing that you had no idea it was a police car and could not reasonably be expected to know.

As the previous poster suggests, if you fail to stop when required, there is a certain risk you will find yourself rapidly surrounded by several police cars, attempting to force you off the road. Either that, or having all of your tyres punctured so you have little choice.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You are legally obliged to stop if required to do so by a constable in uniform.

What if, say an officer from CID or SOU (do they still exist) who is in plain clothes stops you in an unmarked car ?

The Facebook thing is just another example of the sort of crap that certain types of people spend their lives thinking up in order to scare the crap out of people

Don't forget they have to be wearing their hats to stop you too :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports