Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Under 21 Premier League International cup

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I couldn’t find any other threads, but please merge if I’ve missed it.

Our under 21 side play their second match in the U21 version of the champions league tonight at 7pm against Monaco.

The first game passed me by but we beat Feyenoord 2-0 with our group table looking like this (below). We can go top if PSV don’t win, but it’s not clear on that website when or who they are playing.

There are 3 groups with 8 teams and oddly half of the 24 are English sides!

See more here, if you are interested. https://www.playmakerstats.com/edition.php?id=166599
I don’t know whether the games are shown live online or not

0355AE1F-E76B-46B6-A156-EF0C95BB8286.jpeg

SAC

May 21, 2014
English clubs including Stoke and Blackburn but excluding Spurs, Chelsea and City and other PL teams, I wonder what the qualifying criteria was. Lots of big European clubs also missing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I couldn’t find any other threads, but please merge if I’ve missed it.

Our under 21 side play their second match in the U21 version of the champions league tonight at 7pm against Monaco.
This competition isn't officially the U21 version of the Champions League. It was created by the Premier League to provide English academy teams the chance to play against the best from Europe, and to keep the focus on development no prize money is offered.

UEFA do run their own "Champions League" for academy teams, called the UEFA Youth League. This is for U18s though and is normally played by academy teams of Champions League sides and U18 domestic champions. Obviously the lack of a tournament for U21s is what prompted the PL to create the International Cup.

UEFA tried to block the creation of the International Cup and do not sanction the tournament. When the tournament was originally created entry was based on finishing position in PL2 for English clubs and the European teams are invited to take part. However it seems to have changed for English clubs based on who is playing this season.

All games are normally played in England, including those between European teams.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Pretty even match so far but I’d say we’ve had the better chances. The speed and fitness of these lads is amazing.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This competition isn't officially the U21 version of the Champions League. It was created by the Premier League to provide English academy teams the chance to play against the best from Europe, and to keep the focus on development no prize money is offered.

UEFA do run their own "Champions League" for academy teams, called the UEFA Youth League. This is for U18s though and is normally played by academy teams of Champions League sides and U18 domestic champions. Obviously the lack of a tournament for U21s is what prompted the PL to create the International Cup.

UEFA tried to block the creation of the International Cup and do not sanction the tournament. When the tournament was originally created entry was based on finishing position in PL2 for English clubs and the European teams are invited to take part. However it seems to have changed for English clubs based on who is playing this season.

All games are normally played in England, including those between European teams.
I went a UEFA Youth League game out in Leverkusen, they play the same teams as in the senior group. Was a decent game, but only for under 18s. Lots of scouts at the game I went to, including Grant Holt who was a really nice bloke more than happy to have a chat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here