Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watched "Final Destination" Trilogy over the weekend - very good films

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What about Hostel , I like horror's but it is meant to be pretty sick stuff. Also Devil's Rejects looks interesting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Final Destinations films are well above average teen horror flicks, see my review of 3 earlier in the thread, a horror franchise that actually has worth and credit, roll on part 4 as far as I am concerned.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Probably,

US / Uk Box Office

FD 1 $ 53000 000 / £ 10 000 000
FD 2 $ 46000 000 / £ 5 500 000
FD 3 $ 54 000 000 / £ 9 000 000

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hostel is just a basic all-out gorefest. OK if you like that kind of thing, but don't expect much in the way of plot or scripting.

I've recorded Audition off Film 4 the other night, might give that a whirl tonight after the football.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tonight I will mainly be watching the mighty Duel 8.4 , the wunderkids first film and his brilliance is all to see in 1972 at the tender age of 25.

The other half has not seen it yet so if she thinks it is gash we may have to end.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone seen this Hard Candy yet, not seen it but the premise does the impossibly of feeling sory for a kiddy fiddler. I may get it out on DVD but the nut cutting off scene may be too much to take.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:
The other half has not seen it yet so if she thinks it is gash we may have to end.
Blimey, thats harsh.
Give her another chance with Raiders, at least.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Spielberg's film recommendation this week.

One of the greatest acting performances put to celluloid from Hopkins, Winger isn't too shabby either. Sir Dickie's best film , better than Gandhi for sure.

-------------------------------------------------

Shadowlands (1993)
Directed by
Richard Attenborough

Writing credits
William Nicholson (play)
William Nicholson (screenplay)

Add to MyMovies IMDbPro Details

Genre: Biography / Drama / Romance (more)

Tagline: He thought that magic only existed in books, and then he met her.

Plot Outline: C.S. Lewis, a world-renowned writer and professor, leads a passionless life until he meets spirited poet Joy Gresham. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Dewy-eyed, but not all wet (more)

User Rating: 7.4/10 (4,948 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Julian Fellowes .... Desmond Arding
Roddy Maude-Roxby .... Arnold Dopliss
Michael Denison .... Harry Harrington
Andrew Seear .... Bob Chafer
Tim McMullan .... Nick Farrell
John Wood .... Christopher Riley
Andrew Hawkins .... Rupert Parrish
Peter Howell .... College President

Anthony Hopkins .... Jack Lewis
Edward Hardwicke .... Warnie Lewis
Robert Flemyng .... Claude Bird

James Frain .... Peter Whistler
Toby Whithouse .... Frith

Daniel Goode .... Lieven

Scott Handy .... Standish
(more)

Runtime: 131 min
Language: English
Color: Color (Eastmancolor)
Sound Mix: Dolby SR
Certification: Argentina:13 / Chile:14 / Finland:K-8 / Spain:T / Sweden:7 / UK:U / USA:pG / Singapore:pG / Australia:pG / Germany:12

Trivia: Robert Flemyng's last film role (more)

Goofs: Continuity: The first time Jack appears in the hospital, the physician comes out of Joy's room and tells him Joy's left leg "snapped like a twig." It is her right leg which is shown collapsing and being treated throughout the film. (more)

Quotes: Joy Gresham: We can't have the happiness of yesterday without the pain of today. That's the deal. (more)

Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars. Another 7 wins & 5 nominations

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

What a heap of shit the remake is. Depp is POOR at best as Wonka and the effects ruined it for me too. The magic of the first film is completely lost in the cgi and the oompa loompas are straight WACK. Nice one Burton you GIMP.

Edit: Plus the whole film seems rushed as Burton stuffed all that shit about his father in the film for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

What a heap of shit the remake is. Depp is POOR at best as Wonka and the effects ruined it for me too. The magic of the first film is completely lost in the cgi and the oompa loompas are straight WACK. Nice one Burton you GIMP.

Edit: Plus the whole film seems rushed as Burton stuffed all that shit about his father in the film for no apparent reason.

He's right. It's gash.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

The Independent gave it 5 out of 5 in its Sky Movies review the other week. I watched it for a while and considered it an utter shit. Burton is just a re-maker now. He dyes his hair and says he'll never grow up with his look and the look of his make. Well now its just old unwanted debris that the masses might devour. A career rather than something he wants to do with desperation in his tone.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw a Scanner Darkly last eve. What a rather enjoyably nervous couple of cinematically drugged hours. Eyeballs move faster and with more relished fever in anime than real life, so doubts are filtered and bid farewell by other more important ones.
Good stuff, i thought. I don't know about 10s and earnt scores. Just that it had moments to remember and a tingle i could recognise.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
RIP Glenn Ford.

One of those Hollywood stars that when you see him on TV, most people go: "Oh, I know that guy, I saw him in - now what was it again? Can't remember his name though...."

Everyone forgot he was still alive - and now he isn't.

But how many other actors got play opposite Rita Hayworth's ample cleavage, AND to adopt Superman?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Goal 7.0

I wasn't sure about this film, it hardly took the box office by storm and most Football films are gash but watched it and it was really suprisingly good. It has a good story about a Mexican lad living in illegally in Los Angeles getting a chance to play at the mighty Newcastle United FC after being spotted by a coach who was on holiday.

The human story was well told, the action was good and realistic and it was quite moving in places. You don't even have to like football to like this film.

Also a great line by the manager " The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back " Colin Kazim-Richards are you reading ???

Recommended and the best football film I have watched.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports