NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:p

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
afters said:
what on earth are you doing watching a half-decent film US? was the wrong film in the AI box?:)
:lolol:
Uncle Spielberg said:
The Lost Weekend (1945)
Color: Black and White
Or maybe, because of the above, he thought it was Schindlers List? :wave:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You wit knows no bounds :rolleyes:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
MOH give me your film recommendation for this week.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Spielberg said:
MOH give me your film recommendation for this week.
OK, will do - in honour of the World Cup, a internationally-famous German film that ISN'T about the 12 year period from 1933-1945:
goodbye-lenin.jpg

In all seriousness, I guess you've probably already seen it - if not, I'd say you're in for a treat. Caustic wit AND a big load of sentiment too, plus great music from Yann Tiersen who did the music for Amelie.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Good Bye Lenin is a very good call. Two other great German films that don't mention the war (and think they got away with it) are Wings of Desire and Run Lola Run.

I'm still gobsmacked by US watching a Billy Wilder film however.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I watched waiting... on friday, found that it was averagley alright with a few funny bits in places
4/10

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Saw the film and was not overly impressed.

Vinny Jones is the worlds worst actor, he cant say anything without it coming out hammy.

Hugh Jackman was the only real bright point from this film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Another bloody quiet week with gash at the cinema and sod all in the dvd store. Wanted to see MI 3 at the Marina yesterday but some stupid make a splash event meant the car park was full. Went to the Odean thought about watching The Da Vinci Code but Kermode has put me off that and went home.

Got Hobeken Hollow on DVD and it was seriously fecked up. Its based on a true tale about some Hillybilly inbred family similar I would imagine to the Southwick Soldiers homes where they round up transients in the middle of Texas and force them to work on their farm and if they don't they get killed and tortured. There were some pretty gross scenes and something resembling a plot and for a low budget horror was not as good as Wrong Turn but better than Cabin Fever. Worth a watch and 5.8

Seeing A Histrory of Violence tonight on dvd.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Spielberg's film recommendation this week.

This is the greatest ever film comedy with the late great and sadly missed John Candy and Steve Martin when he was at his peak. Warm, funny, touching and a wonderful triumph 8.4

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Directed by
John Hughes

Genre: Adventure / Comedy / Drama (more)

Tagline: What he really wanted was to spend Thanksgiving with his family. What he got was three days with the turkey.

Plot Outline: A man must struggle to travel home for Thanksgiving, with an obnoxious slob of a shower ring salesman his only companion. (more) (view trailer)

User Rating: 7.3/10 (14,755 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Steve Martin .... Neal Page
John Candy .... Del Griffith
Laila Robins .... Susan Page
Michael McKean .... State trooper
Kevin Bacon .... Taxi racer
Dylan Baker .... Owen
Carol Bruce .... Joy Page
Olivia Burnette .... Marti Page
Diana Douglas .... Peg
Martin Ferrero .... Second motel clerk
Larry Hankin .... Doobie
Richard Herd .... Walt
Susan Kellerman .... Waitress
Matthew Lawrence .... Little Neal Page
Edie McClurg .... Car rental agent
(more)

Quotes:
Del: You know I had a feeling that when we parted ways. We would somehow wind up back together again. I've never seen a guy get picked up by his testicles before. Lucky thing for you that cop passed by when he did. Otherwise, you'd be lifting up your schnutz to tie you shoes. I'm sorry. That's terrible. Do you have any idea how glad I am I didn't kill you?
Neal: (High voice) Do you have any idea how glad I'd be if you had?
Del: Oh, come on, pal, you don't mean that. Remember what I said about going with the flow?
[...]

PLANES, TRAINS...

---------------------------------

User Comments:

Consistently funny with some good adult sentiment, 5 October 2003
Author: bob the moo from Birmingham, UK

Neal Page is trying to get home in time for thanksgiving with his family. When his plane is diverted to Wichita due to heavy snow elsewhere he finds himself partnering up with shower curtain salesman Del Griffith. However Del is not Neal's immediate first choice for travelling partner and the two soon find that one misfortune after another wears their patience very thin.

While comedies have moved on to become more grosser and outrageous in order to tickle our dulled funny bone, PT&A manages it with what now seems like restraint but is really a good example of `wacky™' comedy, mixed with a good vein of sentiment and character. The plot is pretty good although some of it pushes the boat out to the unreal in order to get laughs – but this isn't a problem because it DOES get laughs, if it hadn't then it might have been an issue. Most of it is hilarious although some drags early on.

The deeper beauty of the film is how well controlled Hughes is in painting his emotions. Usually his stuff can be sickly sweet but here he mixes it well with the comedy. The relationship between Neal and Del is good and they both have things to learn (more so Neal), the hurt they inflict on one another is well done and not to the point that the comedy is stopped. Thankfully the two actors are good enough to carry it off. Martin is close to his manic best and Candy plays a loveable goof. The best scene to see them working is when Martin is laying into Del in the hotel room – the expressions on their faces (Candy esp) during this makes it hard not to feel anything. The support cast do good work whether it be now-famous cameos or just support cast but each character has their own little thing!

Overall I worry that modern audiences may have become so used to everything being so OTT and gross that this film may seem subtle (even though it isn't). However aside from that this is a very funny film that does have a good heart. Not a perfect film in any way but it does exactly what it says on the tin - it made me laugh hard but also had a believable emotional core.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A History of violence - dvd

Cronenberg is a very undarated director and his works include The Fly a superlative horror remake, Spider, and Existenz. His work is always interesting.

This is a fine piece of film making about an ordinary guy with a dark past. Mortenson gives a terrific performance in the lead role and all the actors including Ed Harris and William Hurt are on good form. Mortenson is a reluctant killing machine and in one scene takes out 3 men within 30 seconds without a weapon.

Its interesting , well told and paced and shows what Cronenberg is capable of.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Saw Love + Hate, British kitchen sink drama about racism and adolescent love. Very good indeed, well worth checking out although it's only on limited release. 8.3.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Poor viewing recently but seen

Flight 93 - 6.2

made for TV drama about the events of 9/11 and the flight to Washington, ok but nowhere near as good as

United 93 - 8.3

A brilliantly made film by Greengrass, factual, unbiased and utterly devastating in its telling. The end 5 minutes as the people charged the cock pit and the frenzy and utter desperation was as close to realising the event as possible. No preaching, no side taking , just a portrayal as close as possible to the events and a fine honourable film to remember the victims by.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Saw Sideways on Friday. Am not a big Alexander Payne fan and thought About Schmidt was a steaming pile of dog shit but actually rather enjoyed Sideways. Once again Paul Giamatti put in a great performance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sideway is superb, one of the best films of the last year 8.5

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Paul Giamatti put in a great performance.

Pretty tasty in Cinderella Man as well.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Paul Giamatti put in a great performance.

Pretty tasty in Cinderella Man as well.

I've got to admit I didn't find him that attractive in Cinderella Man, he did give a very good performance in it though.

Oh and my score for Sideways is 7.3

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here