Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I watched "The Da Vinci Code" with Tom Hanks at the weekend after buying it a few months back and umming and arring over whether to watch it. Eventually sat down to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only gripe was that it did start extremely slow, and also not being very religious in the slightest, I did need to listen to every little thing to understand what was going on. I havent read the book and a lot of people who have, said that alot was missed out from the book. The lead actress was very yummy however. 7/10

I also sampled the delights of "Saving Private Ryan". What an awesome film it was, bit Americanised but overall very good, and if anyone has played Medal Of Honor, there were alot of scenes including the Omaha Beach scene which is exactly like it was in the game, so very very good. 8/10.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Having been in the Lake District for the last week no doubt you have all missed my wit and raconteur but fear not I am back. I did take the opportunity to see at the local fleapit in Windermere, Transformers. The 5 of us went to this small and pretty average cinema and the crowd of 40-50 settled down in the crappy chairs. The film is as expected and does exactly what it says on the tin. It is best watched as a light hearted action film even with some comedic value, it does not take itself too seriously and is a breezy affair. The action starts in awesome fashion with a Decepticon disguised as a helicopter taling out an entire Army base on its on , during this the Scorpion detaces and burrowed into the sand to be seen later. It is the best opening of a film in many a year. The plot is wonderfully ridiculous but I did not go expecting Hamlet and I did not go expecting to see an Oscar winning acting performance. Shia Lebouef however was spot on and is the rising star ( soon to be seen in Indiana Jones 4 as Indiana's Son ) and Megan Fox is gorgeous. The friendly Autobot Bumblebee transforms after chosing Sam as its master and it kicks off from then when Optimus Prime makes his way into the scene.

The transformations are stunning and it is the best special effects ever produced, it has raised the bar.

The Decepticons group when the Cube is detected and all hell breaks loose. Megatron is the biggest and best and the show down between Megatron and Optimus Prime is superb.

All manner of decepticons appears including a coke machine and a mobile phone. It is a tale of Good V Evil and is a triumphant adaptation of the comic book cartoons to the big screen.

The cinema I saw it is did not have a state of the art sound system or screen so I will be watching it again at the Brighton Multiplex for full effect.

Most reviewers have given it a 4 star review and if you go and disengaged your brain and just enjoy $ 175 000 000 of Eye Candy on the screen with magnificent 50 foot robots transforming and beating the shit out of each other you will not be dissapointed. Its taken $ 263 000 000 at the US box office and people who thought Bay would produce a Turkey have been foreced to eat their words. Bring on T2 when I would like to see Spielberg take over the directing helm as that could be something really special.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
hired the Number 23 tonight, review to follow

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Finally got round to watching Pans Labryinth. A visualy stunning film and well acted but as a bit of political propoganda it was poor.

Them a French Horror/ thriller about a young couple in Romania being terrorised in their home by a mysterious group. It was based on a true story. This could of been so much better but it just didn't work. There was no suspense or tension and you didn't feel for the main characters.

White noise II oh dear what a naff film. I enjoyed the first one but this was just so bad.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
23 - 7.2

This got poor reviews but once I got my head around it, it was a decent enough thriller and Carrey was good and I could not understand the reviews saying he was miscast as he wasn't, reminded me a bit of the Machinist in the twist and tale and this was worth a watch most definately.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Waitress: A genuinely warming and laugh-out-loud funny film that, aside from the tragic real-life death connected with this film, makes one think, and feel better, about life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Taxi Driver

De Niros simmering menace dominates every scene, and perfectly fits in with Scorcese's gruesome depiction of the scum-ridden streets of NYC's underclass. Captivating performances from De Niro and a star turn by a young (13 ?) Jodie Foster. The film builds superbly towards its blood-splattered climax as Bickle is gradually worn down by the filth and human decay around him and descends to a kind of madness. Cinema as it should be.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Blades of Glory 7.6 - a rather chucklesome DVD choice about a couple of rival men skaters competing together as a mens double when they were booted out of singles competitions. Quick a few very funny moments with Ferrell on top form and Heder moving into the big time roles after his superb turn as Napolean Dynamite , if you want a chuckle get it out, well I liked it anyway.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Smokin Aces

Absolute gorefest but highly entertaining with a very good twist at the end.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Transformers 8.8

Saw it again with a colleague as promised to myself and I and he did declare it is without a doubt the greatest action film ever made. The screen and sound system was so much better than Windermere.

Superb.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Transformers 8.8

Saw it again with a colleague as promised to myself and I and he did declare it is without a doubt the greatest action film ever made. The screen and sound system was so much better than Windermere.

Superb.

Agreed. Also, Megan Fox is a SAWT of the highest order.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The film is better than anyone in their wildest dreams could have hoped from as a live action film from a Japanese cartoon. It rocked from the first frame till the last without a minute of it dragging. Its all done firmly tongue in cheek and does not takes itself seriously and has many comedy moments ( intended ) and the special effects raises the bar to a level I wonder if a film will come as close for a long time. The story is decent enough and serves the action and Megan Fox is gorgeous and Shia Lebeoff shows a good comic touch and the transformations are beautiful and stunning, a real robot opera. The fact is gets an average 7.9 from over 70000 votes on imdb with 46% giving it 10 shows the general opinion it is a fine film. Roll on Transformers 2.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The film is better than anyone in their wildest dreams could have hoped from as a live action film from a Japanese cartoon. It rocked from the first frame till the last without a minute of it dragging. Its all done firmly tongue in cheek and does not takes itself seriously and has many comedy moments ( intended ) and the special effects raises the bar to a level I wonder if a film will come as close for a long time. The story is decent enough and serves the action and Megan Fox is gorgeous and Shia Lebeoff shows a good comic touch and the transformations are beautiful and stunning, a real robot opera. The fact is gets an average 7.9 from over 70000 votes on imdb with 46% giving it 10 shows the general opinion it is a fine film. Roll on Transformers 2.

Is there a Transformers 2 in the offing?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Simpsons

8.5 well I thought it was BRILLIANT. Like an extended TV episode but better.

And you get to see Barts winkie. LOL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here