Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
The Cave- 0/10 (just dont do it !)

Flightplan 4/10 (slow)

Inside Man 8/10

Memento 10/10 Brilliant film and its never mentioned by anyone.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
This week I have mostly seen:

Pierrepoint: Very good. Timothy Spall was fantastic. A very well told character study. 7.6

Junebug: Ok but pretty boring on the whole. Not funny enough, the characters weren't interesting enough and on the whole I thought it was quite cliched. 3.4

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Also watched The Lawless Heart today. Saw it at the cinema about 7 years ago but even on second viewing I have to say it was fantastic. Great performances, storyline and script. If you get a chance check it out. 8.3

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A quiet week on the film front. Went to the Cinema Sunday for the 7pm performance of Slither.

Had good reviews and settled down with 20 other people. The film was really a homage to 50's B Movies with silly monsters and dialogue.

But heres the rub , those films were B movies because they were usually shite.

The were some good moments and the effects and make up were very good but overall I left scratching my head and thinking was that ok or was it total shite.

I certainly would recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD with a few beers and not bothering going to the cinema to see it.

4.3 out of 10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wouldn't mind seeing Slither as it sounds a remake, in parts, of the wormy mirth of Tremors.
I will wait until a hospital say i can though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ill at home all weekend, so DVDs ahoy:

Ray - not bad at all, brilliant acting, slightly hammy flashback bits. Music from heaven, of course. 8.1.
Constant Gardener - not bad, fancy Rachel Weisz more than life itself but watched it with g/f. 8.2.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
jean de florette saturday evening film with the folks: still a great film after many viweings

le mepris: bardot looking horny, arty but a little dull

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Theres slim pickings at the moment, my next cinema visit is Eight Below and my next dvd is Hobeken Hollow.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
GG Spielberg, i know i am forgetful due to ongoing brain injury, but do you like the AI by your namesake?
I really do think that is incredibly showing of his career and how development died in his lower teen years that re-lived for moments in Indiana Jones and Jaws alone.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Judge Dredd - It's shit, but does look quite pretty at time

Final Destination - I really enjoyed it, for what it was

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
AI - That divides opinion. I think it is superb and they end which most people deride I think is the strongest part of the film. Its when the whole story comes together, visually stunning with a strong story 8.3 out of 10.

Imdb gives it 7.0 but there are lots of people who consider it the greatest film of all time.

About 7th on Spielberg's all time list for me.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Uncle Spielberg said:
AI - That divides opinion. I think it is superb and they end which most people deride I think is the strongest part of the film. Its when the whole story comes together, visually stunning with a strong story 8.3 out of 10.

Imdb gives it 7.0 but there are lots of people who consider it the greatest film of all time.

About 7th on Spielberg's all time list for me.

How are you classifying a lot? more than ten?

It made me think how poor 2001 would have been if Spielberg had made it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:salute:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Business - OK, typical Nick Love. Fairly likable but with nasty misogynistic overtones. 6.1

Primer - Low budget film about time travel but very well done considering the guy made it for $7000. It looks great and is very intelligent, however it is sometimes baffling and certain scenes don't work. Well worth a try though. 7.8

13 (Tzameti) - Strangely haunting Georgian/French co-production. Low budget and oddly compelling, its the story of a Georgian guy who travels to Paris hoping to make money in some curious deal he has found out about through a letter he found in the house of a guy whose roof he was repairing. It turns out it isn't a moneymaking scam but something much worse. Hard going to begin with due to the slow pace its well worth sticking with as things start to get out of control. 7.9

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 6.4

Some smashing songs and a great car :clap:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Watched Brotherhood last night. Had heard good things about it so thought I would give it a go. 10/10 f***ing excellent film. You have to put up with subtitles as it is Korean but who cares. Great war storey about the Korean war ( not surprising considering where it was made ). As good as Private Ryan in my bok and more graphical.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
March of the Penguins 6.4 - dvd

Lord of War 5.7 - dvd

Eight Below 7.5 - cinema

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Confetti and Silent hill

Confetti was quite funny, better than I thought.#
Silent hill was also quite good worth a view

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Clockwise.

Freebee with NOTW a few weeks back. Didn't do an awful lot to tickle my titterometer, its dated quite badly and the "climax" is poorly conceived and drags on far too long. Lots of loose ends as well.

3.3. Rather poor.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy I quite like Clockwise 6.3

Eight Below was very good indeed. I heard good things and the 7.2 on imdb is very respectable. Took $ 80 000 000 is the USA but has stiffed badly over here, infact 14 people were in the cinema today including us for the 12.20 pm showing but it is a heartwarming family film with good acting and some excellent scenes with the huskies. There were a few occasions when the tears were welling up and the 4 of us liked it very much. Certainly worth seeing and a recommended family film to hire when out od dvd. 7.5

March of the Penguins is breathtaking in its cinematography and has some good moments but it is a nature documentary first and foremost worth seeing but don't expect chase scenes and explosions 6.4

Lord of War - Cage is a seasoned reliable actor and he gave a solid performance as usual but the film did not grip me. It is really a moral statement from start to finish about the evils of war and arms trading and the USA Government took a bit of a beasting but it needed a bit more excitement or a character you could care about and a little less moralising 5.7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here