Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg - Was This You?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08072...ambler-places-record-world-cup-bet-loses.html

A British gambler placed the biggest World Cup bet of all time on Germany to beat Spain in the World Cup semi-final - and lost.

The £417,000 wager - that's half a million Euros - was placed with William Hill's telephone betting service at odds of 10/11, meaning the punter would have walked off with just under £800,000 if Joachim Loew's men had prevailed.

But Carles Puyol's winning second-half header put paid to the punter's dreams - and we doubt any fan in the world was screaming louder at their TV sets when the referee denied Germany a late penalty.

William Hill spokesman Graham Sharp admitted before the match that a Germany win would be a disaster, with the nation having received huge backing throughout the tournament including a £67,000 bet being placed on them before the championship at 14/1.

But Spain have also attracted the high-rollers, with one man putting £50,000 on Fernando Torres and co to lift the trophy.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Honestly, who has this sort of money to gamble?!?! :eek:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had £ 3 e/w on Mexico. That is the limit of my betting at the moment and for me that was LARGE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here