Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Sams Chilli Sauce

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Now I love an Uncle Sams, but tonight I am going to be cheating on them, by losing my BURGER OFF virginity. Apparently this place has a bit of a good reputation locally (I was told it was "legendary" by a very close friend) - and its XXX hot chilli burgers are ridic Worlds Hottest Chilli Burger at Burger Off, Brighton | dave lai - YouTube (NB. I have no idea who these student types are, but fair play for giving it a go!) Suffice to say I won't be ordering one of those bad boys, but if anyone else knows the place, can you recommend what I SHOULD order. Thank you kindly

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
The story when I was working there ( '89 ) was that they'd had a staff competition,a few years before that, to come up with the best recipe and it had been won by an Indian lady who was working in the "head office" by 89. Back then they had 5 shops. Defo a Tomlinson secret recipe though, they never let on what was in it and it turned up ready made in pots (unlike the garlic mayo which was mixed on site!)

Err... mate, that was when I worked there - 1989-1991. I did Saturdays and Sundays in London Road, then 12 months in West St and did my last 6 months in Montpelier Road. We probably worked together!

I also remember making the garlic mayo in those white handled buckets. Hand peeling 8 whole buds of garlic cloves and then crushing them directly in. My hands stunk for about a fortnight afterwards.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to get luncheon vouchers from work, so Uncle Sams in West Street was a fairly regular port of call.

A guy I used to work with fell down the spiral staircase one lunchtime, f***ed his knee and ended up wearing most of his banana milkshake down the front of his suit.

I honestly thought I was going to DIE laughing, and ended up vomiting in the toilet at work when I got back. Waste of a double cheese, but the memories are worth it.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Uncle Sams in Carden Avenue is absolutely rank. Stay away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The one in Durrington is shit too. Is the Broadwater one any good still?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Now I love an Uncle Sams, but tonight I am going to be cheating on them, by losing my BURGER OFF virginity. Apparently this place has a bit of a good reputation locally (I was told it was "legendary" by a very close friend) - and its XXX hot chilli burgers are ridic Worlds Hottest Chilli Burger at Burger Off, Brighton | dave lai - YouTube (NB. I have no idea who these student types are, but fair play for giving it a go!) Suffice to say I won't be ordering one of those bad boys, but if anyone else knows the place, can you recommend what I SHOULD order. Thank you kindly

Burger Off is the biz! Just order anything BUT the XXX gear. :lol:

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Burger Off is the biz! Just order anything BUT the XXX gear. :lol:

Thanks [MENTION=785]clippedgull[/MENTION] - I will keep it simple I think and go for a classic (or similar). If that goes well then it is likely that I will go more adventurous next time!

Jimmy Grimble

Uncle Sams > Grubbs

I sense a poll coming on here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As a bit of an expert on Chilli sauce I defy anyone to get hotter than this baby

http://extremefood.com/shop/home.php?cat=5

I got mine in the US, not sure if they mail order but if they do try the Ultra ... guaranteed fun at parties!!

I own(ed) deathsauce.co.uk ... which is directly because of Blair Death Sauce, after I tried some of it's bad boys in the US and Canada. Was going to do wholesale in the UK until they told me half that stuff is banned in this country due to its scoville heights! Bollocks! Just checked and I let the domain run out... ah well shit happens.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I put in a fair few shifts in Uncle Sams in the early eighties. Mainly West Street, where they were always looking for staff for the Friday/Saturday night shift. Gobbby types at pub kicking out time, were likely to get a whole load of chilli sauce whether they ordered it or not. There was a lot less hassle at the other locations, I worked at, but also less staff camaraderie.

Strangely even in those days there was a real Sams V Grubbs rivalry. I reckon the Malaysian has always been the joker in the Grubbs pack and many locals used to reckon Brighton had the number one and number two burger chains in the country. I have to say there is a bit more choice these days, but it is good that these two old rivals are still battling it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here