Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable 4th

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I mean it's a MIRCALE isn't it?

Many orcale's of NSC informed us when we were 7 points behind Middlesborough that the playoff dreams were "OVER".

Gus has "****ed it up" as one observer so eloquently put. 7 points would be IMPOSSIBLE to overturn with ONLY 17 games remaining. IMPOSSIBLE.

and THEN Gus DARES to be wanted by another team. HOW DARE he. Clearly that shows a lack of commitment to his team. Again, eloquently, many decided he should "**** off" if he doesnt want to be here.

All this time he is SWANNING off around the country WHORING himself for the Chelsea job by DARING to be a pundit at a game. Disgraceful.

And THEN, THEN he decides to be on tv only 4 days before a CRUCIAL gamne against Palace. Somehow he managed to travel all the way back from West London in time for the fixture which we fluked 3-0 despite the manager being absent for a whole evening when he should have been (according the nsc) on his phone getting in a loan striker who was apparently just sitting at home waiting by his phone.

Miracle I tell ye. MIRACLE.

You should work for the Irony Chronicle

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Great to be 4th but im sure we were 4th late on last season and then just blew it with the last 7 8 games?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great to be 4th but im sure we were 4th late on last season and then just blew it with the last 7 8 games?
With 3 games to go we were 8th, 8 points and a huge GD behind 4th, 5 points + GD behind 6th.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
If these sort of things depress you so much I'd suggest following a football team might not be the type of thing you would want to do !

- Murray leaving us for our arch rivals - players leave all the time and it was last season
- missing out on a star striker in the summer - but got one in January
- badly times injuries/suspensions - happens every season
- poyet heavily linked with a move away - always going to happen while we're doing well
- the court case - really not sure what this has to do with anything, none of the players, even Dunk, are really regular first teamers now

Perhaps read my post again. I was not referring to me having bad feelings about those things, just that there has been a lot of bad feeling on here about all of those things and that has contributed to that way we have slipped under the radar.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Well said.

I think where we are in the league is total credit to Gus taking the unpredictability out of our matches where he can. Last night was a good example. We knew Peterborough would batter us at times, so the main thing is to not concede, don't throw the kitchen sink at them too soon as we could end up paying for it and being involved in a 3-4 goal match. That's not what he wants. Defend well, nick a goal, go home with 3 points. We very nearly did that.

I'm loving this season and I honestly wouldn't mind if we don't go up - It's such fun watching matches where two equally matched teams go up against each other and tactics play such a huge role.

Agree with this 100%. Despite lots of complaint on here about too many draws, it's clear that making sure we don't lose matches has been critical to getting us where we are. We've lost only 9 matches this season so far. No other championship side has lost fewer matches than this (Cardiff is also on 9).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well said.

I think where we are in the league is total credit to Gus taking the unpredictability out of our matches where he can. Last night was a good example. We knew Peterborough would batter us at times, so the main thing is to not concede, don't throw the kitchen sink at them too soon as we could end up paying for it and being involved in a 3-4 goal match. That's not what he wants. Defend well, nick a goal, go home with 3 points. We very nearly did that.

I'm loving this season and I honestly wouldn't mind if we don't go up - It's such fun watching matches where two equally matched teams go up against each other and tactics play such a huge role.

Excellent post and a very good summing up of why we are 4th and not 7th or 8th.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I mean it's a MIRCALE isn't it?

Many orcale's of NSC informed us when we were 7 points behind Middlesborough that the playoff dreams were "OVER".

Gus has "****ed it up" as one observer so eloquently put. 7 points would be IMPOSSIBLE to overturn with ONLY 17 games remaining. IMPOSSIBLE.

and THEN Gus DARES to be wanted by another team. HOW DARE he. Clearly that shows a lack of commitment to his team. Again, eloquently, many decided he should "**** off" if he doesnt want to be here.

All this time he is SWANNING off around the country WHORING himself for the Chelsea job by DARING to be a pundit at a game. Disgraceful.

And THEN, THEN he decides to be on tv only 4 days before a CRUCIAL gamne against Palace. Somehow he managed to travel all the way back from West London in time for the fixture which we fluked 3-0 despite the manager being absent for a whole evening when he should have been (according the nsc) on his phone getting in a loan striker who was apparently just sitting at home waiting by his phone.

Miracle I tell ye. MIRACLE.

It's ALMOST like he ACTUALLY knows what he's doing :mad:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In the circumstances, second season up from the first div. - a team in the building, we have already done brilliantly no matter what lies ahead.

The difference between drawing and winning is a forward who can turn a chance into a goal - they are hard to come by and harder to keep

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Agree with you completely but you know that if we fall out of the playoffs/don't get promoted there'll be a fair few on here trying to convince everyone that the club/team/Gus have failed. Tiresome but inevitable.

:albion2:they can say what they like but the fair few aint got a CLUE :amex:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In statistical terms it would be surprising to put it mildly if we didn't finish top 6. We have:

1. Fewest defeats
2. Fewest away defeats
3. Best defensive record.

That said:

The team that have lost the 2nd most matches in the division is...Middlesbrough (10th)
The team in 23rd spot (Barnsley) have only won 3 less games than the team in 4th (us)
The team in 22nd spot (Huddesfield) have only lost 4 more matches than the team in 2nd (Hull)
The bottom team (Bristol City - relegated) have only scored 2 less goals than the team in 2nd (Hull)
The team in 21st (Wolves) have only conceded 8 goals more than the team in 3rd (Watford)

And...my personal favourite...the three teams in 20th, 21st and 22nd have each won 7 away matches. Yet the teams in 4th , 5th and 6th spots have won 7, 6 and 5 respectively.

and they say that 72.459% of all stats are made up!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
BUT, if we don't go up, then will Gus be with us next season?

And if he goes, what happens to Spanish Dave, Orlandi, Leo, Bruno, Vicente...

(I haven't included Calde in that list, he's going nowhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
- the court case - really not sure what this has to do with anything, none of the players, even Dunk, are really regular first teamers now
The reason Dunk isn't a first teamer is probably because of the court case. To play at the top of your ability requires a lot of commitment and concentration, which can't be easy when there's possibility you'll be going to prison.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason Dunk isn't a first teamer is probably because of the court case. To play at the top of your ability requires a lot of commitment and concentration, which can't be easy when there's possibility you'll be going to prison.
I guess the case could be made, the reason Dunk is still with us, is probably because of the court case.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

the other reason being El Abd is better than him and Dunk is yet to prove he is up to it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the other reason being El Abd is better than him and Dunk is yet to prove he is up to it
Nah. Dunk showed last year that he has the makings of a good defender (better than the glorious El-Abd).

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Frankly, this season has shown steady progress from last season, even if we fail to go up. Last season we finished 10th - at this stage with 3 to play, someone has printed the stat that we were 8th, 5 points adrift of the 6th place with a GD deficit too. At the beginning of the season I thought that even a place nearer the playoffs would have been acceptable, as that would show continued progress..... as it happens I'll be very disappointed if we don't now finish in the top 6, but when the dust has settled, I'd accept that as a good season.
Fingers crossed, we are now looking very handy for the playoffs. THAT would be excellent, no matter how that little adventure turns out! Anything can happen in the playoffs... remember 2004, when we were second best for much of all three matches?

But even so - we are pretty certain now to finish much higher than tenth - and Id have taken that back in August.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anything can happen in the playoffs... remember 2004, when we were second best for much of all three matches?
Not in the final, Bristol never looked like scoring. I've never been so relaxed in such an important game.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Not in the final, Bristol never looked like scoring. I've never been so relaxed in such an important game.

Eh? I was having kittens throughout.... apart from Leon hitting the bar, until the Iwelumo flop down in front of me, I thought we played no football at all.... not that it mattered of course - great day, and who the hell cares in the end if you win!?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I always said its not all over to the Fat lady sings. This is why we should support the team thru thick and thin and judge them over the whole season as we been writing them off on this forum when they have a bad result.
We still might fall at the last hurdle lets get behind them at the Amex or away its all to play for. Remember we nearly went out of the league. Thank you DK and TB and GP and the fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here