Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Un-bel-ievable. I thought I'd heard it all! Absolute joke, farce.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I was working in the construction industry in the UK I remember a lot of Contractors rubbing their hands when the Government introduced its Private Finance Initiative and Private Public Partnership to build and maintain facilities like schools and hospitals for 25 years. They were able to basically ‘flip’ or sell on the projects a few years after completion. Some of the major contractors trousered hundreds of millions of pounds at the tax payers expense. It then turned out a lot of the funds that bought up the contracts were based in tax havens so the profits disappeared offshore. The owners of these contracts were guaranteed an increase each year for running the facility as well as revenue from shops, cafes and car parking which otherwise would have gone to the NHS. No doubt the numpties who came up with this ill thought out plan are still in employment and looking forward to their index linked pensions and almost certain OBEs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The travel news on LBC this morning said Thameslink were running a reduced service between blackfriars and gatwick "to help reduce congestion on the network"

This is possibly the most ridiculous excuse since ghe wrong type of snow

I hope that was a comfort to those of you waiting on a platform in the freezing cold

theboybilly

The travel news on LBC this morning said Thameslink were running a reduced service between blackfriars and gatwick "to help reduce congestion on the network"

This is possibly the most ridiculous excuse since ghe wrong type of snow

I hope that was a comfort to those of you waiting on a platform in the freezing cold

Not only Thameslink but Gatwick Express too. So since Southern took them over customers have lost the 'train ready waiting on the designated platform', the on-board hosts, the refreshment trolleys, and now a decimated service (eg no departure between 19.29 and 20.29 this evening and many more cancellations throughout the day). The xx:00, xx:15, 00;30 and 00:45 departure times from Victoria been moved back a minute also in attempt to improve punctuality. All the while the customers continue to pay double for the privilege of not stopping at Clapham Jct or East Croydon. A complete and utter farce and one that will hopefully see Go-Ahead (or GoVia) lose the franchise

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The numerous civil servants/council/public/utility workers being weeded out of £100k jobs where they would not be employed above £40k in the private sector is not before time.

I think you're over-estimating the efficiency of the private sector. I've spent nearly 40 years working in the private sector and met many bright, efficient hard-working executives but I've also met many people on salaries well above £40,000 who I wouldn't trust to sit the right way on a toilet. The idea that people only get promoted on merit in the private sector is a fanciful one.

Having said that, I do agree with Simster's assertion that there's fantastic incompetence around. When I become dictator of this country, one of my first laws will be to make people take financial responsibility for decisions that cost the tax-payers money. In other words, make a cock-up and it's felt in your pay packet. Too many public sector managers have, in Baldwin's words, power without responsibility - the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here